What's new

Help me compare S1 6 and Cubase Pro 13

I checked the very last update and it was worse than ever.
I posted the question of whether DP works on Windows to a Digital Performer FB group recently, and got about a dozen responses. The results were mixed - enough to give me pause when thinking about switching over to PC. But it is working for some people...

I posted the question of whether DP works on Windows to a Digital Performer FB group recently, and got about a dozen responses. The results were mixed - enough to give me pause when thinking about switching over to PC. But it is working for some people...
Then I guess these people have either never actually tried a working DAW, or they are outright lying...

Like presets rather than a large template? More ad-hoc in the moment thinking? On the fly improvisation and go with the flow workflow that keeps you in the loop? Go Studio One.

Like everything organised and deeply integrated with one another with complex routing and advanced functionality? Slow, methodical cooking of music in complex systems rather than on the fly? Go Cubase.
This is most helpful thanks! I had been debating moving to a different DAW (Mixcraft 8, can't stand their latest two versions GUI, totally not intuitive for my workflow). And this is rather cutting to the chase. Thanks!

Speaking of GUI, I like a non-Ableton GUI, something with a console feel. I find it helps the creative process to be more fluid if I can have visual anchors as what is where on the screen. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't want to have to page through stuff every time I work.

I adopted Mixcraft over Reaper due to that.

I that regards, how do you find StudioOne default GUI?

Thanks!

This is most helpful thanks! I had been debating moving to a different DAW (Mixcraft 8, can't stand their latest two versions GUI, totally not intuitive for my workflow). And this is rather cutting to the chase. Thanks!

Speaking of GUI, I like a non-Ableton GUI, something with a console feel. I find it helps the creative process to be more fluid if I can have visual anchors as what is where on the screen. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't want to have to page through stuff every time I work.

I adopted Mixcraft over Reaper due to that.

I that regards, how do you find StudioOne default GUI?

Thanks!
For OG old school you should check Mixbus 32C 9. But wait, Harrison and SSL are one company now, so it's being said that besides Harrison's preamps/comps, Version 10 will come with integrated SSL strip channel type plugins. But for Mixing only, for editing S1 is home.

I don't have issues with S1 default and only GUI, the track colors with icons and the mixer / editor combo or the undocked editor are nice enough and I find it better than (Default) Reaper & Cubase.

But still it's a matter of taste, I really get the proper console like workflow (using a Faderport v2 too) it's just noice (never pay full price)

1709602121595.png

I read most of thread about cubase vs s1. And it seems like both can do a lot, cubase can do more for sure.
There are few bugs in studio one atm but I just like its workflow better than cubase. If I need more then 100,200,300 tracks it might change, but I’m working on more pop oriented music so track counts usually only goes 30-50, with vocals 80-100.

I love both program, and for me cubase is more stable (only crashed once in 2 month. Studio one suddenly shut down in some reason 7-10 times in few months.) but I’m creature of press save key command every few minutes so crash didn’t give me any headache yet.

and honestly if you use any of the program, you’ll find not to hard to get used to new daw (except Ableton and bitwig!)

What I want from studio one is :

1. Midi and audio version (from cubase)

2. Resizable mixer size(like cubase)

3. Big *ss meter on right side (like cubase) with VU meter on top if it’s possible.

4. I love channel strip from cubase, so some of feature from cubase would be great. At least low/high pass filter built in..

5. Better stability.

6. Better midi with external synth, drum machines.

What I want from cubase.

1. Drag & drop

2. In some reason it automatically select region even though I don’t want(if I move my keyboard or mouse to select next track, cubase select selected tracks region automatically.) it sometimes bugs me.

3. Scratch pad (from studio one)

4. Easier arrange track and marker track (in S1 it’s few less click.)

5. Don’t reserve input and output to specific bus.. actually it’s one of reason that I record and produce in studio one and Ableton. Let’s say if I create external fx using adat 1/2, I can’t use same i/o in input, output section which sucks big time(for me.) sometimes I want to track thru my bae preamps, sometimes I just want use eq, sometimes as DI. Wish they change how external fx(or input, output as well) preserve. But I guess it’s not a big issue for them since I don’t see many complaints about it.

