What's new

How many Gigabytes/Terabytes do your sample libraries total?

charlieclouser

Why not hire an assistant? I wouldn't get any work done without mine.
I have, but there are some things I only trust myself to do correctly. Besides, we're talking about fifteen minutes of running folder-compare apps, waiting overnight for things to copy while I sleep, and then a fifteen minute swing-by once a month to the bank when I'm gong out for lunch. Not really worth an assistant salary.

When I actually have a job on, I don't touch the sample drives, so it's not like I'm fumbling with backups while scrambling to meet a deadline. I freeze them in time and any new additions or edits go on a 1tb temp SSD while I work, which I can back up in minutes while I work. In-progress project files get backed up to redundant drives in the studio, plus a T5 that I keep next to my wallet in case I need to make a hasty evac. So it's only when I'm doing my annual download and integration of black friday purchases that I'm really spending more than a few minutes staring at a progress bar creeping across the screen.

My last assistant did basically nothing but run the vacuum, dust the gear, and make the dinner runs!

chocobitz825

We've become Librarians / Archivists / IM nerds.
I honestly haven’t found maintenance to be an issue. Cloud backups give me a sense of security, and a number of physical backups if I really want to make the time for it. Arranging the files across two drives; one for most common use libraries and one for less, along with sorting by maker tends to keep things pretty manageable.

Has anyone here with over 10TBs had issue with maintaining large collections?

tmhuud

Brown Belt
It becomes an issue with so many libraries for me as well. The problem is when I start ‘trimming the fat’ (I cut a ton of EXS samples for example) I later go back to those folders that I so called ‘banished’, only to suddenly WANT them back! I miss those! So I start incorporating them back into the work flow again but it’s project to project.

But then that sample pool has to be managed, organized and updated and backing up all that starts being counter productive when you have deadlines looming. This probably just all means I need a more mechanized backup strategy.

dzilizzi

I know nothing
I recently ran out of space on my 4TB Kontakt drive. So I started moving non-library tab libraries to a different drive with space, only to realize it was better to move the library tab libraries there and keep the ones I have to search through the folder for in one place. I do have them organized by manufacturer, so I try to keep them together.

jbuhler

I recently ran out of space on my 4TB Kontakt drive. So I started moving non-library tab libraries to a different drive with space, only to realize it was better to move the library tab libraries there and keep the ones I have to search through the folder for in one place. I do have them organized by manufacturer, so I try to keep them together.
I have a bit over 4TB spread across 5 SSDs, and organized in no particular way aside from approximate date of acquisition. Each drive, though, is organized by company.

charlieclouser

My biggest issue is the desire for a single 20tb volume, and the fact that I'm gun-shy about making a concatenated (span) RAID set after an issue decades ago in the SCSI era. And just when I was ready to build a span RAID set, Apple took away the ability for their Disc Utility to make span RAID sets, although I guess it's returned (or is returning soon?). That means I'd have to use a third-party solution like SoftRaid - and there's that gun-shy-ness again. I may still give it a try next time I rebuild my rigs though. Still... in the last 15 years or so I haven't messed with anything more fancy than the default settings when formatting a drive, and I haven't had any issues. I can't say the same for the years of using fancy third-party formatting and RAID utilities - but to be fair that was a long time ago with crude SCSI tech.

With a bunch of individual 4tb SSD volumes, this means I have to split up my Kontakt library into three or four pieces - strings, brass, and winds on one, percussion and full-orchestra libraries on another, and everything else on a third. Kind of a drag, but not a work-stopper.

So, come on, Samsung - bring on the 24tb SSD!

chocobitz825

You young-uns need to devise an organizational strategy for all your samples now. I preach this all the time and few listen - organize your patches in your DAW and stick to it.

I have about 6 TB
This really hasn’t been a problem in my experience. Given that most libraries are Kontakt, but a large portion are not official, I’ve organized them on the drives via the maker, but use kontakt’s quick load menu to order them by type and function. So really I’m never having to search for anything since it’s all organized within Kontakt. Any time I need to actually mess with the samples and files themselves, they’re already pretty easy to find since i’d searching for the maker/developer then.

jmvideo

About 6TB for me. Speaking of which, I'm hosting my libs on internal drives on 2 pre-2012 Mac Pros. This year I'm considering a move to the new Mac Pro (if it's ever released) which would require moving all my libs to external drives. I get a headache just thinking about it.

