1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long do you take to build an orchestral template?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Akarin, Mar 6, 2018.

How long do you need to build a full orchestral template from scratch?

1. A few hours

16.5%
  2. 1-3 days

23.1%
  3. 3 days to a week

13.2%
  4. More than a week

47.3%
  1. Aaron Sapp

Aaron Sapp Senior Member

Sep 26, 2004
    New York, NY
    It only takes a couple long days to fully load up everything, EQ, balance, etc. But I do agree that you will most likely tweak your template forever. Little volume balance adjustments here, EQ tweaks there. I recently completed a new 250-track orchestral template, but I know it'll take half a dozen tracks or so to get it to where I really want. My previous template (which I very recently used) is roughly 3-4 years old and I was STILL making adjustments to the very end.

To me the hard part is getting a healthy overall/global volume level of the template and keeping it organized. When I'm sequencing, I work like my hair is on fire and tend to arbitrarily load up new patches for new projects, paying no heed to patch labeling and routing organization. After a couple years of this, your template can end up a mess.

2. ChrisSiuMusic

ChrisSiuMusic Senior Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I’m personally still learning how to do that properly, but with a laptop with 8gb of RAM, I find that starting completely fresh for each project doesn’t hurt me. I like choosing which samples I’d like to load in for each new specific project.

3. halfwalk

halfwalk Senior Member

May 13, 2017
    This, exactly. Reaper's track templates are perfect for creating a set of "modular template building blocks," so to speak. You can also save multiple tracks as a single track template. With one click of a button I can drop a string orchestra, for example, into my project, with routing already pre-configured for each individual section.

(the SWS extension adds a set of actions to import pre-defined track templates in a single click, so you can just put a "strings" button on a toolbar instead of having to right click, add track template, and find the strings manually)

robgb likes this.
  4. Dr Belasco

Dr Belasco Senior Member

Feb 15, 2018
    On the cast your vote, you missed putting up 'I never build an orchestral template'.

robgb likes this.
  5. EgM

EgM Game music!

Nov 8, 2015
    NB, Canada
    I find that I keep making templates but always starting new songs on my bare template... Something about those empty 200 tracks and always scrolling up and down annoys me. I've come to a point where I know the strength and weaknesses of all my instruments and load them as I go on.

6. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    Yep. I have a toolbar full of these.

7. leogardini

leogardini Senior Member

I miss the option "in a lifetime".
    I believe "a template" can be built in few hours if you already own the tools but "the template" will only happen with your continuous effort for the rest of your life.

Farkle likes this.
  8. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I started during the last century. Still working on it.