1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much RAM Question

Discussion in 'PC/Mac Builders, Mods, Peripherals - New' started by chapbot, Aug 7, 2018.

1. TheKRock

TheKRock Senior Member

Apr 19, 2017
    This is a late response but I have 64G on my iMac and although I don't usually use all 64G on every cue I do end up using in the 50+ ballpark quite often so I think your choice to go with 64G is a wise one!

2. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    I think you should get a motherboard, which supports 128GB RAM, and first buy 64GB. I did that, and I'm very happy, because I had to buy more ram after 64GB. My templates takes max 80GB ram at the moment. And also ram is quite cheap nowadays.

JohnG likes this.
  3. A portion of the samples get loaded into Ram, 8GB won't get you very far. Especially on Windows, as the operation system alone eats up 4GB.

4. Tempfram

Tempfram Active Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Is that for live playing or sequencing in general?

5. Well, if Windows takes up 4GB, that leaves 4GB for your DAW or whatever else....which is pretty much nothing these days.

6. Geoff Grace

Geoff Grace Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    If by "live playing" you mean loading up just one sound at a time and playing solely that sound, then I don't see why 8GB wouldn't be enough. But most people load at least a set's worth of sounds at once; so in that case, you may very well need more RAM, if most of the VIs you're using are sample based. On the other hand, if most of your sounds are modeled, 8GB should be enough to get you through the entire performance. There are certainly people gigging with 8GB laptops.

Best,

Geoff

7. Tempfram

Tempfram Active Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Well, if you manually set the amount to load in Kontant I think you can slim down a patch to less than 20 MB each.

100 of them would be less than 2GB.

8. Sami

Sami The Undisclosing

Jul 23, 2017
    Undisclosed
    Words to live by