Ben H

I have about 4.5TB worth of samples, but I've recently deleted a bunch of old stuff I don't use, and stuff that's been surpassed by newer/better sample libraries. So I have a little under 3TB.

I may even get that number down a little further as I continue to tidy/clean.

Last edited:

wst3

my office these days
This is an interesting, and timely topic! I'm in the midst of cleaning up my sample library collection.

Needless to say, NOTHING gets deleted - for whatever reason (hoarder mentality) I just can't delete sounds because they could, one day, be useful. But I can move them to a "near-on-line" status - which means I'll almost certainly never use them because I'll never find them<G>!

For example, I just moved almost my entire imported EPS library to CD (yeah, the entire thing fits on a CD!) I kept a handful of instruments that I really love.

I did delete a bunch of Project Sam freebies - I purchased all three Symphobias this summer, so I think I have those sounds covered. I did keep the True Strike demos, mostly because I might buy it in the future, seems like a very cool library!

I've also discovered that there was some duplication of libraries across drives, didn't save me a ton of space, but at least I know where to go for specific sounds now.

Mostly I've discovered that I use probably about 80% of my libraries, even if I only use a small part of some of them. I really expected it to be a lot worse. And more surprising, to me, I would be hard pressed to limit myself to one (or even) two string libraries, or winds or brass, and forget about percussion!

Backups are next. I've got the entire collection backed up to an external drive as-is, which would make restoration a little easier, but I will feel even safer when I have all the installers someplace safe.

It never ends!

Mornats

I'm a hobbyist with 804GB so quite amateur compared to you guys! Around 420 GB is on a 500GB SSD and the rest is on a spinner. I'm eyeing up a 2TB SSD for my samples which would eliminate the "I've got no more space" excuse I've been using to not buy any more big sample libraries.

dzilizzi

I know nothing
Speaking of running out of space, my recent Spitfire purchases are causing some problems and I'm going to need to do some more moving of files. And I think I can add one more drive to my computer ;)

wst3

my office these days
So I've been on this kick to clean up the mess that is my Kontakt collection, and as a side effect, I discovered the following statistics:
Total disc space occupied: a little under 2.5 TB - that's a lot of disc space!
Total libraries: 1058 - how the heck is that possible?
Total developers: 147 - I didn't know there were that many!

Granted I've been at this for quite some time now, and that list includes a bunch of stuff I've imported from Ensoniq and Akai, although I did think that list out significantly already. I also dumped all the demo libraries - not sure why I even kept them, probably a combination of laziness and "disc space is cheap"?

Still, the numbers are surprising to me. (Note I did not figure out what I've spent<G>!)

Obviously I can go a lot further with this, divide by free vs licensed, player vs full, etc, but I'm far too lazy and/or busy at the moment.

stonzthro

This really hasn’t been a problem in my experience. Given that most libraries are Kontakt, but a large portion are not official, I’ve organized them on the drives via the maker, but use kontakt’s quick load menu to order them by type and function. So really I’m never having to search for anything since it’s all organized within Kontakt. Any time I need to actually mess with the samples and files themselves, they’re already pretty easy to find since i’d searching for the maker/developer then.
That's great - sounds like you have a plan! Once you start getting into other sample engines (and it will happen over the years), searching across everything will be a little more difficult. Right now I can open my library in Logic and see exactly how many Pipas, Celestes, or Djembes I have, regardless of it being EXS, Kontakt, Engine, UVI, STEAM, PLAY, or even hosted in VEP, and load the desired file with a single click - super slick! I believe the same can be done with the Media Bay in Cubase. It really is an open ended system that grows with my acquisitions.

That's the kind of organization I'm talking about - going a level above the sample engines' search capabilities; but again, sounds like you already have something that works well for you!

Top Bottom