What's new

How to become an Ogre - Low end cleanup

Jerry Growl

Composing Music in the Plastic Dark Ages
Hi,

It's hard to get a natural sounding low end (especially when mixing on small speakers)

Any suggestions? EQ per track where needed? Or just in the master?

Any tips / critique on the composition & orchestration are also welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi Jerry

As a matter of low-ends, I think you did pretty well with this track. I'm not sure what this comparison is worth, but just so that you know, I paused Zimmer's OST for Planet Earth II in order to listen to your piece and I got the feeling that the EQ balance was quite close.

Very pleasant orchestration and composition, I particulary liked the use of percussions / aux. percussions, added lovely colors to the rhythms. I was maybe a bit confused by some moments as I was not sure whether they were swinging a little or they were being slitghly out-of-sync, but nothing really disturbing.

You should be careful with your dB levels though, your mix is very clearly saturating (0:39 and ahead) when the music peaks.

I would definetely recommand setting your low-ends with individual EQs. Mastering is supposed to surgically adjust the last details, not fix a weakness of the downmix.

Last edited:
Hi Jerry

You should be careful with your dB levels though, your mix is very clearly saturating (0:39 and ahead) when the music peaks.

I would defenitely recommand setting your low-ends with individual EQs. Mastering is supposed to surgically adjust the last details, not fix a weakness of the downmix.
Thank you, I will fix the saturation as soon as i can and replace the audio in the above link. The clumsiness in the drums was partially intended. :)

Edit: I've replaced the audio with a new mix today

Last edited:
Top Bottom