How can I achieve this kind of sound?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by KallumS, Jan 5, 2019.

1. KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    I've been listening to the Dragonball Z Kai soundtrack by Kenji Yamamoto and really like the sound of the tracks. I've been trying to get a similar sound out of Metropolis Ark 2 but it doesn't sound anything alike.

Here's one of the tracks: (around the 50 second mark)

I'm guessing it's a chamber size orchestra? What kind of library would get me there? I've been looking at Spitfire Studio Strings with a convolution reverb. Also perhaps Light & Sound Chamber Strings?

Here's another example, from the same album:

I might be wrong but it sounds like the same setup as the first track.

Please help :alien:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. Guffy

Guffy Fugdup

Sep 13, 2013
    Norway
    Have you checked out Spitfire chamber strings?

3. Roy V

Roy V New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    Try any spitz patch

4. OP
    OP
    KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    Thanks, SCS sounds quite similar. It's quite expensive though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. WhiteNoiz

WhiteNoiz ';...;'

Jun 20, 2012
    1. https://audiobro.com/lass-2-0/ (Solos/sections)

2. https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Strings_Complete/Chamber_Strings_Bundle#!Demos (Prob good for the repetitions, check the Chamber Strings Performance demo)

3. https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Strings_Complete/Solo_Strings_Bundle#!Demos

4. https://www.bestservice.com/emotional_violin.html

5. https://www.bestservice.com/emotional_cello.html

6. https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/alternative-solo-strings/ (legato?)

7. Then maybe something for layering: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/spitfire-studio-strings/ or SCS, to make it bigger/more varied if need be, anything else will prob be too big (I'd always recommend tasteful layering of some KH strings, but opinions vary a lot on that :P )

8. Last time I heard LS chamber it felt pretty thin/lacking impact and kinda ambient, but not sure, just my impression...

Prob VSL or LASS tbh.

KallumS likes this.
  6. Vladimir Bulaev

Vladimir Bulaev Member

Jan 4, 2017
    I built the beginning of the composition "Dragon Ball Kai OST I-Anxiety And Unease"

here is Spitfire Chamber Strings
    rhythm section - Short Spiccato patch

Attached Files:

7. Vladimir Bulaev

Vladimir Bulaev Member

Jan 4, 2017
    But the Berlin strings. The sound in spiccato is little different, but in Berlin has more round robins, than spitfire, which makes them more powerful. But it takes more resources in RAM.
    Berlin 19RR vs Spitfire 8RR
    by the way "violins I" - 24RR!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  8. ProfoundSilence

ProfoundSilence Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    maybe lass first chairs? combined with anything else you already have?

met ark 4 would be perfect for that if it didn't have 2 celli 1 bass in octave...

though truth be told, the king of rebow legato is CSS/CSSS... maybe you could get away with it using CSSS+layering a little bit of something bigger underneath?

Serg Halen and KallumS like this.
  9. ag75

ag75 Active Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Nantucket
    I bet the Bernard Herrmann Composer Toolkit would work well for this. Maybe?

KallumS likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    Oh my word, thank you for going to such lengths! I’ve listened a few times already, ABing between this and the original and I’ve got to say, when in context like this SCS sounds perfect! Very intimate and personal.

I also listened to your Berlin Strings rendition, I personally prefer the tone of SCS.

I better start saving!

styledelk likes this.
  11. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    I would caution thinking *that way*

not to be rude, but is your plan to just do DB kai covers? Or are you looking for a general purpose string library?

not to knock SCS, I think it's a solid library(perhaps SFA's best library) but in general - you should look in a much larger scope at string libraries... flexibility, mic positions, ect.

main things to keep in mind:
    tone matters, but with many of these more comprehensive string libraries - similar sounds can be achieved rather easily, using the right mic positions and maybe a dab of EQ.

things that can't be emulated with EQ and mic positions?
    Articulations
    section sizes
    control/shaping

SCS is on the smaller size for ensembles
    then Berlin is probably next,
    although I think CSS is bigger, sounds smaller than berlin.
    Then SSS/LASS are around the same size(although SSS gives the impression of being bigger)

Berlin can definitely go either way, depending on mic choice - closer to SCS or closer to SSS. And you can seamlessly blend articulations for days(especially if you have expansion a and b). So you could "morph" between sul pont, sus without vibrato, sus with romantic vibrato, and sul tasto. you can also morph between spiccato, spiccato exposed, staccato, martele, ect. Having the first chair expansion would allow you to get an even smaller ensemble sound(although it would limit the articulations you can use from the main library)

LASS has the benefit of having first chairs, and full/a/b/c per section. So you can build your own section sizes - divisi, ect. And it's reverb friendly.

