What's new

How are you using HZ Strings?

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
So I finally bought HZ Strings. Love the sound of it. Beautiful. I'm curious how people are working with it especially in their VEPro templates. It's not multi timbral and there is a huge number of different Mic arrays to have as separate instruments using different Midi Ports (that would be a lot of VEPro tabs). Thinking this library may have to be a load as you go type thing.

The more I play about with this library, the more I realise there is too it. The number of Mic Positions are amazing.

Really wish there were more short notes, buttons to turn the mic positions on/off (like Kontakt), and wish all the Mics were visible on one tab page or on 2 pages max.

Some really inspiring patches in that!

Wondering if HZ Strings is ever going to have Multi Timbral?

Is anyone using HZ Strings in VEPro?

I use it in VE Pro; I have quite a few instances of it. It has that "restrained power" vibe that nothing else seems to provide.

Yeah I agree. The sound of it is just awe inspiring. I’ve just bought another 12 core 128gb Mac Pro 5,1 Slave and figuring out what is going on what and I’d really like to have as much stuff as I can being hosted in VEPro rather than in Cubase for stability. I’m just waiting for an ssd to arrive so I can try this out for myself but out of interest, how many instances are you running? I’m kind of thinking of having just HZ String patches within one VEPro tab so i have the option to disable the whole lot via one automation button. I guess there are many ways of working with this but as it’s not multitimbral, it’s going to use a lot of midi ports (hence all being confined to its own VEPro tab).

This isn't exactly a great work or anything, but I finally spent some time with HZ Strings last night improvising. This is mostly stuff from the Scandi patches of each, with flautando violins. No real keystwitching here yet (my compositional process is almost entirely improvisation and problem solving).

The mic setups for each of them is a little different, but mostly close+tree+ambient.

The sound is great, unfortunately I can't figure out now to use legato, the transition between notes is always too loud for me if I play soft...any suggestion?

For me, i have each section as an indovual VI track in cubase. I then compose with some basic mic selctions 2-3. Then when im finished (or just about) i turn on the rest of the mics. This is really where its at with this library. Some of my VI Tracks are 12-15 GB of RAM cause of the mics but man its worth it. I like this route cause then i just freeze the tracks when i am done.

Its a simple process for me that works perfect. Having said that, i dont have VEP or a slave, but if you could run everything on your slave perfectly, and its just for HZS, well, then I say go for it.

I typlically compose with this as my main string library and have spent a great great deal of time with it. Its not a plug and play library. Worth the time you invest.

The sound is great, unfortunately I can't figure out now to use legato, the transition between notes is always too loud for me if I play soft...any suggestion?

I agree this has tripped me up a few times... its a little better after the last update but offten find myself just using the longs with excellent results. Ill start with the legato (depending on the part) and then if i have some issues, i simply move to the longs. I also make sure i am using both the dynamics AND expression in automation. This is key to getting the legatos/longs to sound great (or any of the patches for that matter). Seems like using just the dynamics isnt enough like in other libraries I’ve used.

Top Bottom