What's new

Hollywood Brass + CB or CSB?

it does sound like a pad ..

for melody-lines etc. I agree of course - dont turn off legato .. But then there are these ensemble patches which are so nice for sketching and choral-writing .. but these sounds so washy when played polyphonic
Is it just the sound of the room? Maybe post an example audio or video file?

it is the sound of the room - I'm just surprised that the tail is not controllable by tweaking release - which is unlike HWB in Play-engine. Tweaking the release down to 0 in CSB cuts the sample away of course (when releasing a key) but leaves the room/release-tail untouched .. that sounds pretty weird

CSB sounds beautiful - no question. But as constaneum was saying - dont use legato off .. it just makes the ensemble patch a bit redundant for me (didnt want to say useless :P)

Last edited:
it is the sound of the room - I'm just surprised that the tail is not controllable by tweaking release - which is unlike HWB in Play-engine. Tweaking the release down to 0 in CSB cuts the sample away of course (when releasing a key) but leaves the room/release-tail untouched .. that sounds pretty weird

CSB sounds beautiful - no question. But as constaneum was saying - dont use legato off .. it just makes the ensemble patch a bit redundant for me (didnt want to say useless :P)

Not useless....just not my taste.....if i wanna use ensemble patch for the chord, i'll use other libraries. It's definitely not the strength of cinematic series.

sorry for my confusion - may I ask again:

in the attached mp3 I played a little phrase with 1. Hollywood Brass and 2. CSB ..

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong here. CSB (4 horns marcato with overlay) sounds like in a washing machine .. this is unusable! How would I be able to play these kind of lines/chords?

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/horns-mp3.20756/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• horns.mp3
    737.1 KB · Views: 134

in the attached mp3 I played a little phrase with 1. Hollywood Brass and 2. CSB ..

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong here. CSB (4 horns marcato with overlay) sounds like in a washing machine .. this is unusable! How would I be able to play these kind of lines/chords?

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/horns-mp3.20756/][/AUDIOPLUS]
What patch exactly and articulation are you using here for CSB?
Ooops you mentioned it above :sleep:

4 horns marcato patch with rep. overlay - mix mics

does that sound expected?

I like CSB overall but never ever turn off legato for chords. That's what I've experienced before. Sane goes with CSS , CS2 and CSSS. The releases just dont sound right. For this context, Hollywood Brass performs better. Cinebrass too.

I think you really need to keyswitch to the shorts for this faster playing.
Like this:

Paaaa___Paaaa___pam___ta___pam___ta___paaaa
Marc_____________stac____rep___stac___rep___marc/sfz

Maybe also use the solo horn instead. Or a combi.

damn! .. big bummer

I know, we had that discussion before, but now I am hearing it first hand ..

4 horns marcato patch with rep. overlay - mix mics

does that sound expected?
CSB has rather long release tails. That's for sure.

Ah. This works pretty well if you know how to do it:
The marcato patch is kind of special. It uses modwheel + velocity for control.
On the marcato patch you need to pull the modwheel all the way down to zero for the short notes in between. Then for the long notes you can quickly put it back where you want it.
You must be very agile with the modwheel when you want to play your phrase on the marcato patch alone.

The other alternative would be using keyswitch to the staccato articulation.

I like CSB overall but never ever turn off legato for chords. That's what I've experienced before. Sane goes with CSS , CS2 and CSSS. The releases just dont sound right. For this context, Hollywood Brass performs better. Cinebrass too.
The sustains have very long releases indeed. It helps to reduce the release length on the righthand side of the GUI when legato is disabled. But I agree, the sustains with disabled legato is not where the cinematic studio series shines.

wouldnt it be nice to get control back of the release samples in CSS and CSB ? In CS2 you could deactivate the release samples - in Play engine you can deactivate them or tweak their volume

maybe worth asking Alex :)

Wow.. that does sound convincing. Ok, I guess thats the way to go.

I have the korg nano controller and mapped all the CC58 values to keys. Just didnt expect to use it so heavily.

The first chord in your example still sounds too wet for my liking but the phrase in its complete shape sounds really nice. Thanks for doing it.

Last edited:
Its not a lot of work. Especially not when using expression maps (if you have Cubase)

Rico
Did you map to CC58 or the keyswitches in your expression map? I was just reading when setting to CC Cubase disables regular MIDI input for these values - meaning I can not control CC58 with my controller anymore I guess?

Did you map to CC58 or the keyswitches in your expression map? I was just reading when setting to CC Cubase disables regular MIDI input for these values - meaning I can not control CC58 with my controller anymore I guess?
I used expression. Because then you can still use the "keyswitch" for trying out articulations. If you use keyswitches for articulation mapping, they dont work anymore.

It depends if you will be getting both Cinebrass libraries. For example, I have Hollywood Brass, Cinebrass core and CSB. out of the ones I have, I would choose CSB and Hollywood Brass simply because Cinebrass Core lacks some things Hollywood Brass has.

I also think the difference in sound between CSB and Hollywood Brass is greater than CSB and Cinebrass. I also think Hollywood brass has really good amount of articulations that become useful when adding in extra detail and I find the marcato patches to be the most useful out of all my brass libraries.

Top Bottom