What's new

How do you create this effect?

tmm

Hans' MoS score, If You Love These People, around 2:58ish... there's this awesome, ethereal, moving pad kind of sound. My best guess is that it's just a creative arrangement of high woodwind arpeggios, but I can't really tell. Does anyone know for sure?

Any ideas which synth / patch would get me close? I have a couple trial / demo level synths (Reaktor that came w/ Kontakt, Zebra2 demo), and haven't heard a sound like that.

tmm, without joking, I do not know what synth Hans had used here, but I will repeat my suggestion again: Learn to program synthesizers!

After a short time you will begin to hear and listen different. You will be able to analyse any sound. Believe me!

Yes, Gunther, I suppose that really is the best approach. I just look at all the parameters in Zebra2 and cringe. I guess I should look at them as very, very deep tweakability instead (which is a good thing) :)

Still, a nod in the right direction (ie. synth / patch suggestion) would be a great jump-start ;)

Don't try to learn synthesis on Zebra. It's more of a viritual semimodular synth, so it combines multiple synthesis techniques. Start of with a simple subtracktive synth with an easy and simple interface.

Don't try to learn synthesis on Zebra. It's more of a viritual semimodular synth, so it combines multiple synthesis techniques. Start of with a simple subtracktive synth with an easy and simple interface.

Yes, I underline this!

Maybe start with using Kontakt Sampler as a synth, because all what you need for a good start is there.

My learning synthesizer was Synth1. It'll give you a good sense of oscillators, envelopes, filters...etc Ignore the "Effect" section the top right, download the free banks and check out the pads and tweak around with the filters and LFO.

I'm at work atm, but I'm currently designing a bank for the ZebraCM (even less modular than Zebra2), I can potentially tweak one of my choir pads to mimick this, will let you know. My question is... is there a reason why you're set on getting this same sound? The beauty of a synthesizer is you can customize any way you want.

This a track I recently did for competition, it's done completely in ZebraCM. Around the 0:32 mark (you'll have to listen past the other synth sounds)... It's short of some EQ, LFO, and possibly a composite secondary higher pitched sound.
[flash width=450 height=110 loop=false]https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F116325020&secret_url=false[/flash]

As stated by other members, this is a pretty generic sound. You can probably find 10 synth with free banks that have this sound before I get home today.

Wonderful work Paul. Was it you that did the Zebra Orchestra?

tmm it sounds like Zebra to me, and it does sound like quite a simple sound. Im not saying I know how to make it, but I know from the Dark Zebra patches, Zebra Orchestra and Matt The Unfinished's patches that to me it reminds me of some of those.

It could be all made in Zebra, or it could also be layered with some processed acoustic thing. In fact it may be all processed acoustic instruments as I think Hans said all the things people think are synths in MOS were made from things like experiments he did with the lap steel guitars.

My question is... is there a reason why you're set on getting this same sound?

I don't need that sound specifically, I was just wondering how it was made. I'm working on a song currently where I've been trying to figure out a pad / texture to go behind some very minimal / atmospheric instrumentation, and something like that would fit well, I think.

Dont worry tmm, I understand the urge to find sounds I hear in other peoples music :D

There's a choir patch Mark Snow (of X-Files) has used for years and my god do I wish I had it, nothing else like it.

Zebra Orchestra is not my doing, though I just checked it out, it's amazing.

My current bank project is for ZebraCM... I haven't played with Zebra2 enough to venture out of the percussions just yet, but I'll be porting some of the ZebraCM bank to Zebra2. Mine will be targeted at the staccato sounds. But I hope to create a bank that does various simulations as well.

@tmm, I ask also because it's often more fun/rewarding to play around with synthesizers than go on an endless hunt for "that" sound, especially with synthetic sounds, it'll be tough for a preset bank to have exactly what you want. My two cents.

Paul

Haha, nice, answered by the man himself. Thanks, Hans, I appreciate it. It's a really beautiful sound. To my ear, it sounded almost like it could have been made with high woodwinds. What I really liked about it, though, was the texture, and, I think something like it would work very well in the song I'm working on.

It's strange, b/c I really haven't really liked any of the patches I've tested out with Zebra2 (I have the demo version, and a good collection of the free sound sets out there), but obviously it's capable of making sounds I do like. I guess it's officially time for me to learn more about how to actually use synths.

I did not know Rctec is Hans Zimmer. Wow, I thought it was some random guy who was just loves Zebra so much and was certain it was done by Zebra just by listening to it. I have been gone from this site for ridiculously long time.

Top Bottom