What's new

Hi from New Zealand / germany

borisb2

100 posts already and I didn't introduce myself. :)

Hello, I'm born and raised in germany. I improved and played on piano since I was a little kid, played in various bands (rock, pop, top40) and later clarinet in the high-school orchestra. Father conducted symphony orchestra, mother conducted various (local) choirs. After school I wanted to dive into audio engineering to "combine" that with making music, but eventually graduated in electrical engineering. After working in a music shop and meeting enough DJs I dived in starting my own studio - producing mostly EDM music (pop-dance, techno, house) on Akai samplers and Logic Audio on Windows (!) :P . That went fairly well for 6 years, including a few billboard chart entries in germany and several compilations. In 2001 napster and ringtones hit the market and everything changed - it became tougher. I lost interest in making music for frog-ringtones or fake female singer for dance projects .. and gained more and more interest in visual effects. So I changed gears.

15 years later, now working in New Zealand for Peter Jacksons weta digital, doing FX-simulations (mostly water) for movies - suddenly the passion for music comes back - this time focused on orchestral composing as it always should have been (late nineties people were already saying I should leave the dance industry - but I hesitated.. contacts to HZ were there - but I hesitated)

Long story short. I feel I'm learning again a lot .. I could warm up old contacts to record companies or studios .. but I'm more keen to explore new contacts. At this point I'm not sure if I will change gears again and coming back to music full time - we shall see :) (any suggestions welcome of course)

Happy to be here for now ..

Last edited:

D Halgren

100 posts already and I didn't introduce myself. :)

Hello, I'm born and raised in germany. I improved and played on piano since I was a little kid, played in various bands (rock, pop, top40) and later clarinet in the high-school orchestra. Father conducted symphony orchestra, mother conducted various (local) choirs. After school I wanted to dive into audio engineering to "combine" that with making music, but eventually graduated in electrical engineering. After working in a music shop and meeting enough DJs I dived in starting my own studio - producing mostly EDM music (pop-dance, techno, house) on Akai samplers and Logic Audio on Windows (!) :P . That went fairly well for 6 years, including a few billboard chart entries in germany and several compilations. In 2001 napster and ringtones hit the market and everything changed - it became tougher. I lost interest in making music for frog-ringtones or fake female singer for dance projects .. and gained more and more interest in visual effects. So I changed gears.

15 years later, now working in New Zealand for Peter Jacksons weta digital, doing FX-simulations (mostly water) for movies - suddenly the passion for music comes back - this time focused on orchestral composing as it always should have been (late nineties people were already saying I should leave the dance industry - but I hesitated.. contacts to HZ were there - but I hesitated)

Long story short. I feel I'm learning again a lot .. I could warm up old contacts to record companies or studios .. but I'm more keen to explore new contacts. At this point I'm not sure if will change gears again and coming back to music full time - we shall see :)

Happy to be here for now ..
Welcome, what a cool life! I'm interested in your work with Weta. Did you get a degree to work in that field? What type of software do you use there? How did you get that job, was it a portfolio, or previous credits/work? Cheers!

OP
B

borisb2

Did you get a degree to work in that field?
there are a lot of film-schools where you can dive (and usually start) into visual effects these days. When I started it was entirely based on self teaching .. made my way through freelancing in germany mostly for commercials and at some point took on first contracts for bigger companies, first in london, later in vancouver (vfx for big movies usually goes where the best tax-subsidies are)

What type of software do you use there
using mostly houdini (sidefx) and here at weta a lot of proprietary software as well - I started with maya though

Last edited:

chillbot

Sock Muppet
Just got back from NZ, lovely place. So I know that you are a day in the future, you're probably good at "sorting things out", and how about those pineapple lumps?

OP
B

borisb2

Just got back from NZ, lovely place. So I know that you are a day in the future, you're probably good at "sorting things out", and how about those pineapple lumps?
haha .. I never tried pineapple lumps yet .. should I?

been here on a job or holidays?

Last edited:
Top Bottom