What's new

Hop on the DVINA train

charlieclouser

The mad Russian, Vlad from SOMA Instruments, makers of the Lyra and the amazing Pipe electronic instruments, has a new concept and he's wondering if he should bother putting it into production. It's a two-string, fretless violin, inspired by classic Hindu instruments, except that it uses a strong magnet to pick up vibrations from the strings and transmit them to a preamp - meaning the output is clean and clear and free from acoustic interference - ideal for recording and processing. He's wondering if he should bother putting it into production, and asks any interested parties to email him at [email protected] so that he can gauge interest. Expected price for the instrument and preamp is between 400 and 800 Euros, depending on quantities etc.

Check out the video below and send an email if it seems like something you'd like. I did, and I'm on board for sure.

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/01/29/-would-you-be-interested-in-this-instrument/

Also check out his really cool Pipe, which is a microphone-based synth+effects unit. At about $550 it's an amazing way to create everything from human beatbox rhythms to Ligeti-style choral clusters in real-time. I've got one on order. Perfect Circuit stocks the Soma stuff as well. Here's the video that sold me on The Pipe:

sostenuto

Big NKS Fan !
The mad Russian, Vlad from SOMA Instruments, makers of the Lyra and the amazing Pipe electronic instruments, has a new concept and he's wondering if he should bother putting it into production. ************

Check out the video below and send an email if it seems like something you'd like. I did, and I'm on board for sure.

https://sonicstate.com/news/2019/01/29/-would-you-be-interested-in-this-instrument/

Also check out his really cool Pipe, which is a microphone-based synth+effects unit. At about $550 it's an amazing way to create everything from human beatbox rhythms to Ligeti-style choral clusters in real-time. I've got one on order. Perfect Circuit stocks the Soma stuff as well. Here's the video that sold me on The Pipe:

Impressive Pipe video. Will do some serious checking ! :thumbsup:

( a bit concerned about possible affect on my currently healthy hairstyle )

ironbut

Holy S**t!
I'm not too sure about the Lyra but that Pipe demo is awesome!
Gotta drill down into this well.

OP
charlieclouser

charlieclouser

Yes, Vlad is really plumbing the depths and going places few other builders will go. His first instrument, the Lyra, is an amazing drone-scape creation station, but is a little inscrutable and is somewhere between a Jomox Resonator and a DX-7 but with no keyboard, MIDI, or CV - so it's... erm.... not for everyone, shall we say. Noise artists love it though.

The Pipe is more immediate gratification, and the Dvina seems even more down our alley.

I love that Vlad is doing what he's doing and feel it's worthwhile to support such adventures - and his instruments are priced reasonably - it's not Knifonium territory at all.

Wellllll, this is something I'd want to get and start to learn to play......

the price point also seems attainable.
<Although its a different instrument, but at some point I was (and still am) interested in learning and acquiring a nyckelharpa, but attaining one (at least with some decent quality) gets to around €2400,- and €3600,- or so. Not something you'd want to casually try out, because it's money just lying around>

This is affordable, and looks enjoyable to play, and(!) sounds very good.

But so that I get it correctly: you will need an amplification system, either directly in an amplifier, or into a recording system with monitoring right?

Anyway, I will send him my attentive interest

Thanks Charlie, for bringing it to our attention!

OP
charlieclouser

charlieclouser

But so that I get it correctly: you will need an amplification system, either directly in an amplifier, or into a recording system with monitoring right?
It appears that due to his weird pickup system he's invented, that for optimum signal it will require the special preamp that he will provide - presumably as a package deal. Maybe it will work without the preamp, but it sounds like his preamp will possibly have distortion / echo effects, and be fairly cheap, so I'd opt for the full package. But, yes, it's not acoustic at all - without plugging it into an amp or an input on your DAW it probably sounds about as loud and full as a mosquito.

I'm a big fan of the Soma Products. Vlad is a creative genius. I'm on the waiting list for the DVINA and the Pulsar 23. I feel impatient like a kid.

undoubtedly you will also received the notice that enough interest has been shown that it is going to be build.

for those who want to hop on.......you can also use it on you eurosynth racks, or other synths with cv gate....

Top Bottom