1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to afford all that?

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by MrJul, Feb 1, 2018.

1. RRBE Sound

RRBE Sound Senior Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Denmark
    Super great! - I am also not writing that people should buy a Mac Pro - I am just writing what I did, as a part of my example of how I tackled the ''No money - need lots of gear'' - issue - It's just my case that I really like Apple products. :D

As I wrote, I started by building a Hackintosh, before buying a Mac Pro. I used a MacBook Pro before, I build that.

Price-wise, I do think PC is great, - But again, you can come a long way buying secondhand, Mac or PC.

Now, back to topic :)

2. AlexRuger

AlexRuger Senior Member

Ok, let's just clear this up and avoid another platform war. There are best practices for both platforms. If you're literally spending hours hunting down random drivers, you are not following best practices.

This is Windows, not Linux -- drivers are a minor concern at worst. Know what hardware you have, download drivers only from the manufacturer's website, research before updating, the end.

For the record, I absolutely agree that a Mac is the best choice for the majority of people who are starting out (and that probably the best entry into this gear is Apogee or UAD, plus Composer Cloud -- all a fantastic way to get going). MacOS is still far and away my favorite OS, even though I'm now on Windows.

givemenoughrope and RRBE Sound like this.
  3. Matt Riley

Matt Riley Senior Member

Very true for me too. And I own both. Last year Windows updated and my display monitor when crazy. I couldn't make anything out on the screen because everything was jumbled. I had to bring in a tech guy who troubleshooted for several hours and had to restore from a backup. Now auto update is disabled (which was a complicated process) so I haven't had problems since. I also keep my PC of the internet so that helps.

4. givemenoughrope

givemenoughrope Senior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I can't really imagine my next round being Macs...although they are easy peasy for general computing, email, etc. Seems like there should be one Mac in the room just for the random AU plugin or Logic. And maybe also a Hackintosh.

5. OP
    OP
    MrJul

MrJul Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I don't know! What about professionals like @Rctec?

6. jonathanparham

jonathanparham Senior Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    Can't speak for @Rtec but I'd search the threads because on this forum, He's posted at length about getting started in the business, specifically at his facility if I recall correctly. Also, in his masterclass he said something to the effect that your first clients may be just using gear like an ipad and a microphone lol. What I felt was communicated in that comment was, what's already mentioned in your/THIS thread, making the best music and telling musically good stories with what you can already can afford.

7. X-Bassist

X-Bassist Senior Member

Sep 26, 2015
    HZ bought a used synth from a friend back in the 90’s, so even he was not beyond buying 2nd hand and making it work. Now he has a facility for mixing 5.1, but in most cases unless you’re mixing for features or it is requested by the client; it’s fine to work in stereo. In those cases where you need to mix surround you can always rent a film dubb stage or surround studio for a day or two and do your final mix, but working up pieces in surround is a strain on the computer and not a great use of time.

8. Vik

Vik Senior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Buy only what you know you need right now.

RRBE Sound likes this.
  9. Daryl

Daryl Senior Member

Mar 25, 2006
    What about HZ? Whilst he is undoubtedly a good mix engineer, he also gets someone in for a fresh pair of ears. He is also writing high end material for budgets way outside that of any noob. Forget HZ. His current set-up is not pertinent to the discussion.

RRBE Sound likes this.
  10. tmhuud

tmhuud Brown Belt

Nov 19, 2006
    Hollywood
    Don’t waste your time with 5.1. You’d have to never move from a single position while composing to get the effect. And imagine if you have say 5 people over, director, a few producers , etc and they’re listening. They are going to be all over your studio and that one sound you carefully placed in the back right speaker is going to distract the shit out of them and take them out of their concentrating on your composition and their picture.

I remember HGW talking about how he tried 5.1 for composing in his studio and it was a disaster.

RRBE Sound likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    MrJul

MrJul Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Thank you all once again for these useful answers! :)

RRBE Sound likes this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Oslo
    Hi
    I've never ever needed a 5.1 system. Also, I have never invested a lot in "toys". Lately I have done some investments, but now I have a steady income.

Rule nr. 1: Get a daytime job so you get some income.
    Rule nr. 2: Use your time to investigate/explore the realm of music production
    Rule nr. 3: Make awesome music
    Rule nr. 4: Be a good seller. Know how to pitch your own music
    Rule nr. 5: Keep your daytime job, even when you get a really nice paycheck for some musical work.
    Rule nr. 6: Never invest in something you couldn't pay upfront.

good luck! ;)

Wolfie2112 and RRBE Sound like this.
  13. VinRice

VinRice ... i am a robot ...

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
    To re-iterate what others have said:

Have a job or side business - particularly at the beginning
    Don't buy on credit
    You don't need 5.1
    Invest in lessons, books, videos etc - increasing your skill level is absolutely essential.

14. Greg

Greg Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I think there is only one thing you need. Creative inspiration. If you're inspired and have an idea, you will find a way to unleash it no matter what you're working with. People can pick up on an idea when it's fresh and inspired even if the samples are complete shit. That's one thing that completely boggles me about music, it seems to carry an unquantifiable energy that you can only feel when it's a truly special piece.

15. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I’ve just been building my Music Lab by buying bit by bit over years. I always invest money from any paid music job back into Music. I guess I could have got a loan but getting into such debt is bad news with a lot of stress in my opinion.

merlinhimself likes this.
  16. R. Soul

R. Soul Senior Member

Jan 7, 2006
    London, UK
    The biggest thing I've learnt over the years is:
    Buy cheap, but not too cheap.

For example, don't spend £50 on a software synth, when several of the best on the market only costs £150.
    Another example is monitors. A pair of JBL LSR305 will only set you back around £200. But cheaper than that is probably not worth it.
    So, you can get decent quality for little money. Once you have a lot more money, there's always better gear out there, but it's pointless spending £2000 on monitors, and only having £500 left for the rest of the gear.