What's new

How To Make Modern Gun Sound Effects For Film & Video Games

Tyler Gillis

Aftertouch Audio
How To Make Modern Gun Sound Effects For Film & Video Games

The Guns in Call Of Duty Vanguard sound absolutely incredible. In this video, I'm going to be breaking down everything I've learned over the years studying the impressive Sound Design of the Call Of Duty Series.

In my last video about Modern Gun Sound Design, I took a very basic look at how to get pro-level gun sounds. I want to break down every element of every layer that I use when designing COD-level gun sounds. We will be going over The difference between film guns and video game guns, Sampling Guns, Layering Weapons, Extra Sound Effects to include, Processing, Reverbs. This video is all about pro-level gun sound effects, how to capture them, and how to create them.​

Very interesting!

Maybe I missed it, but I think you didn't mention anything about realtime audio processing, 3d audio, etc, which is super common in games these days and contributes a lot to the final sound.

I think Wwise is probably the most common audio engine for games. AFAIK it's used by many AAA studios such as Ubisoft and CDPR.

Very interesting!

Maybe I missed it, but I think you didn't mention anything about realtime audio processing, 3d audio, etc, which is super common in games these days and contributes a lot to the final sound.

I think Wwise is probably the most common audio engine for games. AFAIK it's used by many AAA studios such as Ubisoft and CDPR.

You are correct, the video is more geared to making the dry assets which then can be placed in your middleware of choice. Not really an implementation tutorial.

Just FYI for anyone interested in this, it’s possible to buy royalty-free SFX of high quality from these guys:

They have sample libraries with explosions, Medieval guns and a whole lot more.

Not trying to derail the thread OP, it‘s just for future reference whenever someone‘s looking for gun sounds and finds this thread, but would prefer to buy stuff that was already sampled. Hope it’s ok 🙂
Hey, these are awesome sounds, I use them a lot. I actually have them and a lot more sample libraries in the description of the video =^.^=

(I loathe guns but) Frank Bry is brilliant at weapons recording - his libraries are worth investigating:

recent collab with Charles Maine:

(I loathe guns but) Frank Bry is brilliant at weapons recording - his libraries are worth investigating:

recent collab with Charles Maine:
All of his libraries are top-notch.

Top Bottom