Help with Cinestrings Issue

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Buddy, Oct 12, 2018 at 3:58 AM.

1. Buddy

Buddy Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Anyone know how to get Cinestrings not to do a bunch of crackling at less than 512 buffer? Been wrestling with this for a long time. Hoping for a solution at every update of Cinestrings...and I'm now at 1.31.

Regularly hitting real-time ASIO peaks in Cubase with just a single instance of the sustain patch. But I also get crackles in standalone Kontakt, too. So I feel like it's not a Cubase thing.

No other library does this for me, including other Cinesamples libraries (I have most of them). I can play CineBrass at 64 buffer with no problem.

Is everyone else just dealing with this? ...Or is there something to be done?

System Info: W10, Cubase 9.5, Kontakt 5 (whatever latest version is), i7 8700k, 64gb RAM, all SSDs/m.2s. Brand new computer for music produciton only. Done all the usual PC optimization, put the Cinestrings samples on their own m.2 drive.

2. j_kranz

j_kranz Senior Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Texas
    Havent had this issue and been using cinestrings for a while. What audio interface are you using?

3. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    I also have not had this issue. In stand alone, or within Pro Tools. Could be the access off your drive, have you done a batch resave to see if that helps?

4. OP
    OP
    Buddy

Buddy Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Apollo Silverface over FW

Tried the batch resave, no luck.

What buffer are you guys able to get away with? At 512, I get no crackles (but real-time peak brushes the limit). At 256, mild crackles. At 128, unbearable.

5. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    Pro Tools doesn't crackle like other DAWS. It will just skip notes if no RAM is available, or too slow. but I actually use between 512, and also 1024 with pretty much no issues.

6. OP
    OP
    Buddy

Buddy Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Hm, CS performs OK for me at 512+ too. I want to get down to (optimally) 64 or 128. It's the only library holding me back. Interested if it performs acceptably for you (or anyone) at the lower buffer settings?

7. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    I can give it a go probably tomorrow...but is this with nothing else playing, or with many other tracks? It all depends on how many other things are going on.

8. OP
    OP
    Buddy

Buddy Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Thank you, that'd be extremely helpful. I'm talking with nothing else going. If I load up just the ensemble sustain patch only and play a few two-hand chords, it'll give me grief if under 512 buffer, most noticeably 128 and under.

9. erica-grace

erica-grace Senior Member

Sep 7, 2015
    What version of Cinestrings?

Have you tried the FW legacy 1394 bus driver?

Have you tried closing the instance of Kontakt that houses the patch?

10. OP
    OP
    Buddy

Buddy Member

Nov 28, 2017
    1.31 currently, but I've had this issue with every version along the way

No, not sure how to do that, but also a bit hesitant to mess with the firewire drivers. UA's website says: "These PCIe-to-FireWire adapter cards are tested with the FireWire driver included with Windows. When installing the cards, Windows will automatically use the built-in driver. To avoid unexpected behavior, DO NOT UPDATE THE DRIVER from the manufacturer's software disk or website, even if instructed to do so by the documentation included with the adapter cards."

So I installed my firewire adapter (the recommended Sonnet Allegro) and left it be.

Same performance with interface showing or no

11. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    I just ran a test with about a few bars of Cinestrings recorded, AND did more recording at 128 buffer and with Embertone Walker piano which is a CPU hog. plays back perfect. I'm on a fully loaded 2012 Mac mini.

SIDE NOTE: I tried it at 64 buffers, wouldn't play...got CPU error. so for me, 128 is the minimum. But even at 512, I don't feel the delay is that bad that I can't play. I recorded about 8 tracks of Cinestrings and their solo library to add to a piece I was working on, and I believe the buffer was at 1024 and I didn't have any issues.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 12:37 PM
  12. OP
    OP
    Buddy

Buddy Member

Nov 28, 2017
    That's helpful to know, thank you so much for testing. Based on my specs, I feel like I definitely should be able to get similar performance. Not really understanding why it's giving me problems. Back down the troubleshooting rabbit hole I go...

13. jaketanner

jaketanner Senior Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Easton, PA
    The crackling just might be part of Cubase. PT fortunately doesn’t do that. Before PT makes any noise, it will just not play back. It will be a CPU error...which was the case when using anything below 128 buffers.