What's new

Help me to decide between VSL Dimension and Orchestral Strings

arcy

Hi guys, I have CSS only for strings. I like CSS for their cinematic and romantic sounds. But I love VSL and their player and I use MIRx for auto panning, and I love it. I have VSL Horns, Trombones, Trumpets, Solo Horn and SE 1 and 1 plus and now I would like to add a VSL strings library to my collection. With Dimension, I can take a deep control and I can choose how many players to use. With Orchestral Strings I have more articulations and a bigger orchestra. I play various genre from pop to orchestral and cinematic. I can't decide between the two...help me please!
thanks!

Eloy

Hi guys, I have CSS only for strings. I like CSS for their cinematic and romantic sounds. But I love VSL and their player and I use MIRx for auto panning, and I love it. I have VSL Horns, Trombones, Trumpets, Solo Horn and SE 1 and 1 plus and now I would like to add a VSL strings library to my collection. With Dimension, I can take a deep control and I can choose how many players to use. With Orchestral Strings I have more articulations and a bigger orchestra. I play various genre from pop to orchestral and cinematic. I can't decide between the two...help me please!
thanks!

Get both! They are on sale this month and you will have Chamber and Orchestra strings. Combined with the/your great CSS legato you will have all the articulations - fantastic combo.

dhlkid

I used to hv orch strings
but the min i got CS2 or Spitfire or even Hollywood Str, I sold the orch str as soon as I can

unless u are really fancy dry sample

novaburst

There ia quite a lot you can do with DS, and you will need to spend time with them, orchestral is a kind of out the box sound, tone, in both cases the use of VIpro essential.

holywilly

Orchestral Strings is perfect for film score mockup due to its encyclopedia of articulations, and Dimension Strings is great to layer with other strings libraries for more expressive, intimate and detailed of sound, at least this is how I use both libraries.

I created a small ensemble (65443) using dimension strings to layer with orchestral and appassionata strings and yield a good result.

OP
arcy

arcy

Orchestral Strings is perfect for film score mockup due to its encyclopedia of articulations, and Dimension Strings is great to layer with other strings libraries for more expressive, intimate and detailed of sound, at least this is how I use both libraries.

I created a small ensemble (65443) using dimension strings to layer with orchestral and appassionata strings and yield a good result.
So, about versatility, is OS best than DS?

OP
arcy

arcy

I used to hv orch strings
but the min i got CS2 or Spitfire or even Hollywood Str, I sold the orch str as soon as I can

unless u are really fancy dry sample
I don't like Spitfire sound and the EWQL Play. I prefer the VSL consistency and coherence and use MIRx inside VIPro for a realistic panning/reverb.

Jimmy Hellfire

Depends on how you look at it. OS is a "traditional" string library in the sense that it's a certain section/ensemble size recorded as is.

For Dimension Strings on the other hand, every player in a section was miced separately, so that you can vary the size of your string ensemble. That's a kind of flexibility that very few libraries on the market offer and none of them in such a well-engineered and perfected manner as DS.

Of course, due to the number of recorded players, DS will never sound really really huge. Which I don't see as a problem, as string libraries of more compact ensemble sizes tend to sound better than the big ones, and with samples, it all kind of ends up sounding bigger than it actually is IMO.

DS sound absolutely fantastic on their own and can cover anything from chamber to studio sized string orchestra and also add a layer of realism and expressiveness to any other string library.

mikeh-375

old school
The major pain in the ass is no second violins...a terrible decision for such an august company purporting to appeal to those who can use the plethora of articulations available in the cube. The transposition trick is such a cop-out imv.

holywilly

For what I do, mainly scoring for movies & TV series, yes, I’d say it’s more versatile and resource friendly than DS. OS has encyclopedia of string articulations to produce more realistic score mockups.

My OS and DS presets have identical articulation keyswitches which I can simply duplicate midi from OS tracks to DS tracks for layering.

The legato from both libraries are really really great, OS is very smooth and DS is very expressive, get both if possible, best string libraries IMHO.

Ben

VSL
The major pain in the ass is no second violins...a terrible decision for such an august company purporting to appeal to those who can use the plethora of articulations available in the cube. The transposition trick is such a cop-out imv.
True, but I've setup the transposition trick inside Cubase (with the Midi Transformer) and it works just great.
If you get the Synchronized version, there is already a violin 2 section (it uses the transposition trick and a separat IR)
You can disable the reverb and you'll get the same dry sound. If you like the synchron sound or you have mir pro / any other good reverb, go with the synchronized version. The new player is faster and has some cool features (fx for example)

Jimmy Hellfire

It's great to have the 2nd violins ready in the Synchron version. I also think that the Synchron IRs are really good, and since you have control over the wet amount, it's quite flexible as you can keep the instruments properly spatialized and still add more of your own reverb. In the case of the Dimension Strings, the new sampler really makes things easier and quicker to use.

OP
arcy

arcy

If you have MIRx you don't have to do the transposition trick.
Anyway, I get Dimensions. Great library!

shawnsingh

It's great to have the 2nd violins ready in the Synchron version. I also think that the Synchron IRs are really good, and since you have control over the wet amount, it's quite flexible as you can keep the instruments properly spatialized and still add more of your own reverb. In the case of the Dimension Strings, the new sampler really makes things easier and quicker to use.

I don't remember it being explicitly clear from the other thread - are those IRs baked into the samples? Or Is it possible to use synchronized dimension as dry samples like the original library, too?

Top Bottom