I’m glad that I bought cubase and learned just a bit past few months. But I’m moving my all pop project to studio one or Ableton. I haven’t done mixing in cubase but I’m going to give it a go since I love its channel strip and big meter, and resizable mixer. Also occasionally I get to work orchestra stuff so for that purpose I’ll try cubase..

So my conclusion is use whatever daw you have.. but if you have to compare at least demo it for more than a month, finish 3-4 songs and write down key commands and add key commands. That way we know how certain daw works..

Last edited:
I read most of thread about cubase vs s1. And it seems like both can do a lot, cubase can do more for sure.
There are few bugs in studio one atm but I just like its workflow better than cubase. If I need more then 100,200,300 tracks it might change, but I’m working on more pop oriented music so track counts usually only goes 30-50, with vocals 80-100.

I love both program, and for me cubase is more stable (only crashed once in 2 month. Studio one suddenly shut down in some reason 7-10 times in few months.) but I’m creature of press save key command every few minutes so crash didn’t give me any headache yet.

and honestly if you use any of the program, you’ll find not to hard to get used to new daw (except Ableton and bitwig!)

What I want from studio one is :

1. Midi and audio version (from cubase)

2. Resizable mixer size(like cubase)

3. Big *ss meter on right side (like cubase) with VU meter on top if it’s possible.

4. I love channel strip from cubase, so some of feature from cubase would be great. At least low/high pass filter built in..

5. Better stability.

6. Better midi with external synth, drum machines.

What I want from cubase.

1. Drag & drop

2. In some reason it automatically select region even though I don’t want(if I move my keyboard or mouse to select next track, cubase select selected tracks region automatically.) it sometimes bugs me.

3. Scratch pad (from studio one)

5. Don’t reserve input and output to specific bus.. actually it’s one of reason that I record and produce in studio one and Ableton. Let’s say if I create external fx using adat 1/2, I can’t use same i/o in input, output section which sucks big time(for me.) sometimes I want to track thru my bae preamps, sometimes I just want use eq, sometimes as DI. Wish they change how external fx(or input, output as well) preserve. But I guess it’s not a big issue for them since I don’t see many complaints about it.

I’m glad that I bought cubase and learned just a bit past few months. But I’m moving my all pop project to studio one or Ableton. I haven’t done mixing in cubase but I’m going to give it a go since I love its channel strip and big meter, and resizable mixer. Also occasionally I get to work orchestra stuff so for that purpose I’ll try cubase..

So my conclusion is use whatever daw you have.. but if you have to compare at least demo it for more than a month, finish 3-4 songs and write down key commands and add key commands. That way we know how certain daw works..

1. Drag & drop
It may be helpful to clarify precisely what you mean here?

I use Drag & Drop all the time. Most often, dragging midi events from 3rd parties such as SD3, onto the Cubase Project Page. I also D&D a lot of internal Cubase stuff to the Cubase Project Page.

What are you specifically referring to?

From just limited views of S1 users, I agree. S1 is relatively new compared to Cubase, and IMO older code, presents more overall challenges and increased resources etc.

With that said, with use of combining Key Commands into macros, and adding the PLE or possibly LE presets into the macros, I find Cubase can be quite streamlined. However when you say "easier arrange tracks and marker track with less clicks" it's hard for me to understand without a step-by-step reproduction of your specific objective in Cubase vs. your objective in S1.

There are multiple methods (meaning Cubase track creation functions implemented over many years) to create tracks in the Cubase Arrange Page, and I'm not sure how you are going about it?

I understand...out of the box S1 may work more fluently/streamlined when working with arrange/marker tracks, and that's a huge benefit especially to new users. However, and again depending on your objectives, I question once you customize/streamline Cubase to your objectives it can't be achieved with less clicks.

