What's new

Help me choose the next library

MYSA

Hello guys,

This is my first thread, but following the forum for a while now. If I posted this in the wrong category, just tell me and I delete it.

So, I started composing with virtual instruments a few months ago. My first and only library was Jaeger. It worked fine until now, since I'm doing orchestral/trailer tracks, and learning a lot (since I'm a rookie).

Now I'm feeling that I needed to be able to reach differents sounds. For example: IMO the sound of the basses of Jaeger is weird, so my songs always lack low end (have to EQ a lot to get some "ok" sound).

And, of course, has no woodwinds.

So, I'm trying to find some libraries that can be layered with the stuff that I already have (strings and brass from Jaeger) and get great sound to orchestral/epic/trailer music.

Which library do you guys recommend to layering or working with Jaeger instruments (especially strings)? Thanks!!

Welcome. And do try EastWest Composer Cloud. It's one of the best ways to get around before you choose to purchase more libraries. Because you will.

I would definitely go with Metropolis Ark 1. I use it in most my compositions. Albion one is a great library but it can't compare to Metropolis Ark 1 when it comes to epic trailer music. You also get a decent choir which Albion one doesn't include.

Welcome. And do try EastWest Composer Cloud. It's one of the best ways to get around before you choose to purchase more libraries. Because you will.
Hey there. Already tried and its very good! But since the exchange rate in my country is so high, I stopped renting those instruments. For me is better to wait the exchange drops and buy a library.

A lot of comments about ARK1. But I write quieter stuff too, and what I heard from the demos and reviews, ARK 1 is very very loud. Can I write gentle stuff with it?

I see that a lot of people here really likes CSS. How does it work with Jaeger? Blends well?

Hey there. Already tried and its very good! But since the exchange rate in my country is so high, I stopped renting those instruments. For me is better to wait the exchange drops and buy a library.

A lot of comments about ARK1. But I write quieter stuff too, and what I heard from the demos and reviews, ARK 1 is very very loud. Can I write gentle stuff with it?

I see that a lot of people here really likes CSS. How does it work with Jaeger? Blends well?

Yes it is loud and dynamic but it is possible to write quiet stuff with it but maybe not recommended. In some layers you can choose from MF F and FFF (if I remember correctly). So, when i write quieter stuff I tend to chose Albion One along with others like Cinematic strings.
I have not tried CSS but that is not a bundle like ARK 1 right? I don't know how well it blends with others. ARK 1 and Albion 1 goes along fine together according to me.

Yes it is loud and dynamic but it is possible to write quiet stuff with it but maybe not recommended. In some layers you can choose from MF F and FFF (if I remember correctly). So, when i write quieter stuff I tend to chose Albion One along with others like Cinematic strings.
I have not tried CSS but that is not a bundle like ARK 1 right? I don't know how well it blends with others. ARK 1 and Albion 1 goes along fine together according to me.
CSS is not a bundle. Is just strings. But I don't mind to buy a focus library, since it works fine with what I have.

No high woodwinds.
Only low woodwinds? Didn't know that.

Metropolis Ark 1 and Albion One are both great libraries but are a bit limited. I only have Metropolis from the two and I hardly use the strings or woodwinds from it. The choir sounds amazing and is the best part of the library imo. Brass is okay but a bit too limited and I really miss legato for trumpets.

If you want to dive in more into the orchestration and different colors of the orchestra, I would suggest that you check out The Orchestra by Sonuscore. It will give you invidual ensembles for all the basic instruments and as well as the basic percussion.

If you already have an ensemble library, then I'd say a good quality string library is a better bet than another ensemble type library.

ARK 1 is good, but you are correct, it is very focused on the louder stuff. With few exceptions, it isn't gonna work for less bombastic styles. ARK 2 is much better for the soft to moderate stuff. Personally I find ARK 2 to be a lot more versatile in general. But even if you got either of these, you are spending a lot of money when probably you are just looking for more versatile strings.

A good versatile string library is pretty much always my first recommendation for someone getting more into virtual instruments. Plus it sounds like you are leaning this way already.

CSS is very good, and is what I recommend, but it does depend a bit on what your own personal tastes are, and how you intent to use it. It doesn't have some of the articulations you get in some other libraries, but what it has is plenty still, and is very good quality.

