Votes: 61 28.5%
  • 128+

Votes: 29 13.6%

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Something else :^)

Votes: 14 6.5%

• Total voters
What's in your template?
That's hard to say, as it's pretty variable (I'm deleting / purging everything I'm not actively using)
Generally speaking CSS and CSSS take most of the space. All 3 mics loaded, it's 2GB+ RAM per instrument.
On top of that, I lately used many multi articulation patches from the Metropolis Ark Series... huge as well.

16 Go on my current laptop that is about to be replaced with a new computer being built at the moment, with 64Go.
I have a few projects I can't finish as they become too heavy for my laptop. It was time to change.

That's hard to say, as it's pretty variable (I'm deleting / purging everything I'm not actively using)
Generally speaking CSS and CSSS take most of the space. All 3 mics loaded, it's 2GB+ RAM per instrument.
On top of that, I lately used many multi articulation patches from the Metropolis Ark Series... huge as well.

Ah, you're an all-mic loader. Fair play. I asked because I'm trying to set a template up in 32gb which I'll use for the next year or so. So trying to cram in as many things as possible.

I have CSS (mix mics), Hollywood Strings (Gold), Orchestral String Runs, Infinite Brass (I took CSB out of the template and kept Infinite Brass in instead), a few basic articulations from Berlin Woodwinds, Hollywood Percussion, Liberis and Lacrimosa and EWQLS Choirs.

With everything purged, it is fine. But right now my template is being dominated by strings in terms of RAM. Lack of mic position flexibility is a big pain in the ass so I might have to do what you're doing, or upgrade.

This is perhaps my only regret with my 2017 Mac (4 cores, 4.2GHz processor): it's maxed out at 32Gb. Would love to increase it as I do run into issues, at least up to 64Gb, but I'm stuck with this.

This forces me into the following workaround: I have my template setup, so that's it's all color-coded, instruments grouped, effects on sends, panned, leveled, EQed, etc, but although each track has a Kontakt instance loaded, there is no instrument loaded into Kontakt. That makes my template manageable in terms of RAM, and when I need to load up a new instrument into a track that is already set up the way I like it, I use QuickLoad in Logic to pull up the instrument. I can pull up any instrument very quickly from within QuickLoad, and I still get the benefit of having the template setup, without taking the hit on RAM. I tried loading all instruments and then purging everything, but that still pushes the total used RAM way up.

Does this sound like a reasonable compromise in my situation, or are there other, better ways?

Last edited:
32Gb, because that's the maximum supported by my 4790k.
But for now it's enough for me, with all my librairies on a SSD, and using a Cubase template with everything disabled it seems to be fine and fast enough.
And if I need more I will probably try to go for a VEP setup.

16GB on the master (MB Pro), and 32GB on the PC slave. My biggest template on he PC only takes up about 24GB. Since loading just what I need for a given project, I am getting by quite well on the MB Pro, which includes Hollywood Strings/Brass Gold. Since adding the Samsung T5, everything is fast and smooth the single machine. I really don't get why some people have like 128GB+, do they really need all of that.

16GB on the master (MB Pro), and 32GB on the PC slave. My biggest template on he PC only takes up about 24GB. Since loading just what I need for a given project, I am getting by quite well on the MB Pro, which includes Hollywood Strings/Brass Gold. Since adding the Samsung T5, everything is fast and smooth the single machine. I really don't get why some people have like 128GB+, do they really need all of that.

Yes....;)

double yes

...its all about articulations, timbre and expression and how you use them for me Wolfie. I'm classically trained and a competent scorer and even with the best library sets, am frustrated at times that I can't achieve the effect that's on the paper (yep, old school too). I accept the limitations as we are talking samples here, so it helps if I have almost all my options immediately available so I can experiment and get the best I can without too much effort, because its hard enough just getting something decent down on the crotchets and quaver front irrespective of the DAW bollocks.

I guess my question is...could you still complete your projects using less than that? Do your final renderings actually have 128GB worth of instruments? I’m not saying they don’t, but it seems excessive.

I think that question might depend on the system, the workflow and maybe one's ability to accept a little bit of overkill. I've had a partner who basically swore that 16GBs was more than enough. Then he hit a bottle neck as plugins started getting more complex and OS requirements got heavier, so he upgraded to 32GB. Now he's finding that for full orchestral pieces, while of course its possible, its not always practical. When you work with less you can of course get by with less instruments running all at once, or maybe bouncing or freezing unnecessary tracks and finding an order that allows you to work without hitting your performance wall.

My perspective was, be ready for today and tomorrow. As it is, with the setup of my system, I can run a full template of all the potential instruments and articulations I might use in real time, without any need to bounce tracks. I'm sure it'd probably be possible to do this on a 64GB RAM system, but knowing I want to keep this machine for awhile, and not knowing how my computing needs might change, I went overboard without a need to really overthink it. The performance is not guaranteed, and some is probably even wasted, but for my day to day, I never hit a wall, and that's enough for me.

Well, I run everything on one computer and with 32GB I found myself often running short. (System and other things takes RAM too.) So far 64GB has been good, but even there I have one current project that will use all of it and still require quite a lot of freezing. If my experience with the basic Berlin Strings library is any guide, anyone wanting to run the full complement of the Berlin series would almost certainly need 128GB.

Well, I run everything on one computer and with 32GB I found myself often running short. (System and other things takes RAM too.) So far 64GB has been good, but even there I have one current project that will use all of it and still require quite a lot of freezing. If my experience with the basic Berlin Strings library is any guide, anyone wanting to run the full complement of the Berlin series would almost certainly need 128GB.

I used to have a template of with just berlin instruments, multiple articulations. No problems running it live, with effects processing.

Top Bottom