What's new

How Good: Fabfilter Pro-R For Orchestra?

nawzadhaji

from yesterday I am using (fabfilter-R , Q3) i compared with other plugin I have ,fabfilter very easy to use , in short time you can make incredible sound ..especially with orchestra string... I liked

I'm a huge fan of fabfilter, so I really wanted to like the Pro-R. But it just has a strange metallic quality to it that I find unappealing.

I'm fairly obsessed with Reverb and so I buy them all. I have a project template called Reverb shootout and about every six months I open it up and load up a bunch of re verbs and compare them side-by-side with a good set of headphones on.

It's striking the differences you'll hear when you do that. It really draws into Focus the various strengths and weaknesses of the different plugins.

For orchestral work, you pretty much want something that's going to simulate real space.

The winners in that regard, based on my experience with the shootouts in producing and mixing lots of projects, are the 2Caudio vrbs and the Flux Ircam Verb3.

The latter is my favorite and I'm surprised it doesn't get more recognition. It's truly a monster of a reverb.

Those are both algorithmic reverbs, however, and they certainly sound amazing. But I still think convolution Reverb is probably the best tool for simulating real acoustic space. So I usually use Altiverb on orchestral projects.

What's really cool, is that most of my favorite simple libraries were recorded in famous halls and there are impulse responses available for those same halls.

So it's always a real treat if you have, for example, a library that was recorded at Teldex, like the Berlin series from Orchestral Tools, to load a Teldex impulse into a convolution reverb so you can put all your other tracks in Teldex as well.

You don't need altiverb to do this and there are impulses available for most of the famous Halls.

I'm a huge fan of fabfilter, so I really wanted to like the Pro-R. But it just has a strange metallic quality to it that I find unappealing.
"Metallic" is a good description of what I started to hear from Pro-R over time and which pushed me away from it, though I think (or hope) it is just at certain settings where that effect appears.

So it's always a real treat if you have, for example, a library that was recorded at Teldex, like the Berlin series from Orchestral Tools, to load a Teldex impulse into a convolution reverb so you can put all your other tracks in Teldex as well.
Where have you seen an IR available for Teldex? I'd very much like to have such a thing, but as far as I know they don't exist outside of some of OT's libraries (and those are restricted to only work within those OT libraries).

averystemmler

If clean is the goal, also consider Nimbus from Exponential Audio (now iZotope). I never quite understood what a clean reverb was until I picked it up on the current sale, but I'm finding it much easier to create an inoffensive, clear space than with any of my other offerings.

It's the tofu of reverbs. It takes a little practice to make it appealing, and then it just takes the flavor of whatever you cook it in. It's great at the "you don't notice it until it's gone" effect.

averystemmler

"Metallic" is a good description of what I started to hear from Pro-R over time and which pushed me away from it, though I think (or hope) it is just at certain settings where that effect appears.
I agree, especially at smaller settings. Different sources react differently to different patterns of reflections, and I think FabFilter's trademark simplicity is more challenging in a reverb.

Where have you seen an IR available for Teldex? I'd very much like to have such a thing, but as far as I know they don't exist outside of some of OT's libraries (and those are restricted to only work within those OT libraries).
There's a bunch of floating around. Altiverb, Mir, have it. I think Samplicity has one.

Top Bottom