What's new

Here is a Logic template for Spitfire Abbey Road One: Orchestral Essentials

Justin L. Franks

This is a Logic Pro template for Spitfire Audio's Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations sample library. It is similar to the template provided by Spitfire for their BBCSO libraries. It is attached to this post as a .zip file, and is also available on Github. It is distributed under the GPL v3 license, so you are free to use and modify it however you want.

IMPORTANT: All of the instances of the AR1 plugin in this template are loading a user preset which only includes the specific articulations which are used. Each of these presets are included with the template. You just need to copy the 'user' folder into the 'Templates' folder of your copy of AR1. If you have created some of your own presets before, then the 'Templates/user' folder already exists in your copy of AR1, so just copy the contents of the 'user' folder into the 'Templates/user' folder.

Each category of instruments (Full orchestra, Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion) has its own track stack, with three busses for different types of articulation:

Full orchestra: Longs, shorts, swells
Strings: Longs, shorts, pizzicato + tremolo
Brass: Longs, shorts, swells
Woods: Longs, shorts, swells
Percussion: Drums, metals, tuned

Each section available in the library (high strings, horns, low woods, etc.) has three tracks, corresponding to each of those busses. Percussion has individual tracks for each instrument (bass drum, suspended cymbals, glockenspiel, etc.).

Only the default Mix 1 mic is used for all instrument tracks.

There is also a reverb send for each track stack. I use R4 for reverb, but changed this to the Chroma reverb included with Logic for compatibility. All of the reverb sends are turned on, with just a touch of reverb added. Long articulations have the highest amount of reverb, followed by swells, with short articulations having the least reverb.

Each track also has a Gain plugin added for balancing. I only did a very quick and rough balancing, to the neighborhood of -12 dB (and peaking up to around -6 dB depending on the instrument) for three or four simultaneous notes played at maximum dynamics / velocity. This *will* need adjustment to your own preferences, but should give a decent starting point.

The routing is as follows:

Section articulation type(s) ==> Full section articulation type(s) ==> Full section ==> Full mix

So, for the low string longs, it is Low strings longs ==> Strings longs ==> Strings ==> Full mix.

Bussing

Bus 10: Full orchestra
Bus 20: Strings
Bus 30: Brass
Bus 40: Woodwinds
Bus 50: Percussion
Bus 250: Full Mix

Busses X1-X4: Articulation type(s).
Bus X1: Longs (for Percussion: Drums)
Bus X2: Shorts (for Percussion: Metals)
Bus X3: Swells (for Strings: Pizzicato & Tremolo, and for Percussion: Tuned)
Bus X4: unused

(Bus 11 for Full Orchestra Longs, Bus 42 for Woods Shorts, Bus 53 for Tuned Percussion, etc.)

Busses X5-X9: Effects sends
Bus X5: Reverb
Busses X6-X9: unused

(Bus 25 for Strings Reverb, Bus 35 for Brass Reverb, and so forth. You can use the X6-X9 busses for any additional effects sends for each track stack.)

Attachments

• Abbey Road ONE Template v1.0.1.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

el-bo

Senior Moment
Interesting! I don't own AROOF, but I do own logic. And seeing as I have very little clue about orchestral templates, this might be worth trying to decipher/reverse-engineer and apply to other libraries. Is there something particular about the way this is set up that would not function well for other libraries, assuming that the same conventions of stacking and routing were followed?

Cheers!

OP
J

Justin L. Franks

Interesting! I don't own AROOF, but I do own logic. And seeing as I have very little clue about orchestral templates, this might be worth trying to decipher/reverse-engineer and apply to other libraries. Is there something particular about the way this is set up that would not function well for other libraries, assuming that the same conventions of stacking and routing were followed?

Cheers!
Sure, it's a pretty simple setup which can work with any library. What libraries do you have? I'm working on a similar template for SSO + Albion ONE + a few others too.

el-bo

Senior Moment
Sure, it's a pretty simple setup which can work with any library. What libraries do you have? I'm working on a similar template for SSO + Albion ONE + a few others too.
Thanks!

For orchestral stuff, I have access to:

Logic/Garageband Orchestral packages
Amadeus Symphony Orchestra
Kontakt Factory Library Orchestral package
BBCSO Discover
Albion V - Tundra
8Dio Anthology/Adagio
A few bits and pieces e.g 8Dio Brass try-pack, Majestic Horn, Berlin Inspire Brass ensemble, SF Labs etc. etc.

