What's new

How do the Riccoti Mallets compare to Joby Burgess Perc?

They're unrelated. That is, they are not the full or expanded sample set from those earlier sessions.

Nothing comes close to Ricotti Mallets, in my view (and I've owned quite a few). And they layer well, with other instruments and with each other. It's absolutely miraculous how you can use every member of this library in a dense arrangement and clearly hear each distinct part.

The mic mix flexibility is essential, as well as the mallet choices, the ability to either manually or automatically switch mallets based on note range or hardness of playing, and the special trill triggers.

Spitfire's Orchestral Percussion library is greatly overlooked though, and I forgot I had it until it started coming up here in various discussions. After delving into it more deeply, it quickly became my preferred library for almost anything that isn't in Rhapsody or isn't ideal there. Chromatic percussion in the regular library is adequate, better than average, but no substitute for buying Ricotti.

Agreed. The mallet percussion in Jody Burgess is passable fine as far as it goes, but the room sound is baked in, and the sampling, though adequate, isn't very deep. So it's not flexible enough for a lot of things.

Ricotti are much deeper and more versatile, and range of sticks and articulations is incredibly useful, though it remains an annoyance to me that it doesn't feature a vibraphone, meaning Spitfire lacks a deeply-sampled version of this instrument.

Ok I bought Ricotti Mallets. I feel like I need them in my life and both your comments are overwhelmingly positive. I’ve also just qualified for Aperture Strings so will have to try those out as well.

Oh wow, lucky you! I have no G.A.S. this Black Friday as I am sizing down and my rare new purchases are rather far removed from stuff that is on Black Friday sales from any vendors at the moment. So I won't get to enjoy the Aperture Strings, whose audio demos I found quite impressive.

Oh wow, lucky you! I have no G.A.S. this Black Friday as I am sizing down and my rare new purchases are rather far removed from stuff that is on Black Friday sales from any vendors at the moment. So I won't get to enjoy the Aperture Strings, whose audio demos I found quite impressive.

I didn’t buy anything last year but there are a few things I’ve wanted for a while so I guess it’s just lucky timing really.

I’m just wondering how the Spitfire Riccoti Mallets compares to the instruments in the Joby Burgess Spitfire Orchestral Perc library? Thinking about buying them. Hmmm...

I use the Ricotti stuff all the time. Plus, got to work with him this summer and he's awesome.

I also have the regular Spitfire Orch library and the Ricotti mallets have much more control -- more mallets and so on.

I use the Ricotti stuff all the time. Plus, got to work with him this summer and he's awesome.

I also have the regular Spitfire Orch library and the Ricotti mallets have much more control -- more mallets and so on.

Downloading it right now and very excited about it. Every person who has ever said anything about it has nothing but praise for it and I love the demos. I’ve been trying to write a piece only using Orchestral instruments for a while so I can’t wait to get these in my template!

One thing to remember on the Spitfire stuff -- though I don't know if it applies universally across all libraries -- is that Note On Velocity is rarely used, so I have to export older MIDI from DP to Logic and then run my custom script to convert to MIDI CC (DPO doesn't support this feature), to turn it into CC1 for Dynamics in Spitfire stuff.

I didn't know this when I first started using their libraries. The only parts that I have not yet done this for, are the chromatic percussion tracks, but I may have already concluded it's an exception to the rule. I was about to reinvestigate that this weekend. I know I did fiddle with things to get the best mallet choices and articulations at all times.

UPDATE: I have now taken care of this, and it does indeed make a difference, even for mallet percussion.

Last edited:
I don't have the Ricotti Mallets, but i do have the Joby Burgess perc lib, and I think it has some of the best melodic percussion I've heard (is it true that the celeste was used in the Harry Potter score?).

After hearing all the praise, i now will have to check out Ricotti.

It's not bad at all; just fewer options and less depth. But it says a lot, that I place the Marimba in Spitfire Percussion as fourth, behind Ricotti, Soniccouture, and HandHeld Scoring Mallets.

Similarly, the Crotales come in fourth place, but are a bit of a tie with NI Symphony Series, and right behind Ricotti's. This is the one case where I put VSL's Percussion a bit above, but I use both.

I do feel the Xylophone in the main Spitfire Percussion leaves a bit to be desired, and the Glockenspiel also falls a bit towards the upper mids in my lists, but there's a lot more competition with Glocks.

One thing to remember on the Spitfire stuff -- though I don't know if it applies universally across all libraries -- is that Note On Velocity is rarely used, so I have to export older MIDI from DP to Logic and then run my custom script to convert to MIDI CC (DPO doesn't support this feature), to turn it into CC1 for Dynamics in Spitfire stuff.

I didn't know this when I first started using their libraries. The only parts that I have not yet done this for, are the chromatic percussion tracks, but I may have already concluded it's an exception to the rule. I was about to reinvestigate that this weekend. I know I did fiddle with things to get the best mallet choices and articulations at all times.

Well, I almost have the whole Symphonic Orchestra, all the HZ libraries, LCO, Albions, erm, yeah, the list is getting pretty silly.
I usually have a bank of faders controlling different CCs setup for SA libraries.

Yeah, I'll have to do something like that when I start recording brand-new parts, but luckily my parts are very good as-is, as they were run through similar sources previously whose dynamic layers, though triggered by velocity, closely match those of Spitfire.

After using Ricotti Mallets in a piece I'm writing, Man, these mallets sound so amazing! Trying hard not to over use them. They seriously cut through the SSO and the definition is fantastic! So glad I bought this! It's amazing how much joy a sample library can bring... Or I just seriously need to start going out more.

No, it isn't just you. Many sample libraries can bring satisfaction -- especially with a lot of elbow grease -- but Ricotti's Mallets make me feel like I'm playing a real live breathing instrument. Lots of joy! And it'll just get better, once we get more expertise at the key switching, dynamic layers, etc.

Although I'm going to save my main review comments for the Celesta specific thread, I just thought I'd mention that I finally got around to deep-diving into the one in Joby Burgess Percussion today, and it is now far and away my top choice for that instrument. I wish I hadn't overlooked it earlier.

It isn't perfect, which I'll explain elsewhere, but there is not yet a celesta library that I consider a likely long-term keeper.

Top Bottom