What's new

Help with my new Cubase 10+VEPro template

Get rid of VEP in lieu of a disabled track template and save yourself boatloads of stress and unnecessary confusion...
Why does it have to be one or the other? I'm building a Cubase template that has both VE Pro tracks and Cubase disabled tracks. If I had a slave or multiple slaves I would go all VE Pro.

Why does it have to be one or the other? I'm building a Cubase template that has both VE Pro tracks and Cubase disabled tracks. If I had a slave or multiple slaves I would go all VE Pro.
Well for me it means not having to mess around with midi tracks whatsoever and having separate audio and midi tracks for every single instrument. Having a clean mixer without millions of sends coming back from VEP. Being able to automate my instrument track instead of finding the audio return and automating that. Too much complexity for my blood, I'm a simple man...

Well for me it means not having to mess around with midi tracks whatsoever and having separate audio and midi tracks for every single instrument. Having a clean mixer without millions of sends coming back from VEP. Being able to automate my instrument track instead of finding the audio return and automating that. Too much complexity for my blood, I'm a simple man...

To each his own. But it doesn't have to be so complicated once you get it set up.

I just click off the visibility of the MIDI tracks and then it's one audio track per instrument.

To each his own. But it doesn't have to be so complicated once you get it set up.

I just click off the visibility of the MIDI tracks and then it's one audio track per instrument.
But for me I don't even see any midi nor audio tracks until I enable the tracks I want and then it's only a single audio track per instrument and dirt simple automation. With VEP you still have to stare at and deal with untold number of midi and/or audio tracks as they are always active. I only see what I've enabled period plus my groups and sends which are separated with visibility agents.

I did when 6 One of my cores is STILL doing much more work compared to the others, but the GUI in VEPro is stable and there is no crackling, so I got that going for me at least.
Do you have any plugins in Cubase? If you have some heavy plugin chain in any of your tracks/buses, that could be the reason.

With apologies to the OP for drifiting off topic - I think yours is a perfectly valid and sensible approach, InLight-Tone. The simplicity is very appealing.

The most important thing for anyone making a decision on which way to get themselves organised is to have a good and realistic overview of what the compromises are in the different methods. For a large monotimbral Cubase disabled template, it’s primarily the poor CPU performance in Cubase, a wait for each instrument to load, massive project sizes (which multiply in autosaves and cue versions) and long save times. None of these are deal breakers for everyone necessarily, and if you can live with those it’s a great option.

All these drawbacks (except the wait for each instrument to load) disappear with a disabled VE Pro template, but then you get other drawbacks - complexity of initial setup and separate midi and audio tracks. For some, waiting any time for an instrument to load is too annoying to contemplate, and they might go for a conventional VE Pro template which offers instant access to all instruments but also huge RAM consumption and long load times at the start of a project, along with those separate audio and midi tracks.

None of these approaches is right or wrong, it’s just choosing your poison really.

With apologies to the OP for drifiting off topic - I think yours is a perfectly valid and sensible approach, InLight-Tone. The simplicity is very appealing.

The most important thing for anyone making a decision on which way to get themselves organised is to have a good and realistic overview of what the compromises are in the different methods. For a large monotimbral Cubase disabled template, it’s primarily the poor CPU performance in Cubase, a wait for each instrument to load, massive project sizes (which multiply in autosaves and cue versions) and long save times. None of these are deal breakers for everyone necessarily, and if you can live with those it’s a great option.

All these drawbacks (except the wait for each instrument to load) disappear with a disabled VE Pro template, but then you get other drawbacks - complexity of initial setup and separate midi and audio tracks. For some, waiting any time for an instrument to load is too annoying to contemplate, and they might go for a conventional VE Pro template which offers instant access to all instruments but also huge RAM consumption and long load times at the start of a project, along with those separate audio and midi tracks.

None of these approaches is right or wrong, it’s just choosing your poison really.

Like your approach Guy with disabled instruments in VEPRO and sending keyswitches at the third bar :)
Think I´m going to copy that approach as I´m running out of RAM on my slave

Do you have any plugins in Cubase? If you have some heavy plugin chain in any of your tracks/buses, that could be the reason.

None. My uneducated guess that maybe it has something to do with the multiprocessor support inside Kontakt? Maybe I mess with that next...I have lots of work this week+need to deliver some music, will report back again when I have the time. Thanks for the help so far fellas!

Sorry guys, I know it's been a while but I got back into making that template. Guess I'll be trying to add as much into VEPro (most if it is going to be disabled though) as possible to get rid of the long save times. I'm thinking I'm hitting the limits on my PC, when I get to my fourth instance I really need to start adding buffers or VEPro starts to behave sluggishly...I'm at 1024 which is still playable. Think fifth is the last I can do and still leave two cores for Cubase to use. Currently in talks with Vienna support as well...

Hi! I have the same problem, and can´t figure it out. It is definetely a Play problem as I see it. It happens in my main computer and when I tested the same instance in my slave so it is not hardware related.

I can get it to happen when loading several Play (fully loaded) tracks in VEP instances, as if it reached a tipping point and gets sluggish to the point of hanging if you open the save as window for example. I got it happening even without connecting them to cubase in both computers.

I have been in touch with vienna support also but no luck.

Hi! I have the same problem, and can´t figure it out. It is definetely a Play problem as I see it. It happens in my main computer and when I tested the same instance in my slave so it is not hardware related.

I have been in touch with vienna support also but no luck.

Sounds much like my problems...except that when the instances aren't connected to Cubase everything works splendidly on here. Do you have the latest version of Play installed? Make sure the plugin version especially is up to date...I made that mistake once already. I will report back as things progress, since I really need to get a new template up and running.

Update: So I exchanged some emails with Vienna support, and basically we concluded that I need to figure out the best way to set up VEPro for my system. They said that they don't recommend having more than 8 midi ports per instance, but for me that (probably?) wouldn't work, since I'd have to double my instances for strings,WWs and brass. I know @Mihkel Zilmer is doing just that, but his setup is quite different from mine. I will be experimenting more in the upcoming days...will report back as always.

Last edited:
Top Bottom