What's new

Hollywood orchestra opus edition and hollywood orchestrator

Would someone be so kind as to tell me the on-disk size of the Hollywood Opus Woodwinds Diamond? It didn't unpack everything, so I manually did the rest of it, but I still don't think it matches the size Installation Center said it was.
it looks like the new Opus samples are mixed with the old Play samples.

ew_ww.JPG

ew_ww_inst.JPG

Just got Opus and have a question. Let’s say I create a multi in an Opus instance, like trumpets, horns, and trombones and balance their individual volume levels to my liking. They all appear in the left panel however when I try to control the overall volume (of the three instruments in the multi) the master gain slider (in the PLAY tab) only controls the volume of the instrument selected (highlighted) in the left panel. And I see no way to “select all” so the master gain controls the overall volume of my multi, while maintaining my set balance. What am I doing wrong?

hi.. I've just got my new opus diamond... and I noticed, that they finally made keyswitch instruments for multiple articulations...But I was wondering, if ist possible to modify those instruments and change articulations?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-23 um 10.20.38.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-23 um 10.20.38.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 12
hi.. I've just got my new opus diamond... and I noticed, that they finally made keyswitch instruments for multiple articulations...But I was wondering, if ist possible to modify those instruments and change articulations?
Yeah, you can turn them on or off with the switch and choose keyswitch or cc too..

but how? sich on and off, I can see.. but I wanna build my own instruments..for example, I wanna change instruments from max to lite

I don't think you can change from max to lite..
That's pretty much your selection..load the ones you want, unload the others, and choose their keyswitches..

that's a shame.. because, it gives the user so much possibilities.. but there must be a way.. the articulations in the KS instruments by ART conductor differentiate from the ones from east west and opus offers an export function to logic articulation maps....

Just got Opus and have a question. Let’s say I create a multi in an Opus instance, like trumpets, horns, and trombones and balance their individual volume levels to my liking. They all appear in the left panel however when I try to control the overall volume (of the three instruments in the multi) the master gain slider (in the PLAY tab) only controls the volume of the instrument selected (highlighted) in the left panel. And I see no way to “select all” so the master gain controls the overall volume of my multi, while maintaining my set balance. What am I doing wrong?
I just had an online chat with EW. He confirmed that there is no way to control the overall volume of a multi or Orchestrator patch inside the Opus engine. You have to do that inside your DAW with track volume. I'm used to balancing instruments in templates by using each instrument's own master volume, leaving my DAW (Logic) volume slider in the mixer set to zero, until I begin mixing. I'll just have to do that differently with Opus multis.

Q. Do you tend to use the String Sustains for your String Harmony ? If not, do you ever use them ? if Yes, for what ?

I'm asking because these days everyone seems to use Legatos for the Strings instead of the sustains. Just curious, and do you think Developers are expecting us to use these Sustains ? or just throwing them in as a bonus ?

I find using String Sustains not very convincing, and creates a big mush of sound, with little definition compared to using Singe Legato lines to create the harmonic bed for a composition. Especially given the Sustain transition sound clunky/disconnected from one chord to the next, and the sound of too many strings playing, i.e. if you happen to play a triad using the First Violins. ..etc. sounds unrealistic.

I have posted a thread on this topic a little while ago. Please feel free to voice your opinion about String Sustain articulations.

Here is the link to the thread : https://vi-control.net/community/th...-for-your-strings-chordal-arrangement.111051/

Thanks.
I feel the same way, and also for brass and woods. I'd never pick a "sustain" artic unless I want a very particular sound (eg sordino) that's not covered in the legato patch. It's probably too cynical to suggest that sustain patches are mainly for people who want to play piano chords for their orchestral sections. ;)

I just had an online chat with EW. He confirmed that there is no way to control the overall volume of a multi or Orchestrator patch inside the Opus engine. You have to do that inside your DAW with track volume. I'm used to balancing instruments in templates by using each instrument's own master volume, leaving my DAW (Logic) volume slider in the mixer set to zero, until I begin mixing. I'll just have to do that differently with Opus multis.
The "proper" way is to start by using the 'pre-gain' to do preliminary balancing, and not the channel fader, which is at the end of the signal path.

The signal flow in a DAW mixing console is derived from how hardware mixing consoles work. So by default, the signal (in this case, the output from the VST) hits the pre-gain first, then the inserts and sends and lastly, the channel fader.

I don't know how this is setup in Logic, but in Cubase, there is a rack section labeled "PRE" at the start of every channel that has pre-filters and pre-gain.

I don't think you can change from max to lite..
That's pretty much your selection..load the ones you want, unload the others, and choose their keyswitches..
I just had a great Chat with the support:

Hey Alex,
The Keyswitch patch has the full version of any articulation in it that you can use in it and modify
that
if you want to use the lite versions currently you'd have to make a custom keyswitch in the
perform tab
Alex 20:12
But how? Is there any instruction about that?
Michael 20:13
You'd load up any number of articulations you want as separate instruments
then switch tothe perform tab
and on the 'zones' you can edit there to be a keyswitch that activates which instrument you send
on
Alex 20:18
Ahhh.…. I see…I have to check this out tomorrow morning………. It seems to make sense.lot's of
people would be happy to know this.. this concept is well known from vsl
Michael 20:18
Certainly - we need to definitely make a video tutorial in how to do that

I just subscribed to Composer Cloud X a couple of days ago (after owning the Play Versions of Brass and Percussions) for full HO Opus. And wow!... I can load 200 instances of Opus simultaneously in seconds!!! This is absolutely incredible! Play was a pain to load and crashed my sessions a couple of times. With Opus? No hiccups, instant on and incredible sound! I'm on :)

No, this is not correct (although he is a FANTASTIC composer, and the template is super solid). I have a template on that site, but I have yet to find the time to update it to Opus. Soon...
Hi Ryan, do you have a Logic template with mix settings available and if so on which site?? thanks

Hi Ryan, do you have a Logic template with mix settings available and if so on which site?? thanks
I do, but the template is still using the Play engine. You can either wait until I have time to update the template, or you can replace the instances of Play with their Opus counterparts yourself as the session at least still has all the mix settings. That said, I'd wait; I'll probably end up making more changes than just switching out Play for Opus.

I just subscribed to Composer Cloud X a couple of days ago (after owning the Play Versions of Brass and Percussions) for full HO Opus. And wow!... I can load 200 instances of Opus simultaneously in seconds!!! This is absolutely incredible! Play was a pain to load and crashed my sessions a couple of times. With Opus? No hiccups, instant on and incredible sound! I'm on :)
nice - I'm finding Opus to be one of my better investments in a long while.

Top Bottom