Votes: 63 29.4%

Votes: 61 28.5%
  • 128+

Votes: 29 13.6%

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Something else :^)

Votes: 14 6.5%

• Total voters
Whenever the question of resources comes up, odd hostilities about "overindulgence" or posturing erupts about "greater creativity from fewer resources."

What's with that? Does anyone know how much paper or how many quills Dante or Shakespeare used? Or whether they wrote better music because it got dark at 5 o'clock and it was hard to work all night?

I don't get it. The guys whose music I admire use very substantial resources -- computers, libraries, recording facilities, analogue synths -- you name it.

Use whatever you want. I don't like to juggle samples so they fit into a small RAM footprint so I use a lot of stuff. I got solar power to offset the carbon footprint.

Writing music is hard enough without getting normative about how much people "should" have or use.

I used to have a template of with just berlin instruments, multiple articulations. No problems running it live, with effects processing.
I found Berlin Strings unusable at 16 GB, and at 32GB I had to be judicious about microphones and articulations (running dfd at 24kb) if I wanted to use any other instruments. And that was without any of the expansions. I haven't tried BS since I upgraded to 64GB. I seem to recall someone saying they needed 96GB to load all the Berlin series.

Well, I run everything on one computer and with 32GB I found myself often running short. (System and other things takes RAM too.) So far 64GB has been good, but even there I have one current project that will use all of it and still require quite a lot of freezing. If my experience with the basic Berlin Strings library is any guide, anyone wanting to run the full complement of the Berlin series would almost certainly need 128GB.

But are you loading a ton of instruments you are actually using, or do you have them all loaded for convenience?

Writing music is hard enough without getting normative about how much people "should" have or use.

I'm not criticizing anyone by any means, just trying to understand their workflows.

PS- you should see my drum set collection, it is excessive. My wife finds it amusing.

I'm not criticizing anyone by any means, just trying to understand their workflows.

to speak for myself, having everything I could possibly use available helps me improvise more. Sometimes you write knowing exactly what you intend to make without much deviation. Sometimes I just dont know exactly what I want, so when the inspiration hits, its better to have it fired up so I can do immediately, rather than risk losing the idea while I'm trying to hunt down an articulation to load up.

But are you loading a ton of instruments you are actually using, or do you have them all loaded for convenience?
These are all instruments I'm using, more or less. I do load up the basic patches of Spitfire libraries, for instance, which might contain articulations that ultimately don't get used. But it's not banks and banks of unused instruments. I am using multiple mics which increases the RAM usage. And I'm layering/choosing among a lot of instruments (three different strings libraries; four brass libraries, etc.). This is not normal for me however, and generally I rarely get above 50 GB RAM used including system and other open programs.

PS- you should see my drum set collection, it is excessive. My wife finds it amusing.

funny about the drums!

I wasn't picking on you in particular. Just felt shades of the "I don't use a template and I'm more creative," or "I use an Apple II and that's all I need to be far more inventive than you," claims might be sneakily insinuating themselves into the thread. Maybe not.

How many computers does HZ or JNH or Tom H have? No idea. A lot more than I do, one supposes.

JW? Less.

In other news...

Thank God I have an agent so I don't have to dress / look, even act "like a composer." For a while you "had" to have some facial hair / earring / leather jacket or something, like you were supposed to be a rocker of some kind when they actually wanted you to write for orchestra.

I think you have to be every kind of person to write well for stories. You have to be able to intuit everyone from a child to a villain to an old person and inhabit that person. You can't think about the character, you have to be the character, support and live in him or her. I mean, ideally.

It's good to be acquainted with everything: power chords, woodwinds, chamber music, Rossini, Lutoslawski. Nothing is out of bounds

I know that how you look and what your background is, musically, may not seem related to the gear question, but I believe it's part of the whole subject: how you're supposed to create

It just makes me tired. Everyone seems to have a different method and it's better to look at the work and not judge (or compete over) from whence it comes.

16Gb here on mbp late 2013.
Too little for my increasing template...
So, i have to pick 1 mic and freeze freeze freeze.

I love mbp but don’t really feel excited by the latest yearly upgrades.
If no radical change occur in 2020, I’ll have to switch to another solution.

........ Does anyone know how much paper or how many quills Dante or Shakespeare used? Or whether they wrote better music because it got dark at 5 o'clock and it was hard to work all night?

I don't get it.

Me neither, but they surely wouldn't have been able to see the staves so well in candlelight. What films did they score?

(sorry John...too good to miss..:2thumbs:)

If it was RAM and not orchestration that help my music sound better than I would have more than 16gb.
I might go 32gb eventually when prices have dropped just for the extra room.
Plus anything serious I would hope to have a real orchestra playing. VST instruments just don't cut it.

If it was RAM and not orchestration that help my music sound better than I would have more than 16gb.
I might go 32gb eventually when prices have dropped just for the extra room.
Plus anything serious I would hope to have a real orchestra playing. VST instruments just don't cut it.

Yes, but VSTs can be next-gen!!! Live orchestra players, by definition, can only be current-gen, or last-gen.

Upgraded to 32GB, which seems to be the average of what people have. Can't imagine going back to less again.

Had 32 for a long time but BBC SO was the final thing that made me bite the bullet and now I'm upgrading to 128. It will hopefully give my 3 year old work horse few more years before having to upgrade everything again.

Top Bottom