What's new

Help me choose the next library

markleake

Recovering sale addict
I was thinking about taking this kind of library that is more versatile and works well with what I already have. But I believe that, since the samples of Jaeger sounds very dry I think I can make it work with another libraries easily, or am I wrong?

For what I heard from demos and overview, CSS has a warm and mellow sound. Jaeger has a harsh sound on violins. So, I'll be covered on this point and will be able to write softer and melodic stuffs.

Now, I didn't know abou the lack of low end in CSS. I'll check the libraries that you mentioned from Spitifire too. It is a bit pricey for me, though.
Yep, CSS is a pretty easy choice.

Not to say there aren't other good options out there also, but CSS is the most recommended here on this forum, and for good reason. It's very consistent, easy to use, sounds great, flexible to most use scenarios, wonderfully expressive (the legatos are to die for), and well priced. The legato has a lag to it, but that is quick to learn how to work with it.

CSS's tone is darker compared to some other string libraries. If you don't want that, it responds very well to EQ to lift the highs some, so it's not an issue.

I'm not saying the basses are weak in CSS, they are just less 'bass heavy' than eg. Spitfire, which has that huge hall to deepen the bass tone better. I just note this as an FYI, because you mentioned being disappointed about the basses in Jaeger. I don't have Jaeger to compare CSS to.

Also FYI, I think for most items you buy from Cinematic Studios, they give you discounts for any future purchase of their other products. I don't know if buying at same time vs. buying CSS and CSSS together you get a better discount. It may be similar (or same?), so probably you don't need to commit to getting CSSS at the same time as CSS.

ProfoundSilence

css is cheap and effective. It's a bread and butter library - without a whole lot of extra articulations/flexibility in that regards - but it does a core set of articulations without much fuss, isn't brutal on resources - and is financially a great value. I absolutely despise that alex's libraries fade to silence, but the rebowed legato is basically the best on the market bar none.

libraries like SCS/SSS have a large amount of articulations if that's something you're actually after - but isn't scripted nearly as well.

libraries like berlin strings are basically endless - but require a significant investment along with an extremely powerful machine.

All in all - CSB/CSS/BWW/cineperc is what I would suggest to a regular joe. All 4 are well recorded, well scripted, and have mixed mic positions(BWW legacy comes with revive). The key thing with woodwinds is that you shouldn't use ensembles/solo instruments to play chords - it's painfully obvious with woodwinds(thus libraries with separate players recorded are much better) so if you for some odd reason wont do BWW, make sure you pick up something infinite woodwinds chris hein woodwinds, ect - that have separate players.

OP
M

MYSA

So guys, sorry for taking a while to reply here, but HEY! I bought CSS and YES, it is amazing!! Already writing some stuff and loving the results so far.

Yep, CSS is a pretty easy choice.

Not to say there aren't other good options out there also, but CSS is the most recommended here on this forum, and for good reason. It's very consistent, easy to use, sounds great, flexible to most use scenarios, wonderfully expressive (the legatos are to die for), and well priced. The legato has a lag to it, but that is quick to learn how to work with it.

CSS's tone is darker compared to some other string libraries. If you don't want that, it responds very well to EQ to lift the highs some, so it's not an issue.

I'm not saying the basses are weak in CSS, they are just less 'bass heavy' than eg. Spitfire, which has that huge hall to deepen the bass tone better. I just note this as an FYI, because you mentioned being disappointed about the basses in Jaeger. I don't have Jaeger to compare CSS to.

Also FYI, I think for most items you buy from Cinematic Studios, they give you discounts for any future purchase of their other products. I don't know if buying at same time vs. buying CSS and CSSS together you get a better discount. It may be similar (or same?), so probably you don't need to commit to getting CSSS at the same time as CSS.
Yes, you are right! I love the sound of CSS. About the lag: I'm used to deal with this kind of library. Jaeger has 125ms delay as default on all samples. Even shorts, wich is weird having such huge delay on shorts, but Ok, I got used to it.

About the discount, thank you telling me this. This opens new possibilites on the future!
All in all - CSB/CSS/BWW/cineperc is what I would suggest to a regular joe. All 4 are well recorded, well scripted, and have mixed mic positions(BWW legacy comes with revive). The key thing with woodwinds is that you shouldn't use ensembles/solo instruments to play chords - it's painfully obvious with woodwinds(thus libraries with separate players recorded are much better) so if you for some odd reason wont do BWW, make sure you pick up something infinite woodwinds chris hein woodwinds, ect - that have separate players.
Well, I woud love to have BWW, because now, I am missing only woodwinds (the woodwinds essentials from NI that I have, feels limited). But BWW it is really expensive for me. The exchange rate is too high for euro, unfortunately.

Phil Harmony

For orchestral Trailer sound, I would use The Orchestra as basic orchestral lib, as you can get a very impressive big orchestral sound easlily, using the multis;). Metropolis Ark is very good as well, they have a lot of nice patches that sound big, too!

Top Bottom