What's new

How 's the situation overseas? (RCP/BF Internship)

Leo Brennauer

Hi everybody!

I wanted to ask some of you, based in Los Angeles, how the situation is ATM? Do you guys have strong restrictions according Covid-19? Is it true that a lot of artists are literally fleeing away from LA?

Besides me, being a little curious, I ask, because I was planing on going to LA for a couple of months. My goal was for sure not to make any career steps, but just to get to know the city a little better. I'm in my last year of study (composition for film, media in zurich) and I wanted to somehow try to do an internship at RCP or BF. I for sure know, I'm one of hundreds if not thousands applying at the place, so the chances are low. The question is: Is it realistic at all, having this pandemic around? I heard from assistants of composers, a view months ago, that they're not taking any interns due to Covid.

I applied at BF and RCP a view months ago but never got a reply. So maybe you got some advice, if its worth at all to focus further on applying or if I would be better served waiting another year or two.

---------------------------------

Btw: I decided to go "none-hidden" with my name, that's why this is a new account and my first post ever. I have been around quite a while.

muk

Hi Leo, nice to meet a fellow Zurich-based composer! How is the curriculum at ZHdK these days?

Regarding internshios at RCP, I remember posting Hans on this forum that the first test is whether you can actually find the place. It sounded like to have a chance you need to show up in person. I have no idea whether this still applies in the current situation.

GNP

I once took a piss at RCP. Toilet was really nice! Didn't get the internship though. Haha

b_elliott

Hi everybody!

I wanted to ask some of you, based in Los Angeles, how the situation is ATM? Do you guys have strong restrictions according Covid-19? Is it true that a lot of artists are literally fleeing away from LA?
Hi Leo, Though I am currently on the East Coast, I observed a few things: My baseball team just played games in Oakland, CA = the ball park was a ghost town in attendance, compared to last night's game in Houston, TX which had +1000s in its park. Neither at pre-covid levels attendance-wise, but still night and day impact on different states.

This dashboard link will give an overview of Santa Monica covid situation.

Best of luck on your goals.

A.Dern

Film Composer
Hi everybody!

Besides me, being a little curious, I ask, because I was planing on going to LA for a couple of months. My goal was for sure not to make any career steps, but just to get to know the city a little better. I'm in my last year of study (composition for film, media in zurich) and I wanted to somehow try to do an internship at RCP or BF. I for sure know, I'm one of hundreds if not thousands applying at the place, so the chances are low. The question is: Is it realistic at all, having this pandemic around? I heard from assistants of composers, a view months ago, that they're not taking any interns due to Covid.

I applied at BF and RCP a view months ago but never got a reply. So maybe you got some advice, if its worth at all to focus further on applying or if I would be better served waiting another year or two.

---------------------------------

Btw: I decided to go "none-hidden" with my name, that's why this is a new account and my first post ever. I have been around quite a while.
We're now in very light lockdown conditions - the lightest tier actually. Vaccines have been available for everyone 16 and older since mid April so we're expecting the majority of California to be immune by summer. I'd expect things will fully open back up around that time, at least that's the latest info. I'd also assume that's when internships will become more available at larger composer studios, especially shared lots with many people going in and out.

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
We're now in very light lockdown conditions - the lightest tier actually. Vaccines have been available for everyone 16 and older since mid April so we're expecting the majority of California to be immune by summer. I'd expect things will fully open back up around that time, at least that's the latest info. I'd also assume that's when internships will become more available at larger composer studios, especially shared lots with many people going in and out.
That is very good to know!

What is BF?

OP
Leo Brennauer

Leo Brennauer

Thanks for the information Anne-Kathrin. Where did you start your first intern when you moved from germany to LA?

(Btw, it is a very inspiring story for me how you did the step from GER to LA! I would be interested in more details if you wouldn’t mind.)

YuyaoSG

Hello Anne, thank you for your information. If that is true, it will be great news for me. Since I am searching for an intern job right now.

A.Dern

Film Composer
Thanks for the information Anne-Kathrin. Where did you start your first intern when you moved from germany to LA?

(Btw, it is a very inspiring story for me how you did the step from GER to LA! I would be interested in more details if you wouldn’t mind.)
I was at UCLA studying when I was hired as an assistant at Cinesamples and Hollywood Scoring. So I didn't actually intern there (though Chris Lennertz' Sonic Fuel Studios where we were located does have an internship program). I interned much later in the process at RCP. I had been doing tech work for Steve Jablonsky and as the movie was wrapping up my work permit was running out. There were some delays of a few weeks so I couldn't legally work for money. So Steve's team and Hans' former head of sampling (the current and previous manager at Cinesamples) got me an internship at RCP where I could make connections during my in-between visa time. After that I started to collaborate with Klaus Badelt and built up my own studio.

OP
Leo Brennauer

Leo Brennauer

I was at UCLA studying when I was hired as an assistant at Cinesamples and Hollywood Scoring. So I didn't actually intern there (though Chris Lennertz' Sonic Fuel Studios where we were located does have an internship program). I interned much later in the process at RCP. I had been doing tech work for Steve Jablonsky and as the movie was wrapping up my work permit was running out. There were some delays of a few weeks so I couldn't legally work for money. So Steve's team and Hans' former head of sampling (the current and previous manager at Cinesamples) got me an internship at RCP where I could make connections during my in-between visa time. After that I started to collaborate with Klaus Badelt and built up my own studio.
Thanks so much for the insight. Have a great week Anne and everybody!

Top Bottom