What's new

How to avoid pops and clicks and overloading your daw just by adding VEP7 locally. No additional computers required.

amadeus1

Hi guys,

I know many of you use Vienna Ensemble Pro in your workstations and VEP allows you to network additional computers which allow you to use very large templates. But some who don't use Vienna Ensemble Pro may be unaware that using VEP7 on your workstation locally can be extremely powerful to avoid overloading your daw's audio performance, no matter what DAW you use.

Here's a video showing how powerful VEP7 can be used locally.

Best,

Bill

The thing is, it's impossible to evaluate this without information on the system and concrete information on the load. Which Mac, what are the processor and RAM specs, what else is running and what's your buffer size? If you're going to make a further video, it would be helpful to know what Activity Monitor is showing for the examples. Data from Intel Power Gadget would also be helpful.

I do think that it would be useful if someone tested this, but it requires data to be meaningful. Watching your video, there's no way for me to assess what benefits, if any, VEP7 has for my own Mac and use of virtual instruments, and therefore no way to assess whether VEP7 is worth purchasing.

Last edited:
And it includes Epic Orchestra 2.0, 73 GB of Synchron samples as well as 5 professional VSL plugins!

Looks like your a VSL fan :) Just got the Synchron WWs and they are Amazing. Do you have Dimension Brass (Synchron) as i would love to see what they sound like, as there is very few Videos out there about them (Since being Synchronized)

Excellent , i did use local but not as much as i should. I have decided to use my 16gb Laptop to Run Cubase and Nuendo , and then Vienna Pro my Main PC and Slave PC.

Its not the RAM that is an issue with Cubase (i have 256GB of the bloody stuff on one PC) but it tends to hang/ glitch once you get to 70+ Kontakt instances sometimes. Using Midi alone, even with alot of tracks, i am hoping the Laptop can keep up: Just gotta find a suitable interface for it (laptop).

Looking forward to your Video with Cubase , and Vienna 7 local. Not looking forward to re doing all my templates!

BTW Does anyone else use VST Sync with Cubase? I eventually got it to work with Nuendo /Cubase , and while it was really good , it does not track tempo changes properly. That and needing its own Digital Audio channel, which was a lot of hassle to get working with two RME pcies.

And it includes Epic Orchestra 2.0, 73 GB of Synchron samples as well as 5 professional VSL plugins!
If I may ask, how good is the epic orchestra 2 and the VSL plugins? At the moment i am working off an 8th gen i5 laptop with 8gb ram (I know it is a very basic system for composing) and only have the east west composer cloud, and wondering if this would be a good investment?

If I may ask, how good is the epic orchestra 2 and the VSL plugins? At the moment i am working off an 8th gen i5 laptop with 8gb ram (I know it is a very basic system for composing) and only have the east west composer cloud, and wondering if this would be a good investment?
I'd say it's an excellent deal, vep7, epic orchestra 2, and 5 professional plugins by VSL. The Synchron player is also included.

@amadeus1 Thanks for the video. I'm thinking about using VE-Pro 7 locally on my PC.

I'm guessing it will also allow the loading of more instances/instruments such as Kontakt, VSL-VI Pro, SINE, SA-Player, ..etc. when using orchestral libraries on the same computer when they are hosted in VE-Pro 7.

Hopefully the workflow to integrate VE-Pro 7 as a local host is not too convoluted, or too time consuming to setup. I use Presonus Studio One Pro 4. But it should be relatively similar to setting it up on Cubase.

Last edited:
The thing is, it's impossible to evaluate this without information on the system and concrete information on the load. Which Mac, what are the processor and RAM specs, what else is running and what's your buffer size? If you're going to make a further video, it would be helpful to know what Activity Monitor is showing for the examples. Data from Intel Power Gadget would also be helpful.