CSS+CSSS is another situation where you can use the first chairs blended to get a more focused smaller ensemble sound, and you still have a decent number of mics to work with.

to prove a point here: if you actually wanted to match the sound, the closest would easily be LASS + LASS FC.

all I did was toss cellos A B, and FC on a kontakt instance, adjusted the volume of the FC, threw a tiny(really tiny) bit of EQ on, which was just a pinch around 530hz cut(1.58 db) and then a spinkle of high shelf to bring back the air after I tossed a very small amount of reverb(seventh heaven boston hall a, 1.65 seconds) the last two where just to match the presence and distance of the original recordings you linked.

edit: reuploaded, mine was a little brighter than I realized(I didn't AB)

Attached Files:

KallumS likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    That's very helpful, thank you.

The question came more from a place of 'I was listening to this album and realised I don't have any small string libraries' than wanting to do covers. I must admit though, I do want to incorporate elements of the album into my growing style. Not necessarily to copy - especially considering the composers music was removed from the show due to plagiarism! I guess GAS comes into it a bit aswell.

Most people in the thread mentioned LASS and CSS so I'll definitely check those out. Thanks all for the replies!

13. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    for perfecting THAT sound, lass is a good choice.

for a general chamberish sound - SCS is a bit big feeling for a chamber, but its definitely on the smaller side of ensembles.

but all in all - check articulations ect. For me, Berlin strings can do next to anything - and capsule makes many things possible. It's about a fortune, but it's quite a "one stop shop"

contrary to the previous berlin strings example, im slowly(but surely) rebuilding my template, and with 0 plugins(no reverb, no eq, just mic blends) my setup sounds much larger(although I didn't want my strings to sound AS big as something like SSS)

that's just arming some flutes/violin 1/cello/horns and playing some melodies you *should* be familiar with(although I got some hiccupping while recording) But all in all - just remember that mic positions are pretty important, and if you find a library that has the articulations/control you like - then there is a good chance you can sculpt a sound pretty easily using mic blends + EQ. And ofcourse blending articulations helps too...

in Vladimir's example he used berlin strings spiccato, when blending it with spiccato exposed would get much closer. It's extremely easy to set that up with capsule, but in SCS it shouldn't be too hard if you get creative.

Attached Files:

KallumS likes this.
  14. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    hire a string quintet. It's not that expensive and you'll get a lot more of what you want.

studiostuff and ag75 like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    I must admit, I am a massive fan of Orchestral Tools and think I'll stick with them for my libraries, so it would make sense to get Berlin Strings at some point. I've also been looking at EXP D, the first chairs...

I think at the moment I'll persevere with what I'll got and revisit this thread when I have the funds to upgrade my sound.

I also like your suggest about hiring a string quintet John, if a song calls for it I'll definitely consider doing that over using VIs.

16. ProfoundSilence

Dec 10, 2018
    only thing that kills me is how brutal it is on ram! Cripples my machine quickly, so ive just decided to run everything frozen when im not using it. This however came with the benefit that I'm also going to be using mutli's and blending articulations as the norm, considering ram is no longer a limiting factor.(due to freezing) so I can load every single articulation, and not have to budget ram for the template

17. OP
    OP
    KallumS

KallumS Active Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Camden, London
    How much RAM have you got? I've got 24gb, fingers crossed that'd be enough.

18. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    nice.what did you use for cello?

19. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Just the main Berlin Strings was marginal for me at 32GB. I could use them, but I had to be judicious with mics and articulations. And even more so when used in context with other instruments. I haven’t yet tried it after upgrading to 64GB. I’m hopeful I can finally exploit their full potential.

20. Vladimir Bulaev

Vladimir Bulaev Member

Jan 4, 2017
    solo cello - Cinematic Studio Solo Strings
    woodwinds and horn - Berlin Series

Rey and KallumS like this.