What's new

HELP !!! Logic x sequence won’t load

DanPhaseMusic

Hi There

I’ve had this same thing with a few projects now. At a seemingly random point the sequence I’m working on won’t load. It go’s through the motions of loading instruments/ plug ins etc then hangs whilst displaying just the key edit window. Logic is then unresponsive and just beachballs.

Previously I got round it by re importing everything into a new sequence but I found that the same thing happens to the new sequence after a while. WTF ?

This only seems to happen on big projects when the track count is 70 +

I’m running the latest Logic with a lot of Kontakt a million different plugs

I’ve no idea if it’s related but I also get a lot of very sudden crashes when importing audio. There’s no specific pattern to it. Sometimes the audio is 96k sometimes 48k...another thing I’m mystified about.

I’ve got big deadlines and this really getting me down if anyone can help I’d be very grateful.

Thanks

Dan

have you tried creating a new seesion and importing tracks via the browser in logic (bottom right).?

you might be hitting a limit w big sessions. something ive noticed with logic and my sessions once i start getting big templates and doing many save as.

have you tried creating a new seesion and importing tracks via the browser in logic (bottom right).?

you might be hitting a limit w big sessions. something ive noticed with logic and my sessions once i start getting big templates and doing many save as.

Hi

Thanks for responding. I have done that and I found that the same thing happened to the new sequence. Loads all the instruments/plugs/audio then hangs while showing me just one window normally key edit sometimes the audio mixer.

I’m pretty sure it’s not a limit as I had tracks with track counts of up to 150 + that have been fine.

I did notice that it seems to happen on sequences where I’ve imported tracks from another Logic sequence.

Any more ideas ?

Thanks

Dan

yes, logic is buggy on big sessions. its not all big sessions. its not all the time. and its not a specific thing. its just that it hits some sort of limit and from there these bugs happen. in all versions pretty much. not an exact science... but not conforting either sorry.

can you load your project bypassing all plugins just to trouble shoot?
or load them my importing into a new session a few at a time.
and see until when it fails.
then maybe do bounce in place to render the audio instead of using plugins.
or if you can open a project then before playback do a freeze on all tracks.

I've had this one time. I did an import session without plugins and instruments, only MIDI content, and I begun again using only stock plugins till i needed something special..

a million different plugs

Hey Big Deadline Dan- turn off the audio driver and see if it'll load. Sounds like you need to par back your plugin fetish my friend. Each plugin adds to the crash factor because it needs its own memory space and addressing. IMHO use more of the same type, better yet, when in the heat of battle simplify and use stock LPX plugs.

from someone who's been there and back

Thank for all the reply's. I've got the sequence working again by re importing the whole thing into a new sequence but i fear it's just a matter of time before the new one does the the same thing. I had sequences before where there's a dodgy plug in and it seems a bit different.....

Thanks for the responses.

Cheers

Dan

Yep it's just done the same thing in new sequence. It played back. I imported one bit of audio. It crashed. Now it back to going through the motion of loading then just showing me the mixer window but with nothing in it and Logic is beach-balling..ARRRGGG !!

Hey Big Deadline Dan- turn off the audio driver and see if it'll load. Sounds like you need to par back your plugin fetish my friend. Each plugin adds to the crash factor because it needs its own memory space and addressing. IMHO use more of the same type, better yet, when in the heat of battle simplify and use stock LPX plugs.

from someone who's been there and back

Hi

When you say turn off the audio driver exactly what do you mean ? And what do's it mean if it will load like this ?

Thanks

Hi

When you say turn off the audio driver exactly what do you mean ? And what do's it mean if it will load like this ?

Thanks

We can disable the audio driver in Logic (the checkbox in the audio menu pref) and this allows a couple things. It turns off the audio, but allows you to open projects rather quickly. This can help when you are pooched and are having problems with a certain project. It’s a way of trying to nail down if a plugin or audio issue is causing the problem.

I’ve seen just about every kind of project mashup issue there is, and most of them occur because of a plugin or instrument that doesn’t want to play nice with the others. Sometimes the only fix is to import everything into a new project. When you want to try that, the order of things is-

Import global settings- sync settings, then tempo, then signature, then markers
Import everythng else in. It really helps to start from a template which negates the need to import many things like auxes, midi objects etc etc.

And if you are scoring a show, make everything audio if you can in case of massive project failure, that way, you have audio files you can extract from the project if it gets so ugly you want to just start from a virgin project.

Logic supports (MIDI Environment)

• 256 Audio Channels
  • 256 Software Instrument Channels
  • 256 Auxiliary Channels
  • 64 Busses
  • 256 Master Channels
I don't know how many tracks, presumably at least as much, probably unlimited. Unlikely that fundamentally Logic can't handle this. You didn't say anything about your computer (how much RAM/CPU?) and plugins other than "latest Logic with a lot of Kontakt a million different plugs" which is probably the problem. Plugins are finicky, most of the time when Logic has an issue it's a plugin and not Logic.

If you're not getting crash logs then sample it and see which plugin is running, that's probably the problem. Use the Activity Monitor, select Logic, then Information I think, anyhow there's a "Sample" button which will give you call stacks for the various threads.

Sorry for the poor grammar.

I’m using a 4.2 kHz 5680 with 64g of ram. My ‘million’ plug-ins is probably more like 80 ish but it’s a trailer tune with a lot going on....

So after importing everything into a new project and having it do exactly the same thing I tried going back to the original project and just waiting while it beach balled. After 5 minutes the project came back and was fine to work on until I tried to import some audio at which point it crashed and I was back to waiting again.

Has anyone else experienced sudden crashes after importing audio ? It often seems to be audio files from trailer based libs from people like Sampketraxx, Boom, Keepforest etc. Could it be a sample rate issue ? I emailed some of the devs and they all said they hadn’t heard of anything like that happening.

Thanks for the help with my very boring problem.

Dan

Do you mean just dragging the audio file in from its folder as opposed to importing it from within Logic ? I always import from within logic. What difference do you think this would make ?

Top Bottom