What's new

How to create the choppy. glitchy fx

b_elliott

A work in progress.
A question to those who know....

Here is a snippet of a sound I am trying to create (Short Example).

My question is how to create such an effect using a synth and fx processors?

Is it samples with no sustain, quick release? Or, is it achieved through compression? Or, or, or. :thumbsdown:

If you know of a Youtube tutorial covering this query, I'd appreciate a link(s).

Best, Bill

Attachments

• short example.mp3
    99.6 KB
Usually a combination of things, trance gates, filters, tape stops. I highly recommend Meldaproduction MRythmizer for this. The multiband version is even more fun. Izotope have something similar I think. (I guess it’s in MSF as well? Never checked)

Last edited:

Is it samples with no sustain, quick release? Or, is it achieved through compression? Or, or, or. :thumbsdown:

If you know of a Youtube tutorial covering this query, I'd appreciate a link(s).

Best, Bill
Perhaps this will help. This guy is a master of chop-synthing. https://www.youtube.com/c/SeamlessR

Thanks Doc and Marcus. That is exactly what I needed to know.

SilentOnAll how could I have forgotten Seamlessr. Time to revisit after several years away from his site. Thanks!

When I just now listened to Melda's MrthymizerMB audio example; it reminds me of Breaktweaker which I have from several BF's ago.
The Mrhythmizer sounds right for what I want -- lookee here on sale this week! Cool.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc and Marcus. That is exactly what I needed to know.

When I just now listened to Melda's MrthymizerMB audio example; it reminds me of Breaktweaker which I have from several BF's ago.
The Mrhythmizer sounds right for what I want -- lookee here on sale this week! Cool.
Check MSF to see if you couldn’t just load up MRythmizer in there as well, and go all Inception on your dubstep loops, much like loading MDrummer inside MSF ;)

Check MSF to see if you couldn’t just load up MRythmizer in there as well, and go all Inception on your dubstep loops, much like loading MDrummer inside MSF ;)
See my Licecap video. Could be named something differently, so I am missing what I do have?? The joys of noobness!

Attachments

• Not seeing MRhythmizer inside my MSF.gif
    Not seeing MRhythmizer inside my MSF.gif
    1 MB · Views: 3
Dunno if you've found this already:

Doesn't really spill all the beans about the bass, but I think it does show that it's just standard dubstep bass stuff, resampled.

One option is Effectrix from Sugar Bytes.

It has a "Vinyl" slot that makes the tape stop thing.

One much too obvious thing I would like to point out, before making a few alternatives I like to use:
I once watched an interview with an artist I liked and he started talking about his process for glitchy effects (in this case stuttered and chopped up sample playback) and I was very surprised to hear him say that he just cuts it up manually in the DAW.
At the time I was so glad to have found FX and hardware which allowed me to perform these things that I couldn't believe people actually liked do to that manually.

However...
Maschine has a wide array of performance oriented glitch and granular FX.
The Reaktor user library is also full of them
Blinksonic does wonderful stuff in that area too

There's a newer, paid version that's probably also good.

I honestly wouldn’t recommend Glitch, it’s not bad by any means but it shows it’s age, I have it and I hardly ever use it these days, Sutter Edit 2 is really the best on the market

Best, Bill
That Wubby sound is some soft of MSGE (multi stage envelope generator) modulating filter cutoff. Weird "WIRRRRR" sound I've never been able to figure that one out. But, it's just a standard on off amp envelope cutting it off.

Xfer's OOT compressor is giving it a modern edge and loud sound.

Trance gates and stuff are cool but they tend imo to put you into a groove that's hard to break out of. For glitch effects, believe it or not, the plugins like reverse, transgates, ect are just kind of lazy man tools for how it should really be done which is to record that shit to audio and start coping it up like like it's 1999. That way you have total control over each bit of audio, you can reverse it, put a tape stop on it, pitch it, sweep it, pan it, stutter it, filter it. Working with audio directly gives you a lot of freedom, ect... It's the reason non destructive editing was created.

Damn, I date myself.

That Wubby sound is some soft of MSGE (multi stage envelope generator) modulating filter cutoff. Weird "WIRRRRR" sound I've never been able to figure that one out. But, it's just a standard on off amp envelope cutting it off.

Xfer's OOT compressor is giving it a modern edge and loud sound.

Trance gates and stuff are cool but they tend imo to put you into a groove that's hard to break out of. For glitch effects, believe it or not, the plugins like reverse, transgates, ect are just kind of lazy man tools for how it should really be done which is to record that shit to audio and start coping it up like like it's 1999. That way you have total control over each bit of audio, you can reverse it, put a tape stop on it, pitch it, sweep it, pan it, stutter it, filter it. Working with audio directly gives you a lot of freedom, ect... It's the reason non destructive editing was created.

Damn, I date myself.
Cool. I am nearing the stage "arrangement is done" so likely will try a combo of the suggested tools; however, the manual 90's mode oddly seems more promising for what I want.
Thanks for this data!

Cool. I am nearing the stage "arrangement is done" so likely will try a combo of the suggested tools; however, the manual 90's mode oddly seems more promising for what I want.
Thanks for this data!

I do a combination of both, for the metal stuff I do I always chop up my riffs and create stutters and glitchy stuff by hand, but then I’ll use Stutter Edit 2 as a MIDI controlled effect and then I can get even crazier

Top Bottom