What's new

How are these kind of sounds made ?

Those sound like they are made from resampling strings with fx on them. To me the first one sounds like sul tasto played at low velocity, compressed, then running through some sort of tape saturation, filtered, then resampling a clip of one note around C3 or so and putting that into another sampler like EXS24 and making a pad patch out of it. At least thats how I would go about creating something similar.

This video from Spitfire recently shows some good examples of the type of different sounds you can create by resampling

LABS "Harmonic Birdsong Cello" and two of its violin patches (Harmonic + Super Sul Tasto). I pushed it pretty hard with Phil's Cascade / CHOW Tape Model (free and pretttttty great.) and ended up using Elysia nivaeu filter (also free) which I haven't really messed with much. I tried to keep it to free stuff just in case. Sorry @doctoremmet it's not obliterated to the point of being crunchy :D , just... snowy.

I went a little heavy-handed on the noise in CHOW Tape for sure. Also, I didn't do this on my first try but it sounds like the entrance of the 2nd set of notes in ex.#2 are faded in using reverb wet/dry automation. I just recorded the notes, put them through those effects I mentioned before, dropped the violins by an octave and raised the cello by an octave and doubled the resampled cello. You can use anything, I used default FL sampler + an instance of Harmor resampling.

This ended up being a lot snowier and less clear/spacious than the example but that's just a matter of playing with how much saturation and where you put the saturation/reverb in the chain/resampling. I didn't get it right in the first 20 minutes so I'm just gonna leave the rest to you @nuyo lol, it's just a combination of the steps that have been mentioned already above. Don't saturate too much, keep the tape hiss to high-freq only and your mix will end up with more depth than mine (which is comparatively 2D compared to your examples)

if I did a round 2, I'd put the first sound in a bigger space with subtle tape hiss only in the very high highs, and then the second entrance of notes I'd bring closer to the center (not nearly as panned, since everything in mine is kinda wide = nothing is wide) and do the same with its reverb. Same space, just mono-er than the other. That should help with the depth. EDIT: I actually tried to do a round 2, got a lot better sense of space but my project crashed, that's FL for you (and my CPU power when playinmultiple Sonsig/Phil's/CHOW/niveau filters). Suffice it to say the mono/stereo differences + not over-saturating can do a lot for depth/space

Attachments

• LABS unresampled.mp3
    396 KB
  • LABS resample.mp3
    474.6 KB
Last edited:
Sorry @doctoremmet it's not obliterated to the point of being crunchy :D , just... snowy. This ended up being a lot snowier and less clear/spacious than the example but that's just a matter of playing with how much saturation and where you put the saturation/reverb in the chain/resampling.
Sorry?? Dude, you and your creativity just made my day ❤️ ❤️

Top Bottom