What's new

Hobbyists: what is your day (or night) job?

GdT

Pensioner !!!
Retired IT professional. (Very useful skills for music production.) Worked assignemnts in over 65 large corporations and rubbed shoulders with lots of nerds and good few musicians!
And I have seen a good few IT mess ups in my time. As we used to say "To err is human but to really mess up you need a big computer"!
Great to have lots of time and to be able to please myself.

Last edited:

Maurenon

Pensioner !!!
Retired IT professional. (Very useful skills for music production.) Worked assignemnts in over 65 large corporations and rubbed shoulders with lots of nerds and good few musicians!
And I have seen a good few IT mess ups in my time. As we used to say "To err is human but to really mess up you need a big computer"!
Great to have lots of time and to be able to please myself.
And now for something completely different....(cue the Monty Python fanfare) Me and my girlfriend run an online business from our home. We sell jewlery and mobile cases mostly through larger marketplace platforms. We decided around 2012 that we'd had enough of the busy city life and that we wanted to quite literally escape to the country. Which we did the following year! :thumbsup: So now we run our business from our early 19th century house located on a small hill overlooking meadows and pastures. A very different life indeed.

To get a little more money (the business goes quite well, but if we were to live off only that income things would be a bit too spartan) I also work with children and adults who has autism/aspberger/adhd/learning disabilities at schools and assisted living homes. This is something I had never done before we left the city, and judging by the response from the children it seems I'm a natural at this kind of job. It's also very rewarding when you see that you're actually reaching a person and that they appreciate what you're trying to do for them.:)

As a side note, for an online retailer, a pandemic where people are forced to stay indoors isn't exactly bad for business; we've had record sales this christmas!

Bruhelius

Composer | Musician | Scientist
I'm an astrobiologist. I spend my days waiting for the phone to ring.

Nah not really. But I did know someone who's mother worked at NASA and did, in fact, have exactly that job title. So if you ever think you're having a hard time achieving anything as a musician just remember that there's an astrobiologist out there fighting waaaay longer odds than you.

rgames
I thought they found phosphine in Venus' atmosphere...maybe it was a prank call afterall ;)

Evans

Guitarist who likes orchestral VIs
While I technically get paid for some work with virtual instruments (and I record guitar, though that's dropped significantly over the past year), I primarily consider myself a hobbyist. Vastly so. In the least, about 3/4 of the libraries I've picked up over the years are purely for personal enjoyment, with no expectation of using them professionally (see: Audiobro Genesis, which I love).

I am yet another person in tech, working as a lead product manager for a software company. I don't manage anyone directly, but am responsible for our highest revenue product's roadmap and success (beyond, of course, the strategic direction that my superiors get from their superiors, and so on... so, basically, I have no real authority).

I mostly spend my days in meetings, either with unhappy customers or with my peers in engineering management. I prefer to remain anonymous online, but if you live in the UK, one of my products (not the highest revenue one) is darn near a household name and has pretty wide recognition in the US.

Last edited:
Top Bottom