What's new

How many of you have a job in something else other than music prod?

igwanna

Title says it all,
i wonder how many people here are working a diferent jobvb other than music production, and in that case how does music prod/composing fit within yourday-to-day life and why?

for example, im a marketing director full time for 8 years now, decided 2 years ago to make a home studio at my place because its my favorite thing to do. To compose. Actuallym anagied to even get some gigs (mostly non paying) and i started to wonder if i copuld make this my real job, since i believe you shouldnt sell any time of your life for a wage, and should only do what makes you happy..

anyone feeling me? :D

Last edited:
As a result of a MASSIVE amount of student loan debt, I work an 8-5 day job as a contractor for a giant cellular communications company.

While I would much rather make a living writing or producing music, (y'know, USING the degree I paid so much for), I just can't afford to make the jump. At this point, I have doubts that I ever will, and it makes me sad.

Unfortunately, music is just a hobby for me now. If I can squeeze out one or two tracks a year, that's a win for me.

I'm a full time piano and theory teacher :)

do you teach adults or just kids? curious if you see a difference in learning styles between the two. Quitting lessons in HS was a big regret for me. Thinking about picking it up again (not for performance factor, but more theory).

do you teach adults or just kids? curious if you see a difference in learning styles between the two. Quitting lessons in HS was a big regret for me. Thinking about picking it up again (not for performance factor, but more theory).
It's actually split down the middle for me. Many parents want to get their kids involved in music, but I honestly prefer teaching adults. They have their own drive to learn and understand how music and the piano really works!

I was trained as classical composer, wrote a few symponies and an opera in my early composing years, but then I went to earn money, the more commercial way and though I work full time as composer and sound designer, I actually try to make free time now to actually compose classical music again more and more. Maybe a bit odd example, but they feel like 2 different worlds :)

I'm a software developer (with a degree in psychology...) and making music is just a hobby for me. Apart from the lack of talent, discipline and drive I am not at all interested in turning it into a job.

I'm a software developer (with a degree in psychology...) and making music is just a hobby for me. Apart from the lack of talent, discipline and drive I am not at all interested in turning it into a job.
do you do any UX/UI work? Had a buddy with a psych undergrad that went into UX/UI. or did you just make the transition to dev?

I was trained as classical composer, wrote a few symponies and an opera in my early composing years, but then I went to earn money, the more commercial way and though I work full time as composer and sound designer, I actually try to make free time now to actually compose classical music again more and more. Maybe a bit odd example, but they feel like 2 different worlds :)
that sounds awesome :)

Musicologist here. I am working 80% as a librarian for an opera orchestra. The other 20% I work on a musicological project, and composing music. Some classical, some for tv. The music for tv is starting to generate a little income, and the writing process is less intense. On the other hand I like writing classical music, even if I don't have an outlet for it. But one of my classical pieces won a small price. So currently I am trying to figure out whether I should be focussing on either one over the other, or carry on writing both.

sound designer for tv shows and films. also ops manager for a post facility that deals for fox/disney etc.
then later worked at fox studios.
great career if i wanted to do showbiz stuff i guess. but if im also doing music and having a 2 yr LA traffic ridden commute to later do 5-6 more hours of work doing music .... i said fuk that and now i currently do samples and music.
and take on some random projects here and there like movie sound, sound design for sample libraries and composers.

I work as an IT analyst at a School District plus Cybersecurity training developer for State and National Organizations. It pays the bills but music is a nice break from everything. Plus I like creating tracks for my home videos and my kids love the music i write. I am content.

Physician and trailer composer here. Not that experienced as any of them, but so far I’m working a few months full time as doctor, and writing on evenings/weekends, then a few months part time/by the hour as doctor and more time for braams!

so you add some intense braam epic trailer music on your practice while dealing with patients? cuz that would be awesome!

My regular job is as a freelance video animator and editor. I get to sometimes write the music for the videos I'm creating, so there's some good synergy there. But it makes it even more frustrating, when there isn't time or budget, to have to go through music libraries looking for something I can hear in my head.

I bounce back and forth between the artistic and technical sides of audio in general. Currently work full time as a AV system engineer (wish I could dispense with the "V"!), and in my spare time I write music and design sounds for live theatre. It's a pretty good combination. I also do some lighting design, but that's really just a hobby.

For me, and I may be in the minority, I've reached the point where I'd rather pick and choose the projects I work on, even if that limits the income potential (and it does<G>!) It is less stressful for me this way, and right now that is a key consideration. Part of that reduced stress is, I'm pretty sure, a steady income.

I'm a UX Designer full time and music is my hobby. I'm primarily a bass player and got into recording on my PC to help my playing. It kinda blossomed from there to the point where I'm watching Mike Verta's videos on composition and orchestration and collecting an arsenal of sample libraries.

I've no plans to swap careers. I really love this as a creative outlet that's different from my day job. It's a craft I'd love to master though.

Top Bottom