Hollywood Strings patch suggestions for template

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Anhtu, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Ihnoc

Ihnoc Senior Member

That is what I do for the Hollywood Brass yes and Strings or Winds if I were using them.

I've seen a number of threads you've started in relation to this and Expression Maps. Using Hollywood Strings as an example would be a good idea since the switching is, as you say, over patches. I would suggest you also experiment with making a completely different Expression Map for the KS patches in Hollywood Strings to know how the output from the map differs.

Very pertinent is that you have 4 columns and can define each unique entry in a column as attribute or direction. This is useful because there are certain articulations that are momentary (attribute) like staccato and others that encapsulate a phrase (direction) like legato. This way you cam program less changes with expression maps.

For example, try:
    • Make a Hollywood Strings instance with Staccato on channel 1 and a legato slur on channel 2
    • Create a new expression map for the track in Cubase and make 3 slots
    • For the first slot call it Staccato and set it to channel 1
    • Set the staccato symbol in column 1 and set that as Attribute in the lower right
    • Call the second slot Legato, set it to channel 2 and create a legato symbol in column 2. Ensure the legato articulation in the bottom right is set to Direction
    • Name the third slot Staccato + Legato, set it to channel 1 and add the staccato symbol to column 1 and legato to column 2
    • Write a quick part and you will notice the groups are not exclusive, so you can say the entire part is legato except for certain notes that are staccato
    A final note is that the top slot in an Expression Map is the default and is what is used when no other articulation is found within a midi part (or when Cubase first opens).

Apologies if I just explained something you already knew.

2. Geoff Grace

Geoff Grace Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Notice the visual resemblance of these letters to waves rolling in at a beach. These are supposed to relax you. Just say "ohm..." as you scroll through the patches to get in the zone for your writing.

A little known "fact:" EastWest was created to help introduce eastern meditation methods to the west. Notice your breathing as you load patches. Make sure you store your files on slow HD drives for the full, meditative effect as they gradually load...

Best,

Geoff

jononotbono and fixxer49 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Anhtu

Anhtu Senior Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Wow thanks a lot for the tips. I will definitely try it out.

Btw, are all your tracks deactivated on your Templates ?

4. Ihnoc

Ihnoc Senior Member

I pesonally use MIDI tracks and the instruments as rack instruments, rather than instrument tracks. There is no particular reason to go one way or the other except disabling - as far as I can tell you cannot disable a rack instrument. So no :)

Using an SSD as the sample drive, right now I run:
    • Spitfire Brass with one of the Jake Jackson microphones (just the solo instruments)
    • CSS with the mix mic
    • Berlin Woodwinds witth mix mic (everything except measured trills)
    • Berlin Brass mutes expansion (just the tree mic)
    • Rhapsody Orchestral Percussion (just the tree mic)
    • Kontakt factory harp and mallets etc
    Tops out at 25gb so I don't generally feel the need to disable. Worth noting the total RAM usage has gone down since I stopped using Vienna Ensemble Pro 6.

Just a hobbyist, not a professional like a lot of the cool people here.

5. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    As an example, this would be my typical bread-and-butter selection for the 1st violins that covers 99% of all composing needs.

Spicc
    Staccatissimo
    Stacc
    Marc Short

Pizz
    Col Legno
    Bartok Pizz

Detache (don't care about the finger position keyswitches)
    Long NV NV VB MV (dynamics and vibrato are both on CC1)
    Leg Slur + Port LT6 (dynamics and vibrato are both on CC1)

Trill HT WT
    Tremolo
    Measured Tremolo
    Repetitions

Slur Runs
    Spic Runs Smooth

6. ZenFaced

ZenFaced Senior Member

Feb 9, 2017
  7. Markus Kohlprath

Markus Kohlprath Senior Member

Mar 3, 2013
    So after extensive use we are facing an enlightning higher consciousness probably. I didn’t view it from this side I must admit.

8. boxheadboy50

boxheadboy50 Active Member

Apr 5, 2018
  9. jeremiahpena

jeremiahpena Senior Member

It's worth noting I've since added in the Detache and Playable Run patches to my template, since I found myself loading them up quite often. I also switched the sus patch to "Sus 9 RR 4th Pos" because I decided to set up the Input Transformer to convert the mod wheel to CC11 for the patches that use it, so that all of the articulations consistently use the mod wheel for dynamics. Then a quick control (which bypasses the transformer) is set to CC1 for vibrato.

transformer.PNG

Ihnoc likes this.
  10. Ihnoc

Ihnoc Senior Member

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just do this in Play after what is now 6 releases? You know, like every other sample player...

Still, top advice. I will try this myself since this is one of the reasons I don't use Hollywood Strings.

11. Ronny D. Ana

Ronny D. Ana Senior Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Vienna
    Assuming you mean "who use expression maps", yes I do so.

12. almo

almo Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Excellent. And very useeful. Thanks

13. Vadium

Vadium Senior Member

Jul 21, 2017
    What compensation delay values you are using for what large patches of Hollywood Strings?

14. almo

almo Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Araound 100-120 ms. Depends on the Songtempo or articulation... the Problem is, there is no General value. Even in the Manual, there is no Note about it...

15. Vadium

Vadium Senior Member

Jul 21, 2017
    yes.. I want to make a template with all different delays for havy articulations (as it made, for example, for CSS in some scripts) and free my mind from these digits)

Also one more idea for HS template - it is possible to collect all articulations (4 play instances) on one track with one list of keyswitches
    It possible to put 4 Play instances (in my case) into Plogue Bidule plugin and route incoming midi signal by CC between all them. It works, I has tested, even with pressed notes keeping from freeze, if routing changes between note-on and note-off.
    CC90 = 0 routed to first Play, CC90 = 1 routed to second play etc. It possible to route by sending PrCh, but if you are using Vepro VST3, PrCH messages are not able to go thru.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    Ihnoc likes this.
  16. almo

almo Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Yep.. it‘s a shame, that none of those conpanies, write anything about the Delay. And without this, none of the libraries is useable at all

17. Ihnoc

Ihnoc Senior Member

I have never heard of this plugin. Thanks!

I would challenge that. It makes it a lot more difficult to be sure (hell I even wrote a script for CSS because Alex documented it so well) but I have realised one of the keys to believeable performance is not quantizing so precisely that the difference between 100ms and 120ms matters on every note. Lot's of people have made great music with these libraries and don't conform to the grid as such.

Having said that, I totally agree that manufacturers should document the general offset in each articulation. Given how verbose the Hollywood series' manuals are, it would have been nice to get this...

18. almo

almo Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Yes.. and espacially on that high Price Level this librariy once had. I have the Diamond Version. When it came out, the Price was around of 1400€. When i bought it, it was 800. today you can get on a flash sale for 200 Euros..

19. Vadium

Vadium Senior Member

Jul 21, 2017
    yes.
    there is an answer of the EW techsupport crew about it:

Hey Vadim,

We don't have an exact delay value for the strings available - each articulation is slightly different and it's best to adjust the samples by ear after making sure you're using the proper articulation/velocity for the general tempo/rhythm of the line you want.

20. With Hollywood Strings, I feel it's a library that needs to be programmed live as opposed to notating and quantising....especially the legato and "ni" patches.