I do sometimes find myself supplementing CSS's low end with Spitfire though (with their Symphonic Strings, the octave legato strings patch from the legacy Albion 1 [there's nothing better!], or other Spitfire stuff I have). I find CSS by itself needs a bit of support in that lower range if you are writing something that needs weight to it. If supplementing the low end, or the basses in particular, is what you are really concerned about, it's worth looking at Spitfire. I mean any of the series that are recorded in the main Air Lyndhurst Hall, as the basses recorded in that hall have a very nice meatiness to them that's hard to get from other libraries.

Do you want to continue with section (i.e. hi winds, low brass) based libraries or individual (solo or section i.e. solo flute, oboes a2) instruments? That will eliminate a lot of choices and narrow down the focus on options.

Last edited:
the thing is, ark 1 gives you *some* new tools, but its significantly better sounding tools for big and epic trailer stuff than jaeger. Hence people are suggesting it.

If you're looking for the ability to go softer and have more control/ect you're looking at buying into more complete section libraries.

i.e. BWW + SCS + CSB + Cineperc. not those libraries specifically - however, you'll want to look at libraries individually to see if they have the section goals you're after, rather than buying another all-in-one that's not very complete on an instrument level.

The only "soft" library I can think of is more about sections/ect is albion V tundra and ark 2.

If you want to dive in more into the orchestration and different colors of the orchestra, I would suggest that you check out The Orchestra by Sonuscore. It will give you invidual ensembles for all the basic instruments and as well as the basic percussion.

I'll check out The Orchestra! Maybe the patches there will help me to make another kind of sound. Thanks!

If you already have an ensemble library, then I'd say a good quality string library is a better bet than another ensemble type library.

ARK 1 is good, but you are correct, it is very focused on the louder stuff. With few exceptions, it isn't gonna work for less bombastic styles. ARK 2 is much better for the soft to moderate stuff. Personally I find ARK 2 to be a lot more versatile in general. But even if you got either of these, you are spending a lot of money when probably you are just looking for more versatile strings.

A good versatile string library is pretty much always my first recommendation for someone getting more into virtual instruments. Plus it sounds like you are leaning this way already.

CSS is very good, and is what I recommend, but it does depend a bit on what your own personal tastes are, and how you intent to use it. It doesn't have some of the articulations you get in some other libraries, but what it has is plenty still, and is very good quality.

I do sometimes find myself supplementing CSS's low end with Spitfire though (with their Symphonic Strings, the octave legato strings patch from the legacy Albion 1 [there's nothing better!], or other Spitfire stuff I have). I find CSS by itself needs a bit of support in that lower range if you are writing something that needs weight to it. If supplementing the low end, or the basses in particular, is what you are really concerned about, it's worth looking at Spitfire. I mean any of the series that are recorded in the main Air Lyndhurst Hall, as the basses recorded in that hall have a very nice meatiness to them that's hard to get from other libraries.

I was thinking about taking this kind of library that is more versatile and works well with what I already have. But I believe that, since the samples of Jaeger sounds very dry I think I can make it work with another libraries easily, or am I wrong?

For what I heard from demos and overview, CSS has a warm and mellow sound. Jaeger has a harsh sound on violins. So, I'll be covered on this point and will be able to write softer and melodic stuffs.

Now, I didn't know abou the lack of low end in CSS. I'll check the libraries that you mentioned from Spitifire too. It is a bit pricey for me, though.

Do you want to continue with section (i.e. hi winds, low brass) based libraries or individual (solo or section i.e. solo flute, oboes a2) instruments? That will eliminate a lot of choices and narrow down the focus on options.
I didn't start to think about solo instruments yet. But it will be a bonus if my next library have it.

the thing is, ark 1 gives you *some* new tools, but its significantly better sounding tools for big and epic trailer stuff than jaeger. Hence people are suggesting it.

If you're looking for the ability to go softer and have more control/ect you're looking at buying into more complete section libraries.

i.e. BWW + SCS + CSB + Cineperc. not those libraries specifically - however, you'll want to look at libraries individually to see if they have the section goals you're after, rather than buying another all-in-one that's not very complete on an instrument level.

The only "soft" library I can think of is more about sections/ect is albion V tundra and ark 2.

