Hi Ram patches in Heacyocity Damage, Master Sessions etc

Discussion in 'KONTAKT: Sampling, Programming & Scripting' started by Transients, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:30 AM.

Tags:
  1. Transients

Transients New Member

May 2, 2018
    Norway
    Anybody knows what the hi ram patches mean? I couldnt find any information in the manual..

2. geronimo

geronimo Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    Transients

Transients New Member

May 2, 2018
    Norway
    Why use the HI RAM patch using 261.74MB when you have the same patch with only 12.46MB ram usage?

4. P.N.

P.N. Active Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Because the Hi RAM patch automatically downloads more RAM from the internet into your computer.
    For free.
    ... sorry.

Seriously now, "low RAM" or "low CPU" patches are somewhat impaired in comparison to the "full" or "high", patches.

I don't own the products you're referencing, but in the case of alternate RAM patches, the Low RAM patch normally means one or several of the following sacrifices to save RAM:

- Less dynamics (velocity) layers;
    - Less round-robins;
    - Less keyswitches;
    - Lower bit and/or sample rate;

None of the above means that the Low RAM patches are automatically bad because it depends on what the end goal for the patch is (in may not make a huge difference in some patches).
    Still, the option is there for users who need to save RAM and/or also prefer faster loading times.

Low CPU patches are a little trickier to define as they're less common and can depend on a whole different range of "sacrifices".

Cheers.

5. jtnyc

jtnyc Senior Member

Mar 5, 2013
    I'm pretty sure the difference is that the high ram versions load all the samples into ram, and the regular patches stream the samples like many libraries do. I may be wrong, but I think that's it. I compared a regular and high ram patch and from the looks of the mapping editors, they are using the same amount of velocity layers and rr's, and they sound and feel the same.

6. P.N.

P.N. Active Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Could be. A sampler and a DFD version of the patches.

The methods i mentioned above are also used, but this will depend on the developer so i can't say for sure about the products referenced by the OP.

7. OP
    OP
    Transients

Transients New Member

May 2, 2018
    Norway
    Thanks for explaining guys. Reason for asking is that i am making some kontakt presets in Studio One. So i thought i had to find out which of the patches i should save as presets. I looked into the manual, not one word about the HI RAM patches. And after an hour googling i had to give up. Couldnt find an accurate description of these patches.

8. geronimo

geronimo Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    And by contacting the publisher (Heavyocity) ?