What's new

How do you use Your reverb on orchestral samples?

hdsmile

3. The big advantage now comes to the end: Because now all the different and still dry room depths (only ERs) are looped through one and the same Reverb with only Tail, so everything is now glued together nicely. Even if the instruments play in different depths the feeling of one concert hall is nicely given. Also the tail volume is the same for close and far away playing instruments which simulates perfectly the reality.
Beat, I got right now Reverberate 2 as main reverb (only for ERs) for use it on (group BUS channels section), but first of all I would like to set it up properly, because there are so many different control knobs that I don’t understand whether I'm doing right or wrong, could you help to set up it correctly?
Screen_01.png
As algo-reverb, for insert tail over all I chose EAReverb 2 where I also need help with settings, but it can be done later. Thanks in advance

Jerry Growl

Composing Music in the Plastic Dark Ages
Me so wanna Briscati too!
If you want to know what the knobs do:
https://splice.com/blog/effects-101-reverb-explained/
https://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/understanding-digital-reverb-parameters

or more advanced:
http://downloads.liquidsonics.com/software/reverberate-core/manual/Reverberate_Core_User_Guide.pdf

On True Stereo:

True Stereo
The left input channel is convolved with the left and right impulse response file channels from IR1-A and the right input channel is convolved with the left and right impulse response file channel from IR1-B. The two output convolutions’ respective left and right components are then summed into a single stereo output. This configuration is necessary to take full advantage of true stereo impulse responses. True stereo impulse responses are required to be provided as two separate stereo files and loaded into IR1-A and IR1-B (or IR2-A and IR2-B). This configuration is typically found in high-end algorithmic reverbs.

Last edited:

Beat Kaufmann

Beat, I got right now Reverberate 2 as main reverb (only for ERs) for use it on (group BUS channels section), but first of all I would like to set it up properly, because there are so many different control knobs that I don’t understand whether I'm doing right or wrong, could you help to set up it correctly?
View attachment 20276
As algo-reverb, for insert tail over all I chose EAReverb 2 where I also need help with settings, but it can be done later. Thanks in advance
Unfortunately, I do not know the Reverberate2.
So you demand a lot from me, if I should explain all the functions of the buttons.

Nevertheless, here are a few hints ...

Basically
  • ER signals are typically 100ms to about 400ms long.
  • If possible, they should run out slowly.
  • Natural sounding ER signals are usually real those from real room Impulse Responses.
Reverberate 2
It seems to be a nice convolution-Reverb which is probably very usefull when it comes to insert ERs.

1. Search for "good" room impulses
  • Go through the entire IR library, set the Reverb to 100% Wet (Mix Knob) and watch the IR sound the farthest away.
  • Search especially natural room IRs. Although the real Bricasti M7 produces a nice reverb, it is an algo reverb. IRs from Bricasti are therefore rather good for Tails.
  • Also note that you choose impulse responses that do not sound completely falsified, but as neutral as possible.
  • Maybe the Reverberate 2 actually offers ERs. If not, just cut a normal IR to about 100-400ms and then fade the signal out. How to do that in your Reverberate probably (hopefully) knows the manual.

About the Settings of Reverberate2
  • Basically you can leave all settings at the buttons.
  • With "IR1 EDIT" "Length" you may have to shorten the time to 100-400ms with "END".
  • In the main menu "Mixer" you will probably find a wet/dry button to increase the amount of wet. This should cause the instruments to move away.
  • The results should sound similar to this.

About Settings of the Tail-Reverb
Try to use no or less ERs again.
Use Predelay so that the tail comes in after 70 - 150ms

Beat

Top Bottom