What's new

How do I create LFO movements on automation parameters on Logic Pro X?

I didn't know the Tremolo plug-in has an autopanner.

One thing to be kept in mind is the following:

Logic's Tremolo acts in the same way as Logic's "Pan" knob traditionally does (the latter with more options since some versions):
This means, when the audio is panned hard left, it means that only the left portion of a stereo file is played at that time. I.e. the stuff from the right is muted for that period of time.
That means: there is no movement in space, just a offsetted levelling of both channels.

If you want to keep your signal stereo, which means you hear both channels all the time, just with a changed panning, you need a different kind of treatment.
E.g. you can automate Logic's Direction meter.

I've set up a small test to provide some screenshots.
I made a Zebra patch with 2 oscillators: one 16' Square - panned hard left
and one 4' Saw - panned hard right.
So you can keep better apart what's shown in the pics:
A) the static sound
B) panned with Logic's Tremolo
C) panned with Logic's Direction meter via automation
(for the automation i used a little dummy region which i copied then and merged with the region)

Attachments

• Pan_Waveforms.png
    Pan_Waveforms.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Pan_PlugIn-Settings.png
    Pan_PlugIn-Settings.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 3
...hence my suggestion for the Cherry Audio download.

But Charlie's solution is obviously better. I didn't know the Tremolo plug-in has an autopanner.

To use the Tremolo plugin as an autopanner, you can start with the factory preset "Slow Panning" and tweak it to taste. The Phase control in the lower right will determine if it's acting as a panner or as a basic tremolo - phase at 180 makes the volume tremolo operate oppositely in the L+R channels, phase at 0 makes it operate as a normal tremolo. The Smoothing control morphs the LFO shape from square to triangle, and the Symmetry control controls pulse width - with a square LFO it operates as normal PW control and with a triangle LFO it will morph it to a sawtooth. Use depth control to get less than total modulation. Easy.

I also use this plugin as a basic trance-gate. Set Phase and Smoothing to 0, Rate synced to 16th notes, and away you go. If I automate anything it's usually the depth control.

Tremolo.png

Thanks for the detailed response guys. Will try everything out!
Very weird that logic doesn't have a built in LFO for this already.

I wish they would add some options to the line drawing collection to add sine ways, square waves, triangles, etc..to any CC or parameter automation with quick tools. Agreed.

Another suggestion, it just occurred to me that LFOTool I mentioned earlier has an audio version of the plugin which might work directly on the audio track in question without any crazy routing... That would be worth a look also.

I just checked the behaviour of two other panners to see if they actually do pan or just level the auto with an offset:

Soundtoys' PanMan only does tremolos with an offset (i.e. no panning)

However, Melda's MAutopan, which comes with the free bundle, indeed does real panning.
Fun thing is, i always prefered it to my other options without ever having exactly checked the behaviour of PanMan...

As a small overview there are screenshots of all waveforms, as the settings in PanMan and Autopan. Pan-all-waveforms.png Pan_Settings2.png

Top Bottom