How do you use HWB within a trailer context?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by sIR dORT, May 14, 2019 at 6:59 PM.

1. sIR dORT

sIR dORT Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I know that there are brass libs that are tailored for trailer stuff more (i.e. Trailer Brass), but I still think that I can use HWB for trailer stuff. So, for those who have it and use it in trailers (if any), how do you make HWB sound more cinematic/trailery (like Trailer Brass) instead of very classical/orchestral?

2. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    The absolute state of trailer music...

HWB horns was THE sound, while things like trailer brass don't even sound like brass.... they sound like synthesizers.

The reality is, that you're probably using the wrong instruments in the wrong ranges. what instruments are you trying to use?

What does your low brass voicing look like? I don't have HWB installed these days, but there is plenty of meat on them bones.

3. OP
    OP
    sIR dORT

sIR dORT Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I'm mainly trying to use the 2+1 trombones for low brass, and then 6 French horns for the mid to mid-higher ranges.

The thing that I'm having trouble with is that they sound to up in my face in a mix, whereas when I here well produced trailer mix, the brass are there, but not as much not up in your face. I haven't found turning down the tracks to work much.

4. BenG

BenG Senior Member

What mix/reverb set-up are you using? HWB is quite dry and needs to be treated properly to sit within an orchestral mix.

I always found HWB to be great with a huge sound.

5. OP
    OP
    sIR dORT

sIR dORT Member

Oct 26, 2018
    I dump a ton of Valhalla Room on.

6. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    #1 mistake? is to ride the mod wheel to 127.

everything looses it's body - and turns into harsh buzzing.

for low brass, use tuba and cimbassi an octave below the bones. You might even like the bass bone down there too depending on how high you're going.

That said, Don't go too low on the low brass either. Saggy ass flaps are mighty - only go as low as you can while keeping a meaty low fundamental.

you might need to cut some of the lows/low mids back a bit to push it further in the room - but proper orchestration is important - even for trailer music... not because of the playability, but simply the tone quality of the instruments in different ranges.

Henu and sIR dORT like this.
  7. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

I have only ever used HW Brass and SO Brass for epic cues. Lots of good advice here, I should also add that you should use the legato patches for the big melody lines....and ride the MOD wheel to breath realism and dynamics into the parts. I’d also be careful about adding too much of that reverb.

sIR dORT likes this.
  8. Karl Feuerstake

Karl Feuerstake Active Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Be sure to use the Cimbasso Marcato patch. It's got some good oompf that when paired with the HWB Trombones has some real meat to it.

9. Michael Antrum

Michael Antrum Only the good die young....

Sir, I commend your employment of the English language..... :grin:

10. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    I feel bad for anyone who isn't English first who ends up having to read my posts. I'm from Florida, and we're one of the dumbest states in the US. I say what I mean, but I might not use the classiest words to do it.

I'm trying

sIR dORT likes this.
  11. Michael Antrum

Michael Antrum Only the good die young....

I wasn't being snarky. I knew exactly what you were trying to convey. Loved it.

ProfoundSilence likes this.