1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you set up your orchestral template?

Discussion in 'Workflow Tips & DIYs' started by elfman, Feb 5, 2018.

1. elfman

elfman Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I'm working on setting mine up right now. I only have Spitfire so I feel like balancing won't be that difficult.

PS - Do you you have every instrument loaded at once, or do you load as you go? The first is obviously ideal for quick work flow but I feel like it could drown your ram.

2. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    I've loaded everything woodwinds, strings, brass and percussion, but purged them, thus saving ram. Basically I have legatos for each instrument in a separate track, but the rest I've grouped to shorts and longs. Thus e.g. for Violins 1 I have 1 Legato track, 1 Shorts track and 1 Longs track. I'm doing articulation switching with Cubase's Expression Maps. Also I'm sending the tracks to groups: Berlin Strings, Hollywood Strings, Soaring Strings, etc and they go to Strings, which go to Orchestra group. For reverb, I'm sending the library groups to FX channels, which have reverbs. The FX channels don't send straight to Output, but to Wet channel, which enables me to change the level of wetness from one fader. I have about 400 tracks, which is not too much, and enough for flexibilty in mixing, e.g. I can mix shorts differently from longs, which sometimes is handy.

So basically my template looks like this:
    • Woodwinds
      • Berlin Woodwinds
      • Auddict Woodwinds
      • Albion Woodwinds
      • Metropolis 1 Woodwinds
    • Strings
      • Berlin Strings
      • Soaring Strings
      • Hollywood Strings
      • Albion Strings
      • Metropolis 1 Strings
    • Brass
      • Berlin Brass
      • Chris Hein Brass
      • Metropolis 1 Brass
      • Hollywood Brass
    • Percussion
      • Hollywood Orchestra Percussion
      • Albion Percussion
      • Metropolis 1 Percussion
      • ROP
    • FX channels
      • Berlin Woodwinds Reverb
      • Auddict Woodwinds Reverb
      • etc...
    • Group channels
      • Woodwinds
        • Berlin Woodwinds
        • Auddict Woodwinds
        • Albion Woodwinds
        • Metropolis 1 Woodwinds
      • Strings, etc..
      • Orchestra -> Stereo Out
      • WET -> Stereo Out
    • Stereo Out
    Berlin Woodwinds, Berlin Strings, Berlin Brass and Hollywood Strings and Hollywood Brass come from VEPro, but I'm using the machine for that. Have been stable so far.

kimarnesen, Threedog and essay like this.
  3. milesito

milesito Senior Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Are you using Dry/close Mic's for your libraries? Also, why do you need to have a shorts and longs separate if they all go to the same bus where you add the same amount of reverbs to shorts and longs?

4. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    I'm using a mixture of close and tree mics. I have them separate because sometimes I want to eq just the shorts.

5. Threedog

Threedog New Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Do you have for each track one instance of Kontakt , or for one group -> one instance?

I'm struggeling a little bit in cubase with that. In Ableton Live it is possible to link multiple instrument tracks (which contains one midi and one audio track) too an instance of Kontakt.

upload_2018-2-6_19-57-10.png

6. sekkosiki

sekkosiki Senior Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Espoo
    I have one instance for each track.

So you would like to use 1 Kontakt instance and several midi tracks. Just choose the midi output and midi channel from the Inspector for each midi track.
    cubase midi.png

7. Puzzlefactory

Puzzlefactory Senior Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I’ve recently gone ultra simple with my template.

Because batch resave makes load times really short, I don’t feel the need to have everything loaded.

My new template in Logic consists of 5 track stacks (groups) for strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion and sound design. Each one has an empty Kontakt in.

I then just duplicate the tracks as I go along and load different articulations into the duplicate Kontakts.

I also setup two reverb buses, one convolution and one algorithmic.

I route the empty kontakts sends to the reverbs and set the faders to -10db for headroom, so that every time I duplicate the track it’s all ready to go.

Zoot_Rollo and TheKRock like this.
  8. davidgary73

davidgary73 Senior Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tons of users here using VEP and yup, DAW no longer gets crunched up with CPU overloads etc.

As for template, no longer use them. Just choose what is appropriate for the project/movie cues and mix as i go along in VEP 6 :)

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  9. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

I have actually gone back to this method, and I don't miss loading up those big templates.