What's new

Home On The Ocean (BBC Symphony Orchestra)

Thanks, using staccato there is a good idea. Yeah, not much I can do on the legato transitions, there's only so much realism to expect from a sub-$1,000 library. There's work to be done in the scripting. But overall I am happy with the sound when it all comes together the right way.

In you experience, which libraries have the best realism and legato transitions?
Cinematic studio series for legato. Some of the CSS demos I heard made me worry for my string-playing friends. CSB is also really good. By far my favorite horn sound and unparalleled legato. You can get both pretty cheap due to the loyalty discount that applies to the second purchase with them.

The instrument volumes are kind of all over the place.

Woodwinds are a bit too loud, and much too close. The complete lack of ambience tends to make it feel un-natural, more than just dry. And that harp is blistering as well - just drop the volume of the harp to a natural level, (as well as the woodwinds volumes being reduced a little as well) then your soft part can be soft. You'll probably have to drop the CC1 a little on the woodwinds during that section to not bury the harp, but it'll have more emotional impact when you come in heavy with the strings after that section.

It's all about contrast! And composition wise it has the right contrast, but your mix tells a different story! Love the general emotions here, and voicings.

I like it! The silence between notes at the beginning is great. So many people are afraid of silence. I think adding ambience would help a lot, it is too dry. And a better balance of the instruments in this setting would go a long way but I like the composition. BBCSO sounds very good here. Nice.

You're very welcome young man!

I don't often listen to compositions here but I was pleasantly surprised to bend my ear to yours!

The trouble with the sophistication of sample instruments now is they generally veil a composers true ability (or lack of it!). On the rare occasion when I'm seeking out a specific VST and listen back to demos of it, 99 times out of 100 they are either compositionally generic or they are crowded with over grandiose production swamped with the latest library sounds. In the action movie world Heavyocity's DAMAGE must be the most overused bombastic percussion hybrid library! That's another negative nod towards all these libraries: one can be vulnerable to using sounds that everyone has heard ad infinitum! However the true culprit to such practices is the lack of quality base musical content in the compositions themselves.

You make some great points. It's easy to be fenced in by the limitations of VI libraries, while also feeling swamped by the vast amount of options. The creations that come out of that kind of situation are often unnatural, forced, and watered down. Anyways, I'm definitely digging BBCSO but I do see myself using it more as a compliment to other instruments, and vice versa. So I'm going to work some other sounds into this composition and see where it goes. :2thumbs:

Top Bottom