What's new

How Good: Fabfilter Pro-R For Orchestra?

Apostate

The FF sale continues, and I already own the inestimably great Pro-Q and Pro-C.

I've heard Pro-R only takes a backseat to the amazing(ly expensive) Altiverb (and maybe QL Spaces II) for orchestral work.

I'd love and be grateful for the opinions of the fine composers and/or engineers here, please!

One of my favourites. Super easy UI like all FF products, which makes it so easy to dial in exactly what you need.

I think of reverbs as ranging from very transparent (for example Exponential Audio Nimbus etc) to quite coloured (Seventh Heaven Pro, Altiverb, Spaces, etc.). Pro-R is somewhere in between those two categories - but modulation in controllable, so you can go in either direction.

They have 30 day trials. In true Fabfilter fashion, it's such a delight to use, but for me the Pro-R never sounded quite right when i tested it. I am sticking with Seventh Heaven, for now. I'll prolly regret this when the sale is over tho :D

They have 30 day trials. In true Fabfilter fashion, it's such a delight to use, but for me the Pro-R never sounded quite right when i tested it. I am sticking with Seventh Heaven, for now. I'll prolly regret this when the sale is over tho :D

Actually, this was exactly my experience at first. I used Pro-R for a couple of weeks, didn't quite get along with it and went back to Seventh Heaven. But then recently I revisited it for some mixes where Seventh Heaven was colouring the mix too much - and Pro-R was just perfect for the job.

Actually, this was exactly my experience at first. I used Pro-R for a couple of weeks, didn't quite get along with it and went back to Seventh Heaven. But then recently I revisited it for some mixes where Seventh Heaven was colouring the mix too much - and Pro-R was just perfect for the job.

Seventh Heaven seems like an even less expensive alternative. I think they do demos, too...

Love the Pro-R GUI and workflow but unfortunately it doesn’t do realistic spaces like Nimbus or R4 or the Lexi reverbs for me. Nor is it attempting to either I suspect. I dearly wanted to love it too as I’m a massive fan of pro-q, c and mb.

Ymmv of course.

Love the Pro-R GUI and workflow but unfortunately it doesn’t do realistic spaces like Nimbus or R4 or the Lexi reverbs for me. Nor is it attempting to either I suspect. I dearly wanted to love it too as I’m a massive fan of pro-q, c and mb.

Ymmv of course.

I love Q and C, awesome plug ins...I even use them for sound design! Great stuff imo.

I liked Pro-R a lot when I first got it, but later started noticing some unpleasant tail graininess coming from it, and have since mostly transitioned away from it and into using 2CAudio Breeze instead. But I'm sure I will go back and revisit Pro-R at some point to see if I can figure out how to make it sound better again, since I see lots of people whom I respect still being quite happy with it, so more than likely it was just my settings that were flawed.

I use pro R on everything. It gives you excellent control of the tail and it’s very easy to use. Can’t beat the ui, I’m curious to see (if/when) what FF does with a pro-R 2. In terms of sound, it’s very clean, doesn’t exactly color anything in a unique way-which is sort of the point of fab filter’s products.

I waver on the subject. I've spoken favorably about it before, but I keep trying to use it and it just doesn't let me get fiddly enough with the nature of the reverb. Independent control over early and late reflections makes working with different libraries much easier (i turn ERs off entirely if the samples have some space in them), and the Distance knob doesn't quite do it for me because it adjusts too many things at once. My experience is similar across other aspects too. I know which parameters I want to change, but they're lumped into the same knob with things I don't want to change.

I'd love to see what a Pro-R 2 offers!

Over the years I've used Altiverb, Ircam Verb Session, EW Spaces, ReLab LX480 and a few other for orchestral. They are all excellent but honestly these days I'm loving Liquid Sonics Seventh Heaven (which has less tweakability than Seventh Heaven Pro) but sounds every bit as good and is much less expensive. It's fantastic for Orchestral work and for 69 USD is an absolute steal. I highly recommend you check this one out.

I haven't had Pro-R that long, but in general it always seems a bit bright, especially compared to my go-to reverb, Verberate (I'm still on version 1). Like KallumS, I find Verberate to be amazingly clean.

Oh man I almost forgot this. Got mine for like $71, been playing with the demo, loved it.

Glad I stopped by tonight for the reminder. Too good to pass up that deal.

I use it mostly for drums and some percs. For orchestra i find it too cold, for that i use altiverbs bricrasti m7. But i guess it is down to opinion. Getting fabfilter plugins is never a bad buy though ;)

from yesterday I am using (fabfilter-R , Q3) i compared with other plugin I have ,fabfilter very easy to use , in short time you can make incredible sound ..especially with orchestra string... I liked

Top Bottom