What's new

How do you solve the limited space on a laptop problem

OP
F

FrozenIcicle

If the "internal" hard drive is the same that runs your system I highly suggest you not use it as your sample library hard drive.
The system drive, no matter the architecture of the processor, works a lot in the background, even if you're not using it. Running the operating system, the applications, the updates, the notifications, and everything that requires storage or virtual memory.
Having the sample libraries on the system drive, no matter the size means to slow and/or reduce the computer performance. Also, you have to consider that the sample libraries are data that every time you use gets read, and rewritten. This means that when you're using an X GB library you're subtracting that amount of GB from your system that has to "find" another spot for the background applications.

Having a bigger hard drive is not a solution, because the computer has to find the data necessary for its functionality in a bigger space.

The best solution is to have an internal hard drive big enough to contain OS + applications + 20% of free space. That's why you still have options to buy a new Mac with 256GB. Everything else should be located on external hard drives.

I personally have this configuration: System Drive + Time Machine, Projects Drive + 2 Backup, Library Drive + 2 Backup, Documents + 2 Backup. Every drive is 1TB. I'm still on spinning disks cause I still can't afford SSDs but I'm slowly upgrading my system. The concept does not change.

I hope this is helpful
Hmm so if I bought a new m1x with 2tb internal SSD, you're saying it's better not to have a core template using that 2tb internal SSD but to use it on a "template" external SSD?

Since you're on Mac, you can use symlinks to have all your libraries appear in one place regardless of where they are physically.
Oh haven't heard of this. So I would have the Symlink folder pointing to an external SSD which I would plug in?

juliandoe

youtube.com/juliandoe
Hmm so if I bought a new m1x with 2tb internal SSD, you're saying it's better not to have a core template using that 2tb internal SSD but to use it on a "template" external SSD?
Yes. You can have all your libraries on a dedicated external hard drive and use your internal 2TB
for the system, applications, synths, VSTs, files, and documents that you don't use too much.
If you're using the Logic Library, Spitfire, or Orchestral Tools plugins they have their own method to relocate the libraries. The Kontakt libraries must be reactivated via Native Access.
When you make the template use your external hard drive as a source.

proxima

Oh haven't heard of this. So I would have the Symlink folder pointing to an external SSD which I would plug in?
It's related to the linking that Dan Keen did in his video for Logic preferences, but you'd apply it to samples. Here's an example. Suppose your external drive was /Volumes/External and you put samples on your internal drive in /Users/YourUser/Samples/. Suppose then you decided you wanted Native Instruments libraries to be on the external drive, but all Spitfire libraries to be on the internal drive.

You would install the Spitfire libraries onto /Users/YourUser/Samples/Spitfire and they'd operate as you'd expect.

Then you'd create a symlink from /Users/YourUser/Samples/NativeInstruments and point it to a new folder on /Volumes/External/NativeInstruments. If you dropped a file into /Users/YourUser/Samples/NativeInstruments/, it would appear to all applications like it's there, but really it's in /Volumes/External/NativeInstruments/. Then install your NI libraries, pointing to /Users/YourUser/Samples/NativeInstruments/. NI will think they're there, but the files themselves won't be.

Supposing down the line you want to swap, and have NI locally and Spitfire externally. You can move the Spitfire files externally and create the symlink, and you can move the NI files and remove its symlink. All your applications would continue to think everything is in /Users/YourUser/Samples, but where the storage is would vary.

thevisi0nary

Whatever you end up buying, one thing that has always held firmly true for me is that is I have never regretted getting more storage than I need, but I have ALWAYS regretted getting a smaller drive to save money, because I always outgrow them eventually. It's why I've ended up with several 1tb or smaller sata SSDs in my desktop. When I eventually get the laptop I want and it's my main device, there is now no practical way all that space can translate into something portable and practical. The only option is to get a multi bay thing which is not at all portable.

When I do upgrade I will get something like this and never have to consider the problem again. - https://www.microcenter.com/product...e-gen-30x4-3d-nand-internal-solid-state-drive

Bman70

I'm not sure if I solved it, I'm too busy writing music on my 500GB / 16GB laptop. Usually with Omnisphere, Kontakt Komplete 12U.. Spitfire Abbey Road ONE.. Ozone 9 Advanced.. tons of 3rd party Kontakt stuff.. I'm sure I could find technical stuff to stress about if I want to.

I do use an external 1TB SSD, which is great since I can move it between desktop and laptop and share projects / libraries.

Rossy

Looking to finally upgrade my Macpro2010 tower to a Macbookpro Mx1 and the SSD prices are ridiculously as we all know.

If I went with 4TB internal, that's still can fit maybe 1-6 libraries on it (without everyday files/logic sessions)

How do you guys solve this? Surely we're not plugging into an external SSD box or transferring the libraries we want when we go portable?
I'm currently using a Samsung T5 1 TB connected to my thunderbolt connection on my Lenovo p50 and I honestly don't see much of a problem in loading and speed. I do have 32G of ram and I have loaded BBCSO Core without any issues. I mostly only use it for sketching when I am in the living room.

OP
F

FrozenIcicle

I'm currently using a Samsung T5 1 TB connected to my thunderbolt connection on my Lenovo p50 and I honestly don't see much of a problem in loading and speed. I do have 32G of ram and I have loaded BBCSO Core without any issues. I mostly only use it for sketching when I am in the living room.
I'm not sure if I solved it, I'm too busy writing music on my 500GB / 16GB laptop. Usually with Omnisphere, Kontakt Komplete 12U.. Spitfire Abbey Road ONE.. Ozone 9 Advanced.. tons of 3rd party Kontakt stuff.. I'm sure I could find technical stuff to stress about if I want to.

I do use an external 1TB SSD, which is great since I can move it between desktop and laptop and share projects / libraries.
This opens up another dilemma of mine... use the cash to buy the new mac pro (Hopefully M chip replaces intel) and have a mac air for sketching?

OR buy a MBP and make it my main composing powerful machine and use my old macpro2010 tower as a coffee stand

Tronam

Whatever you end up buying, one thing that has always held firmly true for me is that is I have never regretted getting more storage than I need, but I have ALWAYS regretted getting a smaller drive to save money, because I always outgrow them eventually. It's why I've ended up with several 1tb or smaller sata SSDs in my desktop.
Yeah, it's why I've ended up with 3 progressively larger (but not big enough) SSDs and 3 or 4 various other HDs, none with enough capacity for all of my data resulting in it being spread out across all of them, which also makes backups more complicated and confusing at times. Photographers know this phenomenon well, leading to an accumulation of progressively more expensive tripods and camera bags when they could've just invested more up front in something they could grow into. I will no longer scrimp on storage when I buy a new computer.

Top Bottom