What's new

Hello Everyone! I am a Cubase fanatic

zzjrh7

Jim Johnston....New Member
I am an American composer born in 1958. I attended the University of Michigan where I majored in composition. During my time there I studied with several composers including Leslie Bassett, William Bolcom, and William Albright. I also was involved in master classes and performances of works by Phil Glass, Joseph Schwantner, and Christopher Rouse. After graduating from the University of Michigan I spent the next 40 years in Information Technology (primarily at General Motors) but still continued to compose and collaborate with other artists. During my time at GM I also attended the Recording Institute of Detroit and graduated from their Associate Recording Engineer/Producer Program. Today, I am an accomplished composer and producer of music using home personal computers. I have an extensive library of my works on YouTube that span over 50 years (https://www.youtube.com/DigitalGardenJJ/videos). Would love to strike up a conversation about doing music for film.

Welcome to VI-C Jim. :thumbsup:
Thank you 3DC for the lovely quote from MLK. I admired him very much. The quote is a good summary of being a musician and especially a composer.
Take Care...Jim

Reactions: 3DC
Nice to be here sathyva! Are you a composer? If so how would you define your style?

Hello & Welcome Jim. I envy your contact with Joseph Schwantner. He is, I think, the contemporary American composer I admire the most. His sound palette is extraordinary, and I love how hard he makes the percussion section work in many of his pieces.

Hello & Welcome Jim. I envy your contact with Joseph Schwantner. He is, I think, the contemporary American composer I admire the most. His sound palette is extraordinary, and I love how hard he makes the percussion section work in many of his pieces.
Hi Vonk ! Of all the composers I have studied with, Joseph Schwantner has had the most lasting impact on my compositional style. He was also a very kind and gentle person who was always very positive about the students he worked with. I was lucky enough to take a couple master classes with him at the Univ of Mich and kept in touch with him for many years after. Have unfortunately lost contact with him in the past 10 years or so. I was also fortunate to be able to perform in 2 of his works in college: ...and the mountains rising nowhere and Sparrows. Very memorable.
Take Care.......Jim

Hi Vonk ! Of all the composers I have studied with, Joseph Schwantner has had the most lasting impact on my compositional style. He was also a very kind and gentle person who was always very positive about the students he worked with. I was lucky enough to take a couple master classes with him at the Univ of Mich and kept in touch with him for many years after. Have unfortunately lost contact with him in the past 10 years or so. I was also fortunate to be able to perform in 2 of his works in college: ...and the mountains rising nowhere and Sparrows. Very memorable.
Take Care.......Jim
BTW I greatly enjoyed the music attached to your post. I especially enjoyed 3 Landscape Painters.

BTW I greatly enjoyed the music attached to your post. I especially enjoyed 3 Landscape Painters.
Thank you for your kind remark. I've worked with Cubase for many years - my job involved soundtrack preparation as an editor. I took to composition a few years ago when I retired. It has certainly been an absorbing occupation, there is so much to learn. Your remarks also had me visit Schwantner's home page, and watch a couple of the performances on there, which are brilliant.

Top Bottom