Would like to create a Master orchestral template that starts off with most of this included, with the intention of gradually navigating a workable pathway through them all. Also plan to do a template with Tundra, which I will then bolster with synth and more ambient elements. So if you have a Tundra template in mind, that'd definitely be useful. Will you be selling your templates?

With regard to the all-inclusive template, I'm currently leaning towards the idea of stacking modular groups, by instrument rather than by library. That way, I can very quickly audition the alternatives by moving a recorded MIDI pattern up & down the various options.

As this will be my first orchestral template (I have made some moves with SF's Discover template), the biggest thing for me is to see how an example of routings, though of course they'd need adapting to my plan.

mozartfb

This is a Logic Pro template for Spitfire Audio's Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations sample library. It is similar to the template provided by Spitfire for their BBCSO libraries. It is attached to this post as a .zip file, and is also available on Github. It is distributed under the GPL v3 license, so you are free to use and modify it however you want.

IMPORTANT: All of the instances of the AR1 plugin in this template are loading a user preset which only includes the specific articulations which are used. Each of these presets are included with the template. You just need to copy the 'user' folder into the 'Templates' folder of your copy of AR1. If you have created some of your own presets before, then the 'Templates/user' folder already exists in your copy of AR1, so just copy the contents of the 'user' folder into the 'Templates/user' folder.

Each category of instruments (Full orchestra, Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion) has its own track stack, with three busses for different types of articulation:

Each section available in the library (high strings, horns, low woods, etc.) has three tracks, corresponding to each of those busses. Percussion has individual tracks for each instrument (bass drum, suspended cymbals, glockenspiel, etc.).

There is also a reverb send for each track stack. I use R4 for reverb, but changed this to the Chroma reverb included with Logic for compatibility. All of the reverb sends are turned on, with just a touch of reverb added. Long articulations have the highest amount of reverb, followed by swells, with short articulations having the least reverb.

Each track also has a Gain plugin added for balancing. I only did a very quick and rough balancing, to the neighborhood of -12 dB (and peaking up to around -6 dB depending on the instrument) for three or four simultaneous notes played at maximum dynamics / velocity. This *will* need adjustment to your own preferences, but should give a decent starting point.

Section articulation type(s) ==> Full section articulation type(s) ==> Full section ==> Full mix

So, for the low string longs, it is Low strings longs ==> Strings longs ==> Strings ==> Full mix.

Bussing

(Bus 11 for Full Orchestra Longs, Bus 42 for Woods Shorts, Bus 53 for Tuned Percussion, etc.)

(Bus 25 for Strings Reverb, Bus 35 for Brass Reverb, and so forth. You can use the X6-X9 busses for any additional effects sends for each track stack.)
Saved me lots of time. Thank you for the template.

Cheers.

-Kaan

el-bo

Senior Moment
I realise you probably ignored my response to your question because you perhaps thought that I was hoping you'd make templates for the disparate mess of low-budget libraries I have. In fact, I was just answering your question.

What i was really looking for, in your templates, were some ideas that i might be able to use to mix and match the libraries I have more effectively. The only crossover we might have is ownership of Tundra, in which case I'd certainly be interested in a template that focused on that, solely...even if you charged for it.

Cheers :2thumbs:

ncur7

Thanks!

For orchestral stuff, I have access to:

Logic/Garageband Orchestral packages
Amadeus Symphony Orchestra
Kontakt Factory Library Orchestral package
BBCSO Discover
Albion V - Tundra
8Dio Anthology/Adagio
A few bits and pieces e.g 8Dio Brass try-pack, Majestic Horn, Berlin Inspire Brass ensemble, SF Labs etc. etc.

Would like to create a Master orchestral template that starts off with most of this included, with the intention of gradually navigating a workable pathway through them all. Also plan to do a template with Tundra, which I will then bolster with synth and more ambient elements. So if you have a Tundra template in mind, that'd definitely be useful. Will you be selling your templates?

With regard to the all-inclusive template, I'm currently leaning towards the idea of stacking modular groups, by instrument rather than by library. That way, I can very quickly audition the alternatives by moving a recorded MIDI pattern up & down the various options.

As this will be my first orchestral template (I have made some moves with SF's Discover template), the biggest thing for me is to see how an example of routings, though of course they'd need adapting to my plan.

Bussing

Bussing

Hey Justin. Thanks a million. has saved me a lot of time. Very kind of you to do that. Regards

Top Bottom