What's new

How far off from realism am I?

sIR dORT

I feel like I'm getting better and getting closer to my goal (Blakus-level), but would love to hear where you guys think I could improve, both mixing-wise and orchestration-wise. Also I hate soundcloud compression.

Choir and strings sound more like pads and not like the real thing. Do you have long release times on them? Or very long reverbs? If you want realism, I would stick to regular orchestration and only use natural sounding reverbs.

Wrong subforum :)
Since its about realism and realism is related to programming I thought it might fit. But I guess you're probably right.

Choir and strings sound more like pads and not like the real thing. Do you have long release times on them? Or very long reverbs? If you want realism, I would stick to regular orchestration and only use natural sounding reverbs.
No, and a long release on the choir to make it sound like it's the outriggers. But I guess it was a little aggressive.

Since its about realism and realism is related to programming I thought it might fit. But I guess you're probably right.

No, and a long release on the choir to make it sound like it's the outriggers. But I guess it was a little aggressive.

Yeah then try reducing the release on the choirs, it might improve things considerably.

I suspect you definition of programming(building a realistic set of sounds/articulations/notes to make a piece of music) is different to the one being used here (where programming = writing code)

I suspect you definition of programming(building a realistic set of sounds/articulations/notes to make a piece of music) is different to the one being used here (where programming = writing code)
Ya i looked too quickly. Is it possible to move it?

To get back on topic a bit: I liked the composition. It did a good job setting the mood, the choir was so smooth and didn't stand out. I'm stuck with some less-than-appreciated headphones for a couple days, so can't give the nuanced opinion I wish I could when it come to the mixing. But with these mediocre $80 headphones, it sounds quite decent.

But it definitely did not sound realistic, if that's what you're going for. The average listener wouldn't notice, but if you know what an orchestra (and choir) sounds like, this is going to sound quite paddy.

First off, the tail. There's nothing wrong with a algorithmic, less-than-realistic tail. They're often added to orchestral recordings anyway (contrary to popular belief, recording an orchestra won't result in a sound that makes it feel like you're in the audience, as anyone who's gone to an orchestra performance would know). However, there definitely does seem to be something about the release, as others have mentioned. The choirs in particular.

What reverb do you use? Here's my advice: Treat the choir like a separate recording (after all, that's what it is is), then try to blend it into the orchestra with a light tail, if you haven't.

Also, my advice would be to ease up on the reverb unless you're going for a very dreamy, otherworldly sound. Your compositions should sound good and realistic without a tail, the tail should just be that little added glue that adds a little bit of room. As others have said, look into the releases of the choir.

What choir library are you using?

To get back on topic a bit: I liked the composition. It did a good job setting the mood, the choir was so smooth and didn't stand out. I'm stuck with some less-than-appreciated headphones for a couple days, so can't give the nuanced opinion I wish I could when it come to the mixing. But with these mediocre $80 headphones, it sounds quite decent.

But it definitely did not sound realistic, if that's what you're going for. The average listener wouldn't notice, but if you know what an orchestra (and choir) sounds like, this is going to sound quite paddy.

First off, the tail. There's nothing wrong with a algorithmic, less-than-realistic tail. They're often added to orchestral recordings anyway (contrary to popular belief, recording an orchestra won't result in a sound that makes it feel like you're in the audience, as anyone who's gone to an orchestra performance would know). However, there definitely does seem to be something about the release, as others have mentioned. The choirs in particular.

What reverb do you use? Here's my advice: Treat the choir like a separate recording (after all, that's what it is is), then try to blend it into the orchestra with a light tail, if you haven't.

Also, my advice would be to ease up on the reverb unless you're going for a very dreamy, otherworldly sound. Your compositions should sound good and realistic without a tail, the tail should just be that little added glue that adds a little bit of room. As others have said, look into the releases of the choir.

What choir library are you using?
Thanks for the feedback! When you guys talk about the long tail, do you mean throughout the piece or just at the end? If it was an actual piece I would cover that tail up at the end because I agree, it sounds unrealistic.

Thanks for the feedback! When you guys talk about the long tail, do you mean throughout the piece or just at the end? If it was an actual piece I would cover that tail up at the end because I agree, it sounds unrealistic.
Throughout the piece. There's a lot of reverb. I personally think it sounds great, just not "realistic". That's fine as far as I'm concerned (I don't see the need for reverb to be realistic whatsoever, unless you're specifically trying to simulate an acoustic listening experience, but then you'd need the right recordings for that anyway etc).

What choir are you using? Might be able to help you with the release depending on the library. If you sort that out first, changing the tail of the reverb may not even be a concern anymore. It's the choir that sticks out most to me. But again, I'm not on my best headphones right now and these ones tend to be quite muddy.

Top Bottom