What's new

How much is an Orchestrator?

Mr. Edinburgh

I'm a student and looking for professional advise -
Does anyone know the rough cost of someone to orchestrate a 2min work for full orchestra in London - sorry if it's too general - but I would just like to know.
thanks

A rough quote for professional rates would be easier with some idea of bar count and ensemble size. Also whether working from MIDI file or notated original.

if someone was to arrange/orchestrate a work by Bach from solo piano to orchestral arrangements say?

That's a way to figure how much time the work will take. 16 bars - not too long. 460 bars - a lot longer. Staves: orchestrating for string quartet not too long. Orchestrating for full orchestra - a lot longer.

There is no guide. It's going to depend on the type of work, the complexity, the talent level of the orchestrator, the fame level of the orchestrator, how busy he/she is at the moment, and how interested he/she is in orchestrating your project. Also, will that orchestrator have any ongoing financial interest in what happens with the project? Union? Non-union? All-in price needed? Mock-up needed?

It would be like asking: "How much to have a singer sing on my 2 minute song?" Somebody you ran into singing at the bar down the street might charge one rate. Taylor Swift might charge you a bit more. ;)

Also consider that the lines between composer/arranger/orchestrator/copyist are blurred. The exact nature of the work is going to make a big difference. Taking fully realized MIDI info from a sequence and getting it on paper (without needing to make any changes) is one job (which is actually more of a copyist job, than an orchestrator job). Taking a basic theme someone plunks out on a piano, and turning into a big symphonic piece with textures, counterpoint, etc., etc. is a different kind of orchestrator job.

Essentially, what would be charged is all over the map...

There is no guide. It's going to depend on the type of work, the complexity, the talent level of the orchestrator, the fame level of the orchestrator, how busy he/she is at the moment, and how interested he/she is in orchestrating your project. Also, will that orchestrator have any ongoing financial interest in what happens with the project? Union? Non-union? All-in price needed? Mock-up needed?

This x 10,230, 539.3. Words of wisdom.

sorry I just don't get it ....
I was kidding. But you probably are not a musician, otherwise you would have understood my reply, right? So, here is the problem with your question.
You ask for a quote, but really, nobody serious would give you any with the information you provide. 70 bars of music by Bach? Keyboardmusic? What is the purpose you need it for? What kind of Ensemble? ... Unless you have some incredible idea you are afraid of being ripped off (which is improbable for a Bach Orchestration), I don't get why you don't tell us everything about it?! I am sure,
You would get much clearer answers.
Like this, everyone is a bit puzzled ... so, he is a student and probably cannot afford much beyond his living expenses ... but he needs an orchestrator? Why????

sorry I just don't get it ....
If you check the link in my previous post you could calculate it to be $769 for that job.
This is not my union, so I might be missing some information but here goes:
70 bars is 18 pages. Let's assume we would need 12 staves (what I believe are called lines in this document) and we're looking at the column "General Price List, Non-theatrical productions".
10 lines is 34.37 plus an extra two for 2.08 each is 38.53 per page x 18 pages is 693.54 + 10,9% AFM-EPF (somebody could clarify what this is but maybe pension/health/welfare combined?) = 769.14USD
This excludes the copying which could be hourly rates (26-30USD pr hour) or page rates.

alright lets say its 70 bars of music by Bach that needs arranging for orchestra
You've just opened a can of worms. You said "orchestrating" and now you're saying "arranging". Which is it? They have always been different jobs, and these days they are even more different.

Sorry, missed that one! Arranging is another thing.

There are already couple orchestrators in this thread and mentions to others as well. My advice: Have a specific project ready and contact someone and ask for a price. They will also tell you what they need (MIDI, audio or whatever) to do what you want.

I am a pro orchestrator with tons of experience. I'm also something else: I'm like all good and stuff at it. ;) Union rate?? Hourly rate? Are you hiring a plumber or something? (And lets face it, plumbers get waaay more than music geeks).

I live in the real world. I have no friggin clue what the union rate is (and I've been a member for 30+ years). Each job is different. Each situation begins anew. Measures, schmeasures. How good is your stuff? How nice are you? WIll it be fun? Will there be any good-looking women involved in any aspect of the project? :) WHo's playing it? All this stuff is what the orchestrator wants/needs to know.

The problem with "union rate" (besides being non-existent in many locals, my local doesn't cover it) is that it treats everybody the same. Umm, no. No no no. Not even close. This is a real art, you're hiring an artist, not a "one size fits all" kinda person. I'm a pro violinist, my string parts will be as good as they get. My weakness is percussion. Each of us has stuff like that. Observe.

A good orchestrator can take your "Twinkle Twinkle" song and make it sound like Mahler 9. A bad one will make it sound like "meh". And money doesn't always equal "good". My cost of living is pretty reasonable, I don't live in NYC (I did) or London etc. Besides that, some people just kinda stink. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You might not like my style but like Joe's style etc and the opposite.

Find an orchestrator based on listening to their orchestrations. Ask them. Go from there. Be all nice and stuff.

Top Bottom