I'll check them out! Yes, trying to go for a focus library rather than "all-in-one" kind.

I am sure that Jaeger already covers the epic trailer sound pretty well, and has a lot of similarities with Ark 1 and Albion One. I would go for versatility, remember that you can use samples that are not designed for "epic music" for epic music as well. And sometimes it works better that way.

You can get the epic trailer sound I think you're after with a combination of unison and concerted writing, especially two 8ves apart; probably big percussion, which you can create with parallel compression and big reverb; and just big reverb.

Preset thick, loud ensemble sections are good for saving time, but it's not mandatory to start with them. You don't necessarily even need huge sections, with the possible exception of brass (especially horns - it's hard to get the big-penis sound with a solo Fr hn).

I learned that on my first demo tape after college. Overdubbing a small string ensemble three times - 3 vlns, 1 vla, 1 cello - sounded like a *lot* of strings after being mixed well.

I am sure that Jaeger already covers the epic trailer sound pretty well, and has a lot of similarities with Ark 1 and Albion One. I would go for versatility, remember that you can use samples that are not designed for "epic music" for epic music as well. And sometimes it works better that way.
Which libraries do you recommend for versatility? CSS is one that already was said, but how about winds and brass?

And, is it worth it to get CSSS also? I checked the website and they offer a bundle with a good discount on CSSS when buying CSS.

You can get the epic trailer sound I think you're after with a combination of unison and concerted writing, especially two 8ves apart; probably big percussion, which you can create with parallel compression and big reverb; and just big reverb.

Preset thick, loud ensemble sections are good for saving time, but it's not mandatory to start with them. You don't necessarily even need huge sections, with the possible exception of brass (especially horns - it's hard to get the big-penis sound with a solo Fr hn).

I learned that on my first demo tape after college. Overdubbing a small string ensemble three times - 3 vlns, 1 vla, 1 cello - sounded like a *lot* of strings after being mixed well.

I see what you mean. Well, I have some epic percs that I got from Komplete 12 Ultimate.

I'll try to make this trick with small string ensemble! Thanks for the tip!!

Already loving this forum!! :)

I'll try to make this trick with small string ensemble! Thanks for the tip!!

To be clear, working with samples is different from live players. I'm sure it's obvious that layering the same sample three times isn't the same thing! :)

To be clear, working with samples is different from live players. I'm sure it's obvious that layering the same sample three times isn't the same thing! :)
This won't work if it is the same samples. But I will check if I have some cheap/freebie strings samples that I'm not using and try to make them sound different layering and mixing them. Maybe this will work? I don't know, I'll try, though.

But right now, just trying to choose my next purchase. And probably will be CSS.

If you guys have more libraries that is versatile, please, don't hold back. Let me know :)

There is so many excellent libraries that it's impossible to mention all of them, but I hope this get's you started:

Strings:
LA Scoring Strings (V3 is coming soon I guess) - pretty dry, really versatile sound, full divisi.
Spitfire Chamber Strings - smaller sections, detailed sound and articulations, recorded at Air.
Trailer Strings - really playable, big sections, amazing sound and low end, no legato.

Brass:
Cinematic Scoring Brass - perfect integration with CSS, good all around library.
CineBrass - recorded at Sony, great for punchy brass lines and shorts, Monster Low Brass patch.
Caspian Brass - really playable, limited on articulations, no tuba.

Woodwinds:
Berlin Woodwinds - probably the holy grail of woodwind libraries at the moment, lot of instruments and articulations, expensive and resource hungry.
CineWinds - good all around library, with the recent update the legato is better as well.
VSL SE Woodwinds - best bang for the buck, bone dry, amazing legato, needs some mixing to shine.
Auddict Woodwinds - nice sound and very versatile legato, has a lot of microphones, missing some instruments.

Full orchestra:
The Orchestra - no solo instruments, unique sketching tool with midi drag and drop, only basic articulations, new Strings of Winter included with the complete version.
Iconica - all the basic instruments, solo instruments included in woodwinds and brass, lots of articulations, a bit pricey, has a 30-day free trial.
VSL SE Synchronized - all the basic instruments, solo instruments included in all the sections, lots of articulations, dry sound might not be for everybody.

Top Bottom