How do you use Your reverb on orchestral samples?

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by S R Krishnan, May 13, 2019.

1. 98bpm

98bpm Member

Sep 10, 2017
    USA
    Thank you sir.

2. Beat Kaufmann

Beat Kaufmann Active Member

No. You have to pan the individual audio channels and route them (panned) through the corresponding depth bus. That's why you should adjust left and right. Therefore, you should set the right-left position along with the selected depth.

Beat

3. Beat Kaufmann

The important thing is that the reverb in the main channel really does not produce ERs any more. It was supposed to deliver only the part of the reverb that we turned off in the bus. Unfortunately, you can not hide the ER part with Breeze without some tinkering. There are reverbs that can do that better. Also, this added tail-effect is often not larger than 20%.
    So try to find reverbs where you can hide or decrease ER.
    Set the Predelay to about 60 - 100ms (earlier the tail can not occur).
    Set about 18% wet and for orchestral music about 2 - 4 seconds Tail Decay. That's it.

Unfortunately, I do not own Space II. The individual depths should themselves contain as little "tail" as possible. So what comes from the depth groups sounds like this:
    If you can not produce such "dry" distances with Space II, you just leave the tail in the main channel and let your depths together with their tails. That works too - but without the "glue-effect" in the Main-Channel.
    As already mentioned: It only counts the result. How to achieve it does not really matter.

Beat

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  4. hdsmile

hdsmile Member

Dec 12, 2015
    thanks Beat, I should try with other algo reverbs, could you advise some which can hide ER?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  5. James H

James H 01001000 01101001

Dec 20, 2018
    UK
    Great posts, thanks all.

So, what about say EW Hollywood Orchestra. I only have the Gold, so only have the default Mid mic position. Would you still send this to the same bus that my dry libs are using?
    Doesn't this also make Spitfire C, T, A setups redundant? The more I learn the more I'm confused on this :S

6. Dave Connor

Dave Connor Senior Member

May 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I’m guessing that he sends to an Aux; EQ’s it there and sends that to the reverb? (Or that’s how you would do it if you don’t have EQ on the sends.)

7. Divico

Divico Senior Member

to be honest putting an eq before the verb on the aux will do fine

Dave Connor likes this.
  8. hdsmile

hdsmile Member

Dec 12, 2015
    exactly!

9. Divico

Divico Senior Member

having different mic positions is a different beast. Ambience from a room mic is different when just reverb on a close mic.

Jerry Growl likes this.
  10. James H

Dec 20, 2018
    UK
    But people seem to be just using the close mics?
    Would I then bus the room mics and mix them separately if required?

11. Divico

Divico Senior Member

I think people use lots of mics. //Depending on your needs on horsepower you can either mix your mic positions while composing or export all of them to different stems. As stated above Alaln Myerson likes to put reverb only on the ambient mics. Think of your close mics as a detail and clarity tool. You have a solo, give it some close mic. Want some chuga chuga spiccato celli, give them some close mics for more precise and crispy chug a chug action.

James H likes this.
  12. James H

Dec 20, 2018
    UK
    Thanks! Makes sense
    I certainly need some chuga chuga in my life

13. Beat Kaufmann

Freeware:

Some newer Reverbs at KVR (Paid, but not very expensive)

Beat

JEPA likes this.
  14. Dave Connor

Dave Connor Senior Member

May 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    No need for an additional aux - just use the aux the verb is sitting in - got it.

15. William Palmer

William Palmer Member

Aug 7, 2018
    London
    Awesome work :)

16. Divico

Divico Senior Member

thats waht im saying ;)

Dave Connor likes this.
  17. klavaus

klavaus New Member

Nov 14, 2015
    It would be very nice, if you could explain, how to disable the ER in Breeze2.

18. Andrew Souter

Andrew Souter Active Member

Mar 18, 2009

You can use Hall Alg-Modes, use high Density, large Pre-delay (like 25-100ms or so), and perhaps negative Contour values... This will make Breeze behave as if it were only tails....

We are almost ready to share with you guys the next step in the evolution of our approach to these topics also, FYI...

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Saxer, klavaus and Jerry Growl like this.
  19. MartinH.

MartinH. Senior Member

Jun 16, 2018

Did you RTFM yet? I'm 90% sure that would answer all your questions about those knobs and switches.

20. hdsmile

hdsmile Member

Dec 12, 2015
    m8 that's the problem that 90% -RTFM would answer some questions -and that is one crap, but experience is always another story!!!