I do think that it would be useful if someone tested this, but it requires data to be meaningful. Watching your video, there's no way for me to assess what benefits, if any, VEP7 has for my own Mac and use of virtual instruments, and therefore no way to assess whether VEP7 is worth purchasing.
Hi Rory, the video was relative to my computer, but the benefit was clearly great, and that was on just one machine. My specs are a 12 core mac pro with 64 gigs of ram. The buffer size was 512 and I was running camtasia, cubase, digital performer, and a virtual piano. Anyone running a daw, no matter what their specs will benefit from Vep7 and you also get 73 gigs of a synchron library as well as 5 professional plugins by VSL which are a compressor, exciter, analyzer, limiter, and equalizer as well as surround sound capabilities for mixing, balance, and pan. If you run more than one computer, mac or pc, (it's cross platform) the results are astounding.

Anyone running a daw, no matter what their specs will benefit from Vep7 and you also get 73 gigs of a synchron library as well as 5 professional plugins by VSL which are a compressor, exciter, analyzer, limiter, and equalizer as well as surround sound capabilities for mixing, balance, and pan. If you run more than one computer, mac or pc, (it's cross platform) the results are astounding.

I am interested in the performance of VEP7 with Logic, not in VSL's marketing freebies. I'm sure you mean well, but basic data relevant to assessing computer performance is completely absent from your YouTube video, which is only partly rectified by your new post in this forum. The links that I provided, the assessment having been based on actual testing, raise doubts about Logic in particular. This is not surprising. Certain Apple apps perform notably better on MacOS than do competing apps due to close integration with the operating system. Final Cut Pro X is a well-known example. There's no shortage of discussions about what Adobe went through two years ago to try to improve Premiere Pro performance, relative to Final Cut, on a Mac. Logic may well be another example.

Before I spend money on VEP7, I want to know whether it improves Logic performance and by how much. I assume that you regard those as reasonable questions. Unfortunately, there are no answers in your video, and your new post still lacks basic info on performance. That would require setting up and monitoring load via MacOS Activity Monitor (and not just from its main window) and from an app like Intel's free Power Gadget.

I enjoy your music videos, but assessment of computer and app performance may not be your forté :)

Last edited:
Wow......Just wow.
Does he work for vsl and owe you that information? There is a demo for you to download and be able to try it for yourself.

No good deed goes unpunished indeed.

@amadeus1 , have you ever tried vsl at 64 size sample buffer? That is what i work at 95% of the time....

thanks
rsp

I am interested in the performance of VEP7 with Logic, not in VSL's marketing freebies. I'm sure you mean well, but basic data relevant to assessing computer performance is completely absent from your YouTube video, which is only partly rectified by your new post in this forum. The links that I provided, the assessment having been based on actual testing, raise doubts about Logic in particular. This is not surprising. Certain Apple apps perform notably better on MacOS than do competing apps due to close integration with the operating system. Final Cut Pro X is a well-known example. There's no shortage of discussions about what Adobe went through two years ago to try to improve Premiere Pro performance, relative to Final Cut, on a Mac. Logic may well be another example.

Before I spend money on VEP7, I want to know whether it improves Logic performance and by how much. I assume that you regard those as reasonable questions. Unfortunately, there are no answers in your video, and your new post still lacks basic info on performance. That would require setting up and monitoring load via MacOS Activity Monitor (and not just from its main window) and from an app like Intel's free Power Gadget.

I enjoy your music videos, but assessment of computer and app performance may not be your forté :)
Going through all the possible hardware configurations of computers, daw software, various operating systems, cpu combinations both in mac and windows, would require an enormous amount of time and resources. Actually, the discussion is academic, you can download a free trial and easily see for yourself :)

@Amadeus, you invited people to watch your video and presumably to comment on it. I did both. My observations about the video raise issues about assessing computer and app performance that are well-understood, and the links that I referred to raise questions about VEP and Logic in particular. I even offered a reason, based on having a fair amount of experience with MacOS integration for Final Cut and Compressor, why the Logic results may be what they are. Apparently you don't appreciate what I had to say. Cool.

Top Bottom