What's new

Bunker Strings version 2.0: new content, new features, new looks!

I'll have limited access to my music PC over the next week but I'll do a quick demo if I get a chance. I did something similar with the pizz in Orchestral Swarm and Tantra and liked it but there's lots in Bunker Strings that should sound great through it too.

I'm way digging this library. The sound is pretty cool in general and I also like that fact that I can quickly create a track using only this lib and nothing else. I need to experiment a bit more tough - layering these instruments with other Kontakt stuff is fun. A lot of options.

Anyway, you recorded those strings in a bunker. How did you get that idea? :grin: Not that I don't like that (I've had countless recording sessions in, let's say, weird makeshift studios), but it's definitely an unusual location.

I'm way digging this library. The sound is pretty cool in general and I also like that fact that I can quickly create a track using only this lib and nothing else. I need to experiment a bit more tough - layering these instruments with other Kontakt stuff is fun. A lot of options.
Anyway, you recorded those strings in a bunker. How did you get that idea? :grin: Not that I don't like that (I've had countless recording sessions in, let's say, weird makeshift studios), but it's definitely an unusual location.

Hey thanks! Means a lot to me! As for the bunker, it was my studio at the time. It was built in 1944, but by the city of Copenhagen, not the Germans as most think, as a bomb shelter. Of course, Copenhagen was never really bombed during the war, except a few raids by the allieds, but with the Red Army approaching from the East there was a real chance the city could become a battlefield in the final days of the war, so people in power thought it would be a good idea to build some bomb shelters. They're scattered across the entire city. At the beginning of the cold war they were all upgraded with sand air filters, when the big scare was chemical attacks from the USSR, and they were kept on standby all the way through the 80's. Then the city began renting them out to musicians. A friend of mine got one, and turned it into a studio. And I rented it from him (now I live in Hanoi, but I plan on going back every summer and record more stuff in the Bunker - unless I can get my new studio in Hanoi to sound as good as the Bunker).

It wasn't without challenges working down there. First off all there's no daylight, but far more problematic was the lack of running water and toilet facilities. Let's just say you had to plan your day carefully, and remain good friends with the cafe owners in the area. And in the winter it was freezing down there. I loved it though, it was my creative space for a year and a half! And of course Bunker Strings was born there, so when I moved back to Vietnam to be with my girlfriend I named my new business after the bunker. I do miss it and look forward to next summer where I will have at least a few weeks there.

IMG_0904 2.JPG

Last edited:
Hey thanks! Means a lot to me! As for the bunker, it was simply my studio at the time, so it was a question of "do what you can with what you have." It was built in 1944, but by the city of Copenhagen, not the Germans as most think, as a bomb shelter. Of course, Copenhagen was never really bombed during the war, except a few raids by the allieds, but with the Red Army approaching from the East there was a real chance the city could become a battlefield in the final days of the war, so people in power thought it would be a good idea to build some bomb shelters. They're scattered across the entire city. At the beginning of the cold war they were all upgraded with sand air filters, when the big scare was chemical attacks from the USSR, and they were kept on standby all the way through the 80's. Then the city began renting them out to musicians. A friend of mine got one, and turned it into a studio. And I rented it from him (now I live in Hanoi, but I plan on going back every summer and record more stuff in the Bunker - unless I can get my new studio in Hanoi to sound as good as the Bunker).

It wasn't without challenges working down there. First off all there's no daylight, but far more problematic was the lack of running water and toilet facilities. Let's just say you had to plan your day carefully, and remain good friends with the cafe owners in the area. And in the winter it was freezing down there. I loved it though, it was my creative space for a year and a half! And of course Bunker Strings was born there, so when I moved back to Vietnam to be with my girlfriend I named my new business after the bunker. I do miss it and look forward to next summer where I will have at least a few weeks there.

IMG_0904 2.JPG

Blimey — Strangelove Studios! Loving the strings, though — very well done, Nicolaj.

Last edited:
Hey thanks! Means a lot to me! As for the bunker, it was my studio at the time. It was built in 1944, but by the city of Copenhagen, not the Germans as most think, as a bomb shelter. Of course, Copenhagen was never really bombed during the war, except a few raids by the allieds, but with the Red Army approaching from the East there was a real chance the city could become a battlefield in the final days of the war, so people in power thought it would be a good idea to build some bomb shelters. They're scattered across the entire city. At the beginning of the cold war they were all upgraded with sand air filters, when the big scare was chemical attacks from the USSR, and they were kept on standby all the way through the 80's. Then the city began renting them out to musicians. A friend of mine got one, and turned it into a studio. And I rented it from him (now I live in Hanoi, but I plan on going back every summer and record more stuff in the Bunker - unless I can get my new studio in Hanoi to sound as good as the Bunker).

IMG_0904 2.JPG

Loving this library!

That is indeed a lovely and very creative demo @BackelundMusic! In other news I stumbled upon this the other day...don't know who made it, but I think owners of Bunker Strings will appreciate it. It certainly reminds me of how the drumstick col legnos were sampled...*

58384404_10155957044201423_559487823233679360_n.jpg

*) No instruments where harmed in the making of Bunker Strings!

A couple of new reviews by Sample Library Review and Chris Siu are up.

In an ever-growing market of string libraries, it is exciting to see a relatively new developer take a more experimental sampling approach in an attempt to capture original, unheard textures. In a business where composers are constantly striving to create and shape their original sound, Bunker Strings Vol. I does just that and absolutely delivers on its promises of a unique, innovative string sample library. A very cool library for any media composer looking to add some distinctive string textures and techniques to their palette!

https://www.samplelibraryreview.com/the-reviews/review-bunker-strings-vol-i-by-bunker-samples/

And Chris Siu has done an excellent video review:

To celebrate Halloween I created a little tutorial on how you can mix Bunker Strings and Spitfire’s excellent LCO library, to get some truly unique horror textures.

Incidentally, I’m also having a surprise Halloween Sale - until November 3rd, you can pick up Bunker Strings for just $39!

Top Bottom