To answer your questions directly:

-Cubase's MIDI editing is vastly more advanced than Studio One. The multi-view in Cubase 13 just got a vast upgrade that puts it ahead of any DAW, not just Studio One. Now, Studio One is no slouch either, but for really advanced filtering/multi-editing/customization and selection filters and/or presets for chord editing, note selection within chords all the way to per note attribute articulations and the range tool for both notes and velocity and CC-ranges, Cubase beats every DAW. And I am not even talking about the Logical Editor as well. This however depends on how deep you need to go. You might not need this functionality at all. In fact, for some people, it slows them down!

-The browser in Studio One pales in comparison to the Mediabay. The first is a browser, the other one is an actual database tool. No comparison in depth, actually. Do you need a database tool? That's the question. Also, Studio One has a better track preset system that also remembers routings/sends/busses and even creates them if they are not already there. But Cubase's Mediabay is a lot more feature heavy in terms of organisation and filtering. Cubase can remember routing and sends with presets too, but only from Track Archives that are not within Mediabay. And this is important: Cubase has more functionality, but it's also more scattered sometimes.

Outside of your question: I love Studio One, but found out I am a heavy large template used in conjunction with Vienna Ensemble Pro. I use Nuendo instead of Cubase, but for this it shouldn't make a difference.

If you need large templates (1000 tracks or more) Cubase is your only option. Studio One can't do this, period. I love the track preset system in Studio One, in theory. In practice, I don't work that way.

Studio One is faster and leaner on the surface level. Cubase stays stable at extremely high load with high track counts, sends, returns, multi-level bussing and all that. In that regard, Studio One cannot compete at all. But the question is, do you need it, and how do you work?

Like presets rather than a large template? More ad-hoc in the moment thinking? On the fly improvisation and go with the flow workflow that keeps you in the loop? Go Studio One.

Like everything organised and deeply integrated with one another with complex routing and advanced functionality? Slow, methodical cooking of music in complex systems rather than on the fly? Go Cubase.

I can't compare them clearer than that. Cubase is less lean than Studio One because it can do a lot more. That lack of lean (although they have been hard at work on this at Steinberg) in Cubase might put you off.

I don't want to work without Nuendo/Cubase, but I can see it's flaws. But for me, Studio One has greater flaws because of no large templates and less complex editing. At first glance, however, Studio One is faster. Which might do it for you, or not. I like the above comment about the way Studio One can go between audio and MIDI: that's certainly powerful. I however don't need it because of VEPro: I never have to freeze, no matter how large the project. Without VEPro, this would probably be a different story.

The big thing for me is how Cubase stays snappy under very heavy load; no other DAW does this (not even Reaper). It is specialized in that. Studio One isn't. Don't go over 300 tracks. Thank me later.
If I were going to take the time to write a thorough, thoughtful reply based on my experience with the two DAW's, I would have wrote the same almost word for word!

It may be helpful to clarify precisely what you mean here?

What are you specifically referring to?
I'm referring to drag&drop everything inside S1, it's require few less mouse click I think. let's say I want to load a few plugin, I can just hit F6 and click favorite, and drag&drop, that's it. in Cubase, it's just few more click. In some reason, ( I started Studio one first so I'm just so used to it) it's more easier that way as well as mark few plugins as my favorite is much easier than cubase.

also, Arranger track in Studio one is behavior different than cubase but I prefer S1 in this regards. (But I see Cubase's arranger track is also good enough). if you duplicate Verse (let's say 8 bar). I just hold Verse and Drag it to another measure and boom, every track is there.

but as I'm working on a song and I'm back and forth between S1 and cubase (same tracks and audio files to see what works better) and today I realized I love cubase's midi editor (so far just look of it :) it's easier on arranger window as well as inside of midi editor, easier to read.

but just faced a midi issue(user error I think) but it's another topic so I won't bring it in here.

I guess I'm not following you? I suppose 1 click to open the left zone? The C13 pics of each VSTI are optional of course if you want to see a larger selection without scrolling...
I know this, just it’s easier as I can see favorite right away(in S51.) in cubase you have to click vst icon and then find a plugin and drag&drop.

Anyway c13 is giving me a headache atm (in some reason it’s being very laggy.), not sure what went wrong

Top Bottom