What's new

**HISE Video Tutorials**

d.healey

This is a custom title
Hello,

If you're interested in creating your own VST instrument or FX plugins then HISE is a platform you should really consider using.

I've been planning on releasing a series of detailed video tutorials for working in HISE. I was originally going to do this in the same way I did for my Kontakt tutorials - record a bunch of classes and sell them through my website - but that format is quite restrictive and doesn't allow me to easily update the classes with fresh information.

So what I've decided to do is release one detailed video each month, covering some HISE/sampling related topic. These videos will eventually be released free of charge on YouTube so no-one will miss out.

If you would like early access to the videos (at least one month before they're released on YouTube) you can support me on Patreon for as little as $1 per month. If you're not familiar with Patreon it's a way to support content creators directly via a monthly subscription.

In addition to the main tutorials I'll be releasing shorter videos, audio files, SFZs, and other sampling related stuff that will be available at $5 and $10 tiers.

Here's my Patreon page - https://www.patreon.com/davidhealey

I've already added a few pieces of content for each tier. The first monthly tutorial is scheduled to be released on June 1st at 6PM BST.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Awesome David and became a Patron as you release so much great and useful content and that should be supported. I learned so much from your Kontakt course and already had my eye on HISE and good moment to get into it and looking forward to learn more from you!

July's video has now been made available to my patrons. It's a 1.5 hour introduction to HISE scripting. Here are the topics that I discuss:
  • Callbacks
  • Variables
  • Data types
  • Arrays
  • Object
  • Operators
  • If/logical operator
  • Ternary operator
  • Else if
  • Switch statement
  • For loop
  • For in loop
  • While loop
  • Functions

September's video - Git for HISE developers - is now live on Patreon.

And June's video (Scripting 101) is now available for free on YouTube

October's video is now available to my Patreon supports. The much requested topic is paint routines/vector graphics. These are tools in HISE that allow you to design complete interactive GUIs without needing to use any external graphics files (although you can of course use both).

Peek 2019-09-25 00-12.gif

Thank you for doing this. I've been thinking a bit about making an instrument or FX plugin, mostly for fun. HISE seems like a rather impressive project and a good place to start.

Thanks for doing these tutorials, much appreciated.
Is it still not possible to release commercially without express permission from the guy who heads up HISE development, or do you still have to email him and ask on a case-by-case basis?

I will try to reach out to the HISE team ask about commercial use. JUCE has a very clear and fair stated licensing policy, whereas Hise seems to require individual arrangement.

Sure you can release "commercially" without anyone's permission (I do). You only need a "commercial" license to release proprietary (closed source) products.

If I end up creating something of commercial value, I would just like to know possible licensing costs before I begin. It does affect which platform I choose for my initial prototypes.

Sure you can release "commercially" without anyone's permission (I do). You only need a "commercial" license to release proprietary (closed source) products.
Oh ok, I think I remember seeing a thread in the past about this before now you remind me. With HISE you can release commercially as long as you make freely available to the public the samples you used for anyone to use themselves.
I wonder though: it is possible [commercially] to make a MIDI manipulation effect plugin with HISE, and is it possible to make an effects plugin (e.g. a saturator) with HISE?

Under the terms of the GNU GPL you are only required to provide source code and samples to the people you provide the compiled binary to, you don't have to make them publicly available.

MIDI manipulation isn't possible at the moment because HISE doesn't support MIDI out - but it's on Christoph's to do list. You should be able to make a saturator with the latest version.

If you're interested in creating your own VST instrument or FX plugins then HISE is a platform you should really consider using.
Do you mean to say that a project done in HISE could be distributed as a VST, even to users who don't have HISE installed on their computer ?

Do you mean to say that a project done in HISE could be distributed as a VST, even to users who don't have HISE installed on their computer ?
Correct. HISE is a development tool not a delivery format. You can export projects from it as a standalone application, VST FX, VSTi, AU, or AAX. AAX requires an Avid developer account and pace registration.

JFK! What am I still doing with Kontakt ???
(People need to pay for the FULL version first just so they can then buy my instruments!)

Ok, after the current project, I'm done with K, and off to H.

Last edited:
Top Bottom