Hoping there are "hidden" non-octave articulations in libraries like Iceni and Metropolis 1.

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Headlands, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Headlands

Headlands Active Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Hey all,

As the title says, in libraries like Iceni and Metropolis 1 there seem to be only octave articulations for the low strings, which is maddening for me because I often want low notes without an octave above them. Are there hidden articulations somewhere that are a single non-octave'd note?

If not, I'm wondering what the thought was to limit composers in this way with expensive libraries like these? Many other libraries (including others by Iceni-makers Spitfire) have options for octave or single note, but those two in particular don't have that (Metropolis has it for the high strings, but oddly not for the low strings). Hopefully I'm just missing something.

2. markleake

markleake Recovering sale addict

Nov 8, 2015
    Iceni has different mics to do this, one for basses, one for cellos, as well as the mix mics. This allows you to isolate which instruments you hear. The cellos are also recorded separately as left / right groups (no basses for those patches, from memory).

I think the walk-through videos explain this, so if you are unsure, just go watch them to see how all of that works.

3. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Active Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Great, thanks. Will definitely help with Metropolis.

4. Brian Nowak

Brian Nowak Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
    I wouldn't read into it so much. It's just that these libraries are "character" libraries. Ark 1 is a sledgehammer. It's not for making incredibly detailed music. It's about loud and aggressive music.

In powerful string writing, basses and cellos very frequently double at the octave.

Why would you be put off by octaved strings, but not by the fact that the library really doesn't go below mf? Or have separate string sections? Or not have legato articulations in any of the brass other than the 9 horns?

If you want a lot of detailed possibilities, these types of "all-in-wonder" libraries aren't really your cuppa, I'm afraid.

5. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Active Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Everyone will have things they want in different situations, of course. For powerful string writing an octave is often used indeed, but there are plenty of times for me that I don't want an octave in those situations, and I feel that even though it's a character library the flexibility should be given.

But yes, I'm finding that these character libraries do have plenty of limitations indeed. I do feel that they could be a little more flexible in some areas since the character sound is great but sometimes too limited in some cases and not usable because of that, even if one really likes the particular sound.

Anyway, onward! At least I can somewhat make Metropolis 1 work for these needs if I want that particular sound.

6. Brian Nowak

Brian Nowak Active Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Yeah and that's why I have dedicated string libraries. What the Arks do well they do astoundingly so. And while yes, they are limited, people still manage to make very good music with them.

zimm83 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Active Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Agreed! Of course they do, and of course I do!

I have dedicated string libraries as well, just would love to be able to use libraries like Ark in more ways when I need them, but c'est la vie.

Saxer likes this.