What's new

Helpful Feature? - Ability To Maintain Both Functional and Detailed Track Names

DaddyO

I always vacillate regarding track names when setting up a template or a project.

For simplicity's sake I like names like Flute 1, Flute 2, etc. But for reference' sake I like names that describe in some sort of shorthand the particular library, instrument, optional library settings, etc. of the VST assigned to that track. For example, "syz f Flute 1 xf-sus" tells me my track is assigned to the VelXF-sus factory preset for Synchron-ized Flute 1. One gives me the "function" of the track within the project, the other gives me the detail I need. One gives me an uncluttered visual, the other gives me crucial information.

(Edited to add: There might even be times where I want to use a library's Flute 2 as my functional Flute 1.)

Granted the detail is always available with a click or two and turning my attention elsewhere in the DAW or VST window, but I want my cake and I want to eat it too, all in the same general place. DAW work already requires enough endless rapid attention shifting to various details about the work at hand. If I'm giving my attention to the overall work, the function name suffices, but if I'm engaging in work on the track itself I'm giving it to the detail.

Perhaps a DAW could incorporate functional names in single line view but show both in multi-line view. I don't know how best to implement it, but I'd sure appreciate some such capability, getting the best of both worlds as needed in one visual location, the track list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom