What's new

How often do you write with your emotions?

Svyato

Hi :)
I was just wondering the next thing about the members of this forum:

- How often do you feel your own works (by crying on it, or feeling somewhere else, or feeling joyful whatever the way...)?

- And so, what are your personal ways for managing your inspiration in order to give all the emotions you have to give, at the right moment for the right thing ? Have you found yourself on it?

Do you often ask yourself this kind of questions?

Cheers and have a very wonderful day !! :)

dgburns

summer of pickles and IPA beer
emotion >>><<< logic

It’s a struggle between left side/right side brain, where the left side creator (wants to seek possibilities, play, run free and create) and the right side (editor wants to justify, re-structure, remove and organize and delete)

Who should feel the emotions, the composer or the audience?

Nothing better then music that evokes universal emotion. Nothing worse then music that evokes emotion in the composer alone and no one else.

I think it’s discipline and the ability to focus mentally on the task that allows you to keep the emotions in check, while not ingoring them entirely as you navigate the thousand decisions you need to make getting to the finish line. Maybe it’s appropriate to use emotions early on when deciding whether an idea is worth spending time on.

Inevitably, you need to do all the other tasks to bring that music into existence. Somewhere in that process, the initial emotion fades. Some of us work FAST, some work SLOW. The deciding factor for our individual approach just might be our tolerance for seeing our initial emotional spark diminish as we try to realize a decent composition.

dariusofwest

Good topic! I find that I don't really connect emotionally with the music I write at all. Mostly just try to come up with something that sounds good or fits with the context it's intended for.

ChrisSiuMusic

When something makes me feel so good that I can't describe it, that's how I describe my emotion in music. That's been my unconscious philosophy so far in my music.

Jimmy Hellfire

Might sound esoteric, but it's actually really not: I believe that there's an universal kind of energy that drives artistic endeavors and that it can be preserved in, or potentially transported through the work. My belief is that in order for the audience to receive it, your best bet is to make sure to insert it in the first place.

Since it's an universal kind of energy, the emotion that someone feels after listening to a piece of music doesn't necessarily have to be the one that the author had chanelled into the work. But that's not the point. The point is to convey something that rings true, on a human, emotional level, and by that catalyst help others become aware of themselves. Just to do our thing, and then trust.

It's not your job to make others understand how you feel. I always hated that about artists. I find it ridiculous and self-absorbed. It's about inspiring others to connect with their own feelings and imagination. That's what we're selling, I'd like to believe.

Of course it's possible to just put something together because on paper it should sound good, and it ends up inspiring emotion in others anyway. But that's because they did the work. A happy accident. If you're trying to really make something happen, I believe the best chance is to trust in input = output.

I couldn't even write music without emotional drive. It'd be the most boring thing ever. Reminds me of math class in school or something.

Last edited:

Sibelius19

Music is just color and rhythm --Debussy
Hi :)
I was just wondering the next thing about the members of this forum:

- How often do you feel your own works (by crying on it, or feeling somewhere else, or feeling joyful whatever the way...)?

- And so, what are your personal ways for managing your inspiration in order to give all the emotions you have to give, at the right moment for the right thing ? Have you found yourself on it?

Do you often ask yourself this kind of questions?

Cheers and have a very wonderful day !! :)
Every once and a while I feel that kind of emotion. It's a pure joy and inspiration. It feels like I know there's a God in those instances.

ghandizilla

Dissatisfaction all the day long, an inability to listen to my work without feeling the urge to improve ten+ things. So there is no denial it involves a lot of emotions, I even cried a lot in june and july, but in the end it was definitely on the anxiety side of emotions. So to be clear even with people reducing emotions to brain states: on the hipothalamus side rather than on the amygdale side. On the other hand, I dunno if it's related to the poor quality of my work, to the high standards I'm looking for, to my sensitivity, or to all of that. If one day I was in heaven listening to what I do, I would be very afraid to stop kicking my ass, so I would be very dissatisfied not to be dissatisfied !

Last edited:
Top Bottom