What's new

How to download or record audio from Youtube?

youtube-dl (and some of the other solutions mentioned) will download an entire playlist with a single command without any manual intervention required, and they don't require you to play each video start to end.
The original post asks about both recording and downloading. Yes, if one wants to download audio/playlists fast, this won't do it. Have you identified a downloader that you're confident isn't an exercise in malware or tracking? These kinds of apps are often marketed in a way that gives me little confidence in the legitimacy of the software.

Last edited:
The original post asks about both recording and downloading. Yes, if one wants to download audio/playlists fast, this won't do it. Have you identified a downloader that you're confident isn't an exercise in malware or tracking? These kinds of apps are often marketed in a way that gives me little confidence in the legitimacy of the software.
You're right, I missed the recording bit in the original post. Youtube-dl is the tool I use, no malware there as far as I know but I haven't examined the source code, but it has 4200 forks so at least some of the source has been examined by others and I haven't seen any malware issues reported.

Yes, if one wants to download audio/playlists fast, this won't do it. Have you identified a downloader that you're confident isn't an exercise in malware or tracking?
AFAIK all the apps, both Mac and PC, that've been mentioned so far are malware-and-SPAM-free.

Funny. Clipgrab never seem to work for me. Always something wrong with the source. Any solid solution is highly welcomed!

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

You have to stay up-to-date.

YouTube apparently keeps making changes, and ClipGrab updates usually follow these with fixes within a few days.